2018 Baseball Thread

Might as well start this thread.

Three games uptown were announced today for the 2018 season.

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=13px]March 13 vs Wake Forest [/size][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=13px]March 20 vs Arkansas [/size][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=13px]March 21 vs Arkansas (On Campus)[/size][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=13px]March 27 vs UNC-Chapel Hill[/size][/font]

Other games on the 2018 schedule so far from teams that have already released:

February 23-25 at Georgia

April 3 at UNCG

April 13-15 at LaTech

April 24 Wake Forest (at the Hayes)

We are also expecting to be hosting ECU on a weekend series at the Hayes.

clt asks why are we referring to CHeat as “UNC”?

List them as UNC Chapel Hill. Don’t be a beta.

Some Fall exhibitions coming next week:

Tuesday October 17- Scrimmage vs Czech Republic National Team 5:00
Friday October 20- Green/White Scrimmage 5:00

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/10/10/baseball-49ers-to-host-czech-nat-l-team-tuesday-hc-events.aspx

Exhibition tonight vs Czech Republic National team.

After seeing one practice last month, and assuming everyone is healthy, here is my way too early line-up prediction.

Reece Hampton CF
Drew Ober LF
Jackson Mims 3B
Harris Yett DH/ C
Dominick Cammarata RF
Zack Smith C/ DH
Jesse Gonzales 1B
Hunter Jones SS
Tommy Bullock 2B

The practice I saw a month ago, Jones was only playing the field because he was still recovering from wrist surgery, Yett was out with a back injury, and Ober was not out there.

Tate Pennington was at SS opposite of Jones
Jake Whitcomb was opposite Bullock at 2B
Eric Lansinger was alternating at 3B with Mims
Sam Mennitt was Catching opposite of Smith. Seems like he can play anywhere.
Chase Haywood and Brandon Kunz were out in LF in Ober’s absence.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the Freshman at DH or 1B, depending on how much offense they bring. Lansinger had a pretty big frame.
I’m guessing whoever has the biggest bat between Bullock, Whitcomb, and Pennington will be our 2B. I’ll give the edge to the JUCO.
Zack Smith and Yett could alternate at 1B and C this season, opening up the DH spot.

[font=arial][size=1em]Not much to take away from the 3-0 win except for where the new guys are playing. Still didn’t see Ober last night, which is concerning. Here was the line-up.

Hampton-8[/size][/font]
Elwood-7
Mims-5
Yett-2
Smith-3
Cammarata-9
Bullock-4
McLaughlin-DH
Jones-6

Elwood was in LF, and lefty McLaughlin was the DH. He was a late JUCO signee.

Pitching only allowed 3 hits and had a no-hitter after 6. Got a look a a few new guys. Here’s who pitched.
[font=arial][size=1em]Jonah Patten 2 IP [/size][/font]
[size=1em][font=arial]Josh Maciejewski 2 IP [/font][/size]
[size=1em][font=arial]Patrick Szczypinski - FR RHP [/font][/size]
[size=1em][font=arial]J[/font][/size][font=verdana][size=1em][font=arial]oey Cooner, Jr. - JR LHP [/font][/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em][font=arial]Philip Perry [/font][/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em][font=arial]Matt Brooks [/font][/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em][font=arial]Carson Pinkney JR- RHP[/font][/size][/font]

[size=small]http://charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/10/17/baseball-blanks-czech-republic-3-0-in-tuesday-exhib.aspx[/size]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:5, topic:31111”]Exhibition tonight vs Czech Republic National team.

After seeing one practice last month, and assuming everyone is healthy, here is my way too early line-up prediction.

Reece Hampton CF
Drew Ober LF
Jackson Mims 3B
Harris Yett DH/ C
Dominick Cammarata RF
Zack Smith C/ DH
Jesse Gonzales 1B
Hunter Jones SS
Tommy Bullock 2B

The practice I saw a month ago, Jones was only playing the field because he was still recovering from wrist surgery, Yett was out with a back injury, and Ober was not out there.

Tate Pennington was at SS opposite of Jones
Jake Whitcomb was opposite Bullock at 2B
Eric Lansinger was alternating at 3B with Mims
Sam Mennitt was Catching opposite of Smith. Seems like he can play anywhere.
Chase Haywood and Brandon Kunz were out in LF in Ober’s absence.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the Freshman at DH or 1B, depending on how much offense they bring. Lansinger had a pretty big frame.
I’m guessing whoever has the biggest bat between Bullock, Whitcomb, and Pennington will be our 2B. I’ll give the edge to the JUCO.
Zack Smith and Yett could alternate at 1B and C this season, opening up the DH spot.[/quote]

Whitcomb is going to be a solid talent, and the type of player you want in your program. Ober is also incredibly talented. Excited about this group.

Appears we have serviceable pitching, and a really good defense, but this group may struggle
to score runs…especially if word gets around that no one on the team seems to be able to hit an off speed pitch other than Hampton.

If anybody buys the seats beside chapel hill’s dugout before me, were gonna fight.

Me and Mike Fox are BFF.

Lewis, I’ll get you if you make the trip.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:10, topic:31111”]If anybody buys the seats beside chapel hill’s dugout before me, were gonna fight.

Me and Mike Fox are BFF.

Lewis, I’ll get you if you make the trip.[/quote]

First round is on me if this scenario comes to fruition. 8)

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:10, topic:31111”]If anybody buys the seats beside chapel hill’s dugout before me, were gonna fight.

Me and Mike Fox are BFF.

The internal battle between SPEW VITRIOL AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS and I’M TOO OLD TO SAY THESE THINGS AT A COLLEGE BASEBALL GAME is already brewing.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:12, topic:31111”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:10, topic:31111”]If anybody buys the seats beside chapel hill’s dugout before me, were gonna fight.

Me and Mike Fox are BFF.

The internal battle between SPEW VITRIOL AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS and I’M TOO OLD TO SAY THESE THINGS AT A COLLEGE BASEBALL GAME is already brewing.[/quote]

braille is like “What internal battle?” ;D

Pretty cool time at the Green-White Game on Friday. There was a reunion for players who played in the Gary Robinson Era for Homecoming Weekend. They stopped the game in the 7th inning and honored them and unveiled a new plaque at the Hayes. These were the guys who physically built the baseball stadium back in the early 80’s.

That’s cool to know that some student-athletes back in the day built their own field. How soon will Phil be removing the plaque?

Sacred ground!

Some new renderings of the new indoor hitting facility.

They have started construction on relocating the home bullpen which will now be behind the RF fence. The wooden fence has been taken down. I believe construction on the indoor facility starts at the 1st of the year.

Mr. B, I know this is probably like asking if Water is wet, but the hitting facility will be a functional bullpen for when it’s really freaking cold… right? Just making sure. I know you ideally want both accessible during games.

Will this be built down the right field line? Did the alum baseball players fund this building?

If I remember correctly one person put up $250k and wanted to remain anonymous. The school would like to put their name on it. I don’t know if they were a former player. Maybe we will find out soon which direction they went.