GPS devices for football

Apparently we have a Sports Analytics Club and they’re wanting to raise $5k to purchase GPS devices to track football players’ performance.

1 Like

That’s cool. I’ll throw them some cash in a bit.

clt says the 49er club should support this.

1 Like

Charlotte Hornets Supporting Sports Analytics

Just wanted to update everyone on the progress of the Charlotte Sports Analytics Club:

They are close to reaching their goal for the crowdfund campaign that ends on Nov 19th.

They have partnered with the Charlotte Hornets to offer proceeds of ticket sales for Saturday’s game to go towards the club ($5 for every ticket) - If 50 people take advantage, they are offering access to warm-ups prior to the game.

I know this isn’t convenient with the football game this weekend but please consider offering some support to this impressive group of young men leading this club.

Purchase tickets through the link: https://groupmatics.events/event/Unccsports

Support the Crowdfund https://crowdfund.uncc.edu/project/11846

Thanks!

1 Like

Money for the GPS devices was already approved by the Athletic Dept last year.

Athletic Department agreed to match the 5,000 when raised.

1 Like

Seems like if athletics will be using this data they could find money in the budget for this. Are other schools using this technology?

People can donate towards what they want obviously but for those that did, just curious, what makes you give towards this? Just to be generous?

Why I would: I’m into this field, so seeing us use analytics to improve our program while giving our students exposure to hands-on ways to apply analytics is something I support.

3 Likes

I’m sure Athletics could find the money, but if we have a Sports Analytics Club it doesn’t hurt for them to have a little “skin in the game” raising $5k to match.

I donated because it seemed like something that would help football and the student club was a novel angle. I never heard of a club like that, but it’s good to see any sort of student involvement in the program, I want to encourage that.

I think I’ve only seen these devices used by Man City football club, but I gotta imagine the P5s are using them at least, and we aspire to be like the big boys.

1 Like

Anyone on the board with a data science background and specific skills in regard to R/python programming language?

The Sports Analytic Club could use some of your expertise to help get setup with a long term data warehousing / visualization project plan for 3 major sports projects with Basketball, Football, and Baseball.

Currently getting prepared for the spring semester. Feel free to PM me or email
josephpcohen@gmail.com

Thanks!

@null maybe?

clt only knows DOS

Can our defensive backs use them to track the opponents receivers & hopefully improve our passing defense? If so I will pitch in some cash.

I’m a punch card expert if that helps.

Looks like they have some trial devices to test before making a purchasing decision.

Device Trials

March 27, 2019

The Sports Analytics Club has been working with the Charlotte 49ers strength and conditioning football coaches. We have begun trials of StatSports devices to see if it would be a good fit for our team.

Thus far, the device trials have gone well; the team hopes to make a purchase decision in the near future.

Thank you again for your support. We are looking forward to updating you when we have officially made a purchase and can begin collecting data on our student athletes.

Jacob Lequire

Sports Analytics Club at UNC Charlotte

Co-Founder | Vice President