David Scott calling out fans

David Scott really calling the fans out. We deserve it to be fair.

People have given up on lambert

2 Likes

I think the historical lack of coverage by local newspapers compared to that of teams in other areas of the state is a contributing factor.

3 Likes

Who??

He’s right about our lack of fans. He’s also a small part of the problem.

2 Likes

I just think people have totally given up on lambert. When I told people we beat southern miss yesterday, they were legit shocked. We have been so bad, and then we retained brad, that people just stopped paying attention.

Now we have a team on the cusp of bowl eligibility, and we can’t get anyone out. This goes in the laundry list of reasons I say it wasn’t fair to brad lambert for him to be kept on.

Also, these last 4 games are going to be the best teams we’ll play, but if we manage to win at Tennessee or Marshall, I hope everyone shows up for FIU.

I wholeheartedly agree with David Scott in theory. Conversely it’s understandable why people are not showing up. They have witnessed some really bad play. But hells bells, Hill said it himself…we are a very, very young FBS program. Small wonder we have been in the ditch. But mak no mistake. This program is worlds better. If we go bowling Lambert will be back. If not we get a “better” coach. Either way we are on the rise. Mark it down.

People have given up Lambert, plain and simple, and to be honest I don’t see how he wins the fanbase back (even if he goes bowling).

The reason so many of us did what we did last year is because we foresaw this when Lambert was retained. The fact he doesn’t delve into the failings of the previous AD that got us to this point is disappointing but not surprising.

That being said we deserve to be called out. The student support that has been surprisingly strong this year was non-existent Saturday (did anything happen there?) and against a name opponent like USM we should have turned out.

It was an entertaining game and it was nice to get to 2-2 all time against them. I hope we travel well to UT next week, will be nice if everyone that flips the game on sees an island of Green in Sec A amongst that sea of orange.

Aside from that, I think we need to explore changing kick-off times from 2:00 as was mentioned in another thread.

I believe our results over the last few years has much more to do with attendance than kickoff time. Winners draw crowds. And while we are 4-4, I don’t think anyone perceives this program as a winner right now.

The answers here are all highly predictable excuses.

I didn’t want Lambert retained
The start times are tough for me
The opponent isn’t a big time opponent
The Observer coverage is poor
Mike Hill’s Head Coach will be better

It is a constant tradition at Charlotte. There is always a reason, excuse, justification why students or anyone else stays away.

The facts are simple. D1 football costs money. If you want this program to grow, money is needed. If you won’t do it, why should the average Charlotte resident?

The parking lots and stadium have had some nice gameday moments. However, except for game 1, they have been nearly empty way too much over the past 6 years.

I am an FSL owner and foundation member that is close to walking away because I’m tired of all the excuses.

We have no rivalries in our conference. Beating teams we can associate
with will bring in the crowds. (app state). We can brag to those who have gone to other schools in our area about beating Southern Miss or anyone else in our conference but can they even relate? No big names in our conference so does Joe Public even care if we beat them? Until we join a name conference or join a new conference with schools that our fans can relate to Charlotte will flounder. Those of us who bleed green will always be there.

1 Like

There are countless reasons why people don’t attend the games. For me, I live 3 hours away and simply don’t want to spend the extra money to go see the game. I had season tickets 2 years ago and witnessed only 1 win and that was against Elon. That was average entertainment at best, but I also lived in Indian Trail about 35 minutes away. I moved away the next year, but had interest in attending at least 1 game. However, after watching the team play and lose the way they did, I wrote off going to a game last year. Now this year paying to go to a game is not even on the radar. I bought the ESPN+ package to watch some games and watch the ones that I can on TV. I don’t know when I will go back to a game, but I doubt it will be while Lambert is there.

I don’t really think that I am the problem though. I think the University has to figure out how to squeeze another 8,000 to 12,000 out of the local community. There are a bunch of alumni that live within 20 minutes of the stadium that aren’t going. They also need to focus on the student population. I have wondered why they can’t get the students to show up, but then I talk to my kids. They are more interested in finding a pokemon go that attending a game. Fans of college football are dwindling while the University is trying to grow it. That makes it a tough sale.

The Football program is 11-33
The Basketball program has had a toe tag on it for a couple years

People in any market, at any school, for any sport don’t spend money to go watch a bad product. Football’s 4 wins have been a pleasant surprise, but its not been a good product since day 1. winning home games is such a pleasant change from years past, which is exactly part of the problem and why attendance sucks.

Hill has his work cut out for himself in this reclamation project. Relevance in the city and on campus is going to be a marathon rather than a sprint. Wins matter, school spirit can only carry you so far.

clt says attendance is down for live sports. Even appy struggles with this

One other thing. Would David Scott go if he didn’t get paid to do so and didn’t get in free with a press badge? How many employees at the O go to games other than him? Before Hill came to Charlotte how much press did they put out on individual players versus papers like the Gaston Gazette? The local Charlotte media has been helping the school more with press this year than I have seen in 20 years. It will take more than 1 year to get people to come to a game and that is only if they win.

1 Like

It’s almost as if retaining brad lambert was such a bad idea the fans should have revolted.

1 Like

Pointless calling out the fans with no speculation on the reasons for their absence. Guess he thinks Hill will take his press pass like Judy would have if he criticized the program.

To be honest, it is the sports fans in Charlotte. The only time the fan goes to any event is when that team is winning. And even when they attend they leave early. It drives me nuts!

1 Like

Our fans walk in at the 2nd quarter and leave at the 4th, no matter the score. Why bother to come if you only watch half the game and usually the less important parts as well?

2 Likes