Jon Davis Scores Points

I’m not going to quit watching, so here’s something to follow. JD will be top 10 if he stays but where will he finish?

1 Henry Williams 2383 27.5
2 Lew Massey 2149 21.82
3 Chad Kinch 2020 18.68
4 Demarco Johnson 2005 18.31
5 Jarvis Lang 1855 14.65
6 Cedric Maxwell 1824 13.90
7 Curtis Withers 1750 12.09
8 Jobey Thomas 1737
9 Leemire Goldwire 1677
10 Byron Dinkins 1657

Jon Davis 1254

11 Games this year plus 30 next year

Ppg needed to eclipse each on the list

[quote=“Threemire09, post:1, topic:32147”]I’m not going to quit watching, so here’s something to follow. JD will be top 10 if he stays but where will he finish?

1 Henry Williams 2383 27.5
2 Lew Massey 2149 21.82
3 Chad Kinch 2020 18.68
4 Demarco Johnson 2005 18.31
5 Jarvis Lang 1855 14.65
6 Cedric Maxwell 1824 13.90
7 Curtis Withers 1750 12.09
8 Jobey Thomas 1737
9 Leemire Goldwire 1677
10 Byron Dinkins 1657

Jon Davis 1254

11 Games this year plus 30 next year

Ppg needed to eclipse each on the list[/quote]

We were talking about this the other day.

No chance to catch Henry. If he gets out of this funk, he certainly has a chance to eclipse 2000. Realistically I see him finishing around #5.

Unfortunately for him, a lot is going to depend on who comes back next year.

Most likely all time turnover leader…also bet that his shooting percentage is much lower than all others on this list.

Love the positive attitude! Go Niners!

He could finish surrounded by guys that have their numbers hanging from the rafters, but have absolutely no chance to join them. That is unfortunate.

A lot of it becomes much more attainable if we can manage to win a few games in a conference tournament. For example, if we managed to win one game this year (if we make it) and two games next year, then passing Demarco would only require about 17.07/game instead of 18.31/game.

Amazing how a few extra games in post-season (NCAA, NIT, Conference Tourney, etc.) can matter for the record books.

Alas. Had John played here when we weren’t a laughing stock, I truly think he’d be considered one of the better players in school history. Of course, the what if game is always the same[size=1em] -[font=verdana] if we still had Dorn (State), Woods (WFU), Izundu (Miami), Thorne (Illinois), etc., to pair with Davis, then we probably would have been pretty damn good. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts…[/font][/size]

We have to qualify for the conference tournament first. That’s looking challenging at the moment.

During our downfall we have wasted some really solid talent, from Braz to Davis and a ton in between.

Pierria Henry would have been a jersey retirement candidate with even a modestly competent coach

If we had better players than his scoring would not be as high since his assists would be move than 2 per game as a pg

double edged sword. If we had better players,teams would not be able to defend him the way they do/did (early in the season)

It’s not a coincidence that Jon’s scoring streak followed Andrien’s.

Pierria Henry would have been a jersey retirement candidate with even a modestly competent coach[/quote]

Agreed. It’s sickening what we put P through. He will always be one of my all time favorite players. Program’s all time leader in steals and assists. Plus staring down the Davidson bench after ripping their hearts out. Kid was an absolute baller.

1 Like

double edged sword. If we had better players,teams would not be able to defend him the way they do/did (early in the season)

It’s not a coincidence that Jon’s scoring streak followed Andrien’s.[/quote]
Plus the fact that JD got contacts. Definitely has been on a roll since that happened!

Pierria Henry would have been a jersey retirement candidate with even a modestly competent coach[/quote]

Agreed. It’s sickening what we put P through. He will always be one of my all time favorite players. Program’s all time leader in steals and assists. Plus staring down the Davidson bench after ripping their hearts out. Kid was an absolute baller.[/quote]

What we put PH through? I don’t think he would look back in anger at all with the situation he was in. He liked playing for Major, just as all Major’s other players he brought in did.

I’ll be shocked if Davis isn’t gone after this season. He has no reason to stick around to see who the next coach will be. The best thing he could do is declare as soon as possible after our last loss of the season.

I wonder if he’ll end up the highest scoring player not to finish his career here.

This is going to sound much worse than it was meant and may not hit well with some of you. However, I struggle with some of these records getting set on bad teams against inferior competition. From my memory some of those guys on that list were buried behind better talent early in their career possibly limiting their totals. Also, the teams that we played in previous years are superior to the teams that we are playing today. Jobey as a Junior would obliterate these teams in this Conference. I felt this way when the steals record was broken by a player averaging 30 mpg his freshmen year. Pierria was a great player for us, but if Basden had played that many minutes over his career would Henry have passed him? I’m not sure that I like our records getting broken under these circumstances, but they are all really good players.

Totally agree. Pierria would not have gotten that many minutes as a freshman and sophomore on most teams. You mention steals bothering you, but him being the all time assists leader is misleading too. I’m not sure I would put him even in the top 5 Niners at distributing the ball.

Just for reference, Henry ave 3.4 and 3.7 assists per game his first 2 seasons. John Davis averaged 4.7 and 4.2.

Also, maybe more realistic than the all time scoring mark, Davis could catch Henry in assists.

clt doubts if he passes beans.

Something else to follow. Where will this team fall among the worst all-time in our history? We are currently sitting at 4 D1 wins, 5 if you count Methodist (which I don’t).

Here are our worst teams listed by fewest wins in our history:
[size=2]
1984-85 5-23 Sun Belt
1967-68 5-17 Dixie (NAIA)
1965-66 6-17 Dixie (NAIA)
1966-67 7-21 Dixie (NAIA)
1982-83 8-20 Sun Belt
1985-86 8-20 Sun Belt
1983-84 9-19 Sun Belt
[/size]
How many more wins do we see? Judy is going to retire leaving us with one of the worst teams in Charlotte 49ers history.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:18, topic:32147”]Something else to follow. Where will this team fall among the worst all-time in our history? We are currently sitting at 4 D1 wins, 5 if you count Methodist (which I don’t).

[size=1em]
1984-85 5-23 Sun Belt
1982-83 8-20 Sun Belt
1985-86 8-20 Sun Belt
1983-84 9-19 Sun Belt
[/size]
How many more wins do we see? Judy is going to retire leaving us with one of the worst teams in Charlotte 49ers history.[/quote]

“Iconic”

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:18, topic:32147”]Something else to follow. Where will this team fall among the worst all-time in our history? We are currently sitting at 4 D1 wins, 5 if you count Methodist (which I don’t).

[size=1em]
1984-85 5-23 Sun Belt
1982-83 8-20 Sun Belt
1985-86 8-20 Sun Belt
1983-84 9-19 Sun Belt
[/size]
How many more wins do we see? Judy is going to retire leaving us with one of the worst teams in Charlotte 49ers history.[/quote]

In the two sports that matter.