NCAA Transfer Rules

In a potentially paradigm-sh​ifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately​. The only potential restriction​s are that student-ath​letes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately​, and that any additional transfer would require the student-ath​letes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

This is big if it happens.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1, topic:31061”]

In a potentially paradigm-sh​ifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately​. The only potential restriction​s are that student-ath​letes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately​, and that any additional transfer would require the student-ath​letes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

This is big if it happens.[/quote]

Completely designed to provide immediate help to P5 schools.

Fuck the NCAA.

Exactly. If a G5 school kept a kid thru his sophomore year and did not lose him that summer they were usually in the clear because no one wanted to sit out a year for one year of eligibility. If this passes G5 schools are just a recruiting system/ grounds for the big boys. Older I get the more I am starting to actually hope for a P5 breakaway or closer and closer to just being done with " college " athletics.

clt says goodbye Davis.

This would be mass chaos.

Agreed, but it’s all to appease the power 5 schools.

Agreed, but it’s all to appease the power 5 schools.[/quote]It’ll help both ways, however the top non-P5 young guys will be plucked away.

This would hurt P5 schools too. If you had a “stand out” season at Vanderbilt why wouldn’t you switch the next season to Kentucky?

Good change imo! Theres no reason these kids shouldn’t be able to move and play where ever they want to without arbitrary restrictions being placed on them.

This really cuts at the core of the student athlete classification. While I understand the sentiment of not saddling these kids with arbitrary rules about where they attend school and play, this would undermine the education mission even more. Even regular students have issues with transferring. Can you imagine attending four different schools in four years during your undergrad? What are the chances you would actually have met graduation requirements? I submit that it’d be close to NONE. Which is why this is a sham.

It’s also a sham because it’s just another back door mechanic to effectuate a P5 breakaway without actually doing it. If they are going to make their own rules, then GTFO. Stop trying to rig the game more in your favor - all the benefits with none of the downside of actually going it alone. Life on the P5 side wouldn’t be rosy for all of those schools - I suspect half of them would grow to resent it, as their fanbases got tired of being punching bags, and the coach/admin churn became exhausting because the fans and boosters are all accustomed to being winners.

This crap needs to stop now. As I understand it, this is a D1 wide change, so all 300+ schools would have to vote for it. Any school not in the power football leagues that votes for this is stupid. On that basis, this should not have the votes to pass. Though Im sure there is some BS afoot to sidestep the vote.

If this happens I’m done with college sports.

Would ruin the game for everyone that isn’t an immediate contender (UCLA, Cheat, Duke, IU, UK, Bama, Texas, etc).

I could see perhaps 1 transfer w/o penalty of sitting for 1 year. If another one occurs, I think you should have to sit then.

1 Like

can someone explain to me the reasons why students should have to sit a year if they transfer? What is the operating reason for having them hang around school even longer?

If you do not have the players sit out a year, then you are going to be rebuilding your team literally every year with all the transfers. I would bet if this rule was in effect now that White, Davis, Garvin, and Ajukwa would be playing at another school this year. It would cause mass transfers with kids wanting to change every year and coaching getting out of the business having to have a new team all the time.

We have at least 2 transfers every year, how would you like to have 5-6 every year. If player has a bad year, he goes somewhere, great year goes P5 school.

If something like this happens not sure I can emotionally invest in college athletics. Look through our great players, Eddie, Demarco, Henry, Jarvis, Dink and further back Cornbread - none of them would have graduated here. Each of them would have gotten a bigger offer and left.

Rule changes like this will be exactly what pushes me out of caring at all about college sports.

Yes all G5 players would go P5 every single year. P5 has unlimited roster spots and unlimited scholarships. I forgot about that rule. Just because you are good in CUSA doesn’t mean you will be good/play at P5 (See Dorn).

I

[quote=“chidave, post:17, topic:31061”]https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/905520137146703872

I[/quote]

2020 or 2021? That will give the P5 schools time to have their “media allies” convince the public that this is a great change.

[quote=“49r9r, post:18, topic:31061”][quote=“chidave, post:17, topic:31061”]https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/905520137146703872

I[/quote]

2020 or 2021? That will give the P5 schools time to have their “media allies” convince the public that this is a great change.[/quote]Jeff Goodman and quite a few recruiting analysts have all came out against the proposed change on Twitter.

[quote=“moss2k, post:19, topic:31061”][quote=“49r9r, post:18, topic:31061”][quote=“chidave, post:17, topic:31061”]https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/905520137146703872

I[/quote]

2020 or 2021? That will give the P5 schools time to have their “media allies” convince the public that this is a great change.[/quote]Jeff Goodman and quite a few recruiting analysts have all came out against the proposed change on Twitter.[/quote]
That’s because they will have to work harder tracking more transfers. Snowflakes.