College Sports hastens its demise: 15 schools set to pay stipends > $4,000

From the article:

[i]The University of Tennessee and four other major-college athletics departments are set to offer players an additional $5,000 or more in scholarship assistance starting this fall, according to a Chronicle analysis of financial-aid allowances at the 65 wealthiest NCAA institutions. Ten other athletics programs have plans to distribute at least $4,000 more in aid.

The money, part of a new spending allowance approved in January by the five biggest conferences, allows Division I colleges to cover the full cost of players’ scholarships. Previously, colleges could cover only the cost of a basic scholarship — tuition, fees, room and board, and books.

The change was designed to direct more money to players as television money has expanded. But disparities in what programs can offer has put new pressure on college budgets and altered the dynamics of recruiting.

Spending power among the five biggest conferences — the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-12, and Southeastern — varies greatly[/i].

Here are the schools:

1. Tennessee: $5,666 SEC
2. Auburn: $5,586 SEC
3. Louisville: $5,202 ACC
4. Mississippi State: $5,126 SEC
5. Texas Tech: $5,100 Big XII
6. Penn State: $4,788 B1G
7. TCU: $4,700 Big XII
8. Oklahoma: $4,614 Big XII
9. Oklahoma State: $4,560 Big XII
10. Ole Miss: $4,500 SEC
11. Wisconsin: $4,316 B1G
12. Texas: $4,310 Big XII
13. South Carolina: $4,151 SEC
14. Kansas State: $4,112 Big XII
15. Arkansas: $4,002 SEC

http://chronicle.com/article/At-Least-15-Athletics-Programs/229229/

This stipend is nothing more than uncapped free agency designed to buy out/destroy competition. The rush to destroy what little is left disgusts me.

If this was really about the kids, and not just the schools trying to gain a competitive advantage over each other, then the stipend program would work very simply, like this:

Every school should pay a fixed % of gross revenues into a single fund administered by the NCAA. Every single D1 athlete in good academic standing should receive an equal share of this fund, every semester. This satisfies Title IX, and removes the competitive advantage the schools are trying to create.

Meanwhile, it also opens licensing opportunities up for the NCAA. If EA sports wants to make a college football game, fine. Include all the players’ names along with the schools logos, colors, etc. But a substantial portion of the revenues should go straight into the stipend fun. More money for the kids.

The way this is actually being handled is reprehensible, and it will destroy college sports, even while the fans stupidly cheer the hastening of its demise in greed driven lust for an advantage for their school.

I am personally just about done with college sports. This is likely the last straw. It’s not going to change though unless boosters and fans of P5 programs have an attack of conscience and common sense. In other words… not going to happen. It’s all f–ked.

[quote=“Chip Diller, post:2, topic:29551”]This stipend is nothing more than uncapped free agency designed to buy out/destroy competition. The rush to destroy what little is left disgusts me.

If this was really about the kids, and not just the schools trying to gain a competitive advantage over each other, then the stipend program would work very simply, like this:

Every school should pay a fixed % of gross revenues into a single fund administered by the NCAA. Every single D1 athlete in good academic standing should receive an equal share of this fund, every semester. This satisfies Title IX, and removes the competitive advantage the schools are trying to create.

Meanwhile, it also opens licensing opportunities up for the NCAA. If EA sports wants to make a college football game, fine. Include all the players’ names along with the schools logos, colors, etc. But a substantial portion of the revenues should go straight into the stipend fun. More money for the kids.

The way this is actually being handled is reprehensible, and it will destroy college sports, even while the fans stupidly cheer the hastening of its demise in greed driven lust for an advantage for their school.

I am personally just about done with college sports. This is likely the last straw. It’s not going to change though unless boosters and fans of P5 programs have an attack of conscience and common sense. In other words… not going to happen. It’s all f–ked.[/quote]

clt could not agree more.

I wonder if this has anything to do with any of our recent transfers.

This is what America gets for not having a developed minor league sports system. The NBA D league is where most of these people should be going. Of course, people like Mark Cuban who point this out unfortunately don’t understand or don’t open up about the fact that D league contracts are short lived, low paying, and pretty much guarantee you nothing all of which encourages pro hopefuls to go the college route.

So that’s how UT jumped up in fball recruiting this year!?!? :wink:

Any explanation for why Tennessee is allowed to pay the most? I imagine a program like Texas would pay a lot more if they were allowed to, since they are swimming in money.

UT’s AD is a rogue entity as far as the university administration is concerned. They do whatever they want and have been known to cook the books whenever necessary.

There is no doubt they manipulated whatever formula is used to their advantage. And I will tell you right now that both their AD and their fanbase think it’s both justified and necessary in order to keep up with the Bear Bryant Jr Sabans. They don’t see anything wrong with anything they do to get a leg up on SEC rivals.

