College basketball scandal

Four men’s college basketball assistants among the ten arrested on fraud and corruption charges - Tony Bland, USC; Lamont Evans, Oklahoma State; Chuck Person, Auburn; and Emmanuel “Book” Richardson, Arizona.

CBSSports.com: Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

ESPN.com: NCAA basketball coaches among 10 charged with fraud, corruption

Courier-Journal.com: University of Louisville recruits swept up in college basketball scandal

More…

CBSSports.com: Don’t be shocked college hoops is dirty, be surprised it took so long to get exposed

clt bets good ol Roy is burning documents right now.

Pat Forde has some thoughts on the subject.

Yahoo.com: Louisville basketball should be given death penalty if bombshell NCAA allegations prove true

As the FBI digs through this I imagine they are going to find a $100,000 deposit in Brian Bowen’s parents’ bank account. That is going to lead to the “where did this money come from, and why did you not pay income taxes on it” conversation. Then, in an attempt to cut a deal to avoid Federal charges, Bowen’s parents are going to start ratting people out. And each person they name will name more to get their own deal.

If Adidas was doing this, were UA and Nike? It is hard to believe that many of the best players in college basketball were going to Nike schools just because they like the shoes, especially if Adidas was offering cash. I am sure the DOJ will be digging there too.

Could this be the biggest scandal in sports history? Since it is fairly clear that the shoe companies care very little about the G5 schools will this miss us and decimate the P5? Or, is decimate too strong a word and only the top schools are going to be touched? Does this all lead to the P5 breakaway from the NCAA and paying players above the table to steer clear of legal issues? There are so many questions, and it looks like this could lead to the biggest upheaval since the last rounds of realignment.

From Matt Norlander.

CBSSports.com: Explaining the FBI probe and the corruption scandal rocking college basketball

clt says fakenews. There is no way that two acc schools would CHeat. They run clean programs.

Will there ever be a board of trustees and chancellor at one of these schools who seize something like this as an opportunity to just do away with athletic scholarships and go D3 or drop sports altogether? Am I kidding myself even thinking about that possibility?

U of Chicago did it a long time ago. Could it happen again?

I see two scenarios.

1. A prestigious institution that perceives sports as tainting their academic mission.

2. A lower level school that is losing money and needs a way to bow out gracefully.

The NCAA has big problems, but the happiest people to see this news is in Crapple Hill.

More from Norlander.

CBSSports.com: FBI probe will change college basketball this season and for years to come

FWIW, gotta think the upcoming season - which officially begins this week - is going to be drastically different for at least four schools and probably more. Hmm…

Eric Bossi looks at recruiting implications.

Rivals.com: How will FBI bribery scandal impact programs involved in charges?

[quote=“Dowless, post:9, topic:31097”]The NCAA has big problems, but the happiest people to see this news is in Crapple Hill.[/quote] Unless they are caught up in it. There’s been a number of questionable people and practicing surrounding the Cheats’ program. But maybe this would just be one more thing to throw on the pile.

Louisville should get absolutely hammered if the NCAA cares at all about enforcement. Two times in a row where Pitino is pulling a Sgt. Schultz defense.

Word is that Pitino and Jurich are on the chopping block.

That story is amazing. Click on it. Local paper pulling no punches on Pitino.

Just a tease, it gets better:

The other shoe has dropped, and it bears three stripes.

If you’ve wondered how Rick Pitino has recruited so well while his University of Louisville basketball program awaits NCAA sanctions, the most logical and cynical answer would appear to be correct:

Cheating.

Whack! Whack!

ESPN.com: Head coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich out at Louisville

I think if they dug deep enough this would roll into Nike and NCAA Football. Opinion only, but I doubt Adidas is the only athletics company doing this. Next thing you read or don’t read will be how Microsoft and Dell are furnishing new laptops and servers to Nike.

[font=Roboto][size=3]The complaints announced Tuesday also included tantalizing clues indicating that what was alleged is merely the tip of the iceberg. Dawkins, for example, urged that the payment to a player’s family be increased because one of Adidas’s rivals was “coming in with a higher number.”[/size][/font]

I don’t see how this is different from someone offering you $50 to refer them to their real estate agency. Or a bank that runs an ad they’ll give you $25 if you refer a friend. Finder’s fees is standard in business. I think FBI is just too lazy to go after gang bangers & terrorists.

And why did Bowen’s parents not pay taxes on the $100K? They’re the real criminals.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:19, topic:31097”]I don’t see how this is different from someone offering you $50 to refer them to their real estate agency. Or a bank that runs an ad they’ll give you $25 if you refer a friend. Finder’s fees is standard in business. I think FBI is just too lazy to go after gang bangers & terrorists.

And why did Bowen’s parents not pay taxes on the $100K? They’re the real criminals.[/quote]

They didn’t “go after” the colleges. They were investigating a financial adviser and during the investigation they discovered all this. The issue would be bribery and fraud happens under the table and away from uncle sam. Finders fees happen above board.