Charlotte College Student Newspaper

http://newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn91068263/1963-05-01/ed-1/seq-1/

Charlotte College student newspaper from May 1963 with article about the college becoming a 4-year school.

Also, ironic to note the “Save-The-Barn Campaign” article. Sounds like the students raised the $2,500 to move the barn, but obviously it got torn down anyway. Sounds familiar.

Also references NC State and their name change battles in the early '60s. (UNC at Raleigh in 1962, North Carolina State of the University of North Carolina in 1963, North Carolina State at Raleigh in 1965).

Neat to look at the other available pages:

3 Likes

November 1950, Kennedy is already talking about making Charlotte College a 4-year school.

Man, that old barn would have been something special to have around.

1 Like

I can’t get to it from work, but if you Google “UNCC Barn” in Images you can see a picture of it next to Kennedy and Macy buildings. Maybe someone else can post it here.

It originally was where Colvard is today.

Also, while looking for that photo, I came across a photo of our 1955 basketball team.

clt says it is likely best the barn is gone. Any appys attending our game would have naturally wondered that way looking for fun.

I played there in 1957 and 1958. Had the same coach, Buddy Smith (played at Wake Forest), If I remember correctly #10 is John Kilgo.