And its going to work for them. Guaranty you they will close the gap in the SEC. Cheat first, half hearted apologize later.

No, because Charlotte will also have a program in place.

No, because Charlotte will also have a program in place.[/quote]

Sure about that? Why hasn’t our plan been announced then. Oh wait. Stealth AD.

That being said, I doubt we pay stipends next year. We will wait and see what the rest of CUSA does I am betting.

I would imagine when it is all said and done this transfer season there will be some horror stories about kids transferring to get their hands on that filthy lucre. Wouldn’t you?

That being said, I doubt we pay stipends next year. We will wait and see what the rest of CUSA does I am betting.

I would imagine when it is all said and done this transfer season there will be some horror stories about kids transferring to get their hands on that filthy lucre. Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

C-USA has already voted FOR stipends.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/08/20/conference-usa-supports-idea-on-stipends-for-ncaa-athletes/2678341/

I would imagine when it is all said and done this transfer season there will be some horror stories about kids transferring to get their hands on that filthy lucre. Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

C-USA has already voted FOR stipends.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/08/20/conference-usa-supports-idea-on-stipends-for-ncaa-athletes/2678341/

Does that mean we are paying stipends? I don’t think so. Wouldn’t we have announced it yet? I have a feeling the bloodhounds on this board would know about it by now.

Also isn’t this a school by school decision?

Unless I recall incorrectly I think cusa as a conference said they would pay. This was a way to tell the P5 conferences that we were sticking around I think.

Unless I recall incorrectly I think cusa as a conference said they would pay. This was a way to tell the P5 conferences that we were sticking around I think.[/quote]

I can’t find anything on the web (in an admittedly quick search) verifying that any schools or conferences in the G5 are providing the stipend. Something tells me the G5 is taking a wait and see approach. Probably due to the fact their coffers are not overflowing like the P5.

Bottom line in this. The G5 is going to lose every recruiting battle with the P5.

Unless I recall incorrectly I think cusa as a conference said they would pay. This was a way to tell the P5 conferences that we were sticking around I think.[/quote]

I can’t find anything on the web (in an admittedly quick search) verifying that any schools or conferences in the G5 are providing the stipend. Something tells me the G5 is taking a wait and see approach. Probably due to the fact their coffers are not overflowing like the P5.

Bottom line in this. The G5 is going to lose every recruiting battle with the P5.[/quote]

C-USA has decided to do the cost-of-attendance scholarships, but they are letting each school decide how they will implement it. Here is just one article. Also, the G5 already loses recruiting battles with the P5. Nothing changes here.

The G5 didn’t lose ALL recruiting battles did it?

Obviously it was a one sided fight but now those few small victories by the G5 will be fewer and fewer.

I do agree with you. It’s not going to fundamentally change the overall talent structure.

BUT I can see this having a big affect in the transfer game. If you kick ass in freshman or sophomore year in the G5 and have the opportunity to go to a P5 and put 10K in your pocket over two years, that’s tempting.

As far as the article goes that’s pretty old news. I’m looking for recent information verifying that any G5 schools (including us) are implementing the stipends.

[quote=“Gassman, post:17, topic:29551”]The G5 didn’t lose ALL recruiting battles did it?

Obviously it was a one sided fight but now those few small victories by the G5 will be fewer and fewer.

I do agree with you. It’s not going to fundamentally change the overall talent structure.

BUT I can see this having a big affect in the transfer game. If you kick ass in freshman or sophomore year in the G5 and have the opportunity to go to a P5 and put 10K in your pocket over two years, that’s tempting.

As far as the article goes that’s pretty old news. I’m looking for recent information verifying that any G5 schools (including us) are implementing the stipends.[/quote]

A solution to the transfer game would be that the player sits a year but also loses that year of eligibility. Other wise as you said players will be more apt to transfer if they are successful after their Freshman or Sophomore year. I would think most schools at that point would not want to pay a full scholarship to a player to only gain one or two years of their services. Along with that a player might not want to lose a year themselves just to gain extra money towards the scholarship.

I doubt this ever would be implemented though which could in the end leave the G5 schools working more like a farm system for the P5 schools.

[quote=“Gassman, post:17, topic:29551”]The G5 didn’t lose ALL recruiting battles did it?

As far as the article goes that’s pretty old news. I’m looking for recent information verifying that any G5 schools (including us) are implementing the stipends.[/quote]

At the end of the day, the P5 schools each have 13 scholarships to give, so it isn’t like they can hoard all of the players. If they take a transfer then that is one incoming blue-chip freshman they will have to pass on.

Football. The relevance is greater for football. So much poaching going to be done. G5 will become the P5 farm system, and then even in P5 leagues there will be farm teams.