11/23 SCOREBOARD

than yesterday. ECU gets bombed at Gardner Webb, C-USA and A-10 teams either losing or eeking by inferior teams (eh hem, Memphis), and our Non-Conference opponets are 0-4. Props to TCU for beating The General

CONFERENCE:

ECU 60
Gardner Webb 90

LOUSIVILLE 93
Chaminade 63

HOUSTON 61
Ohio State 78

Prarie View A&M 47
SOUTH FLORIDA 63

Arkansas State 75
MEMPHIS 79

Texas Tech 68
TCU 83

Eastern Illinois 51
DEPAUL 53

NON-CONFERENCE:

UNC-ASHEVILLE 59
Clemson 78

VALPARAISO 55
Central Michigan 68

SANTA CLARA 65
Pacific 71

Pepperdine 82
LONG BEACH STATE 78

A-10:

RHODE ISLAND 58
Manhattan 67

Birmingham Southern 60
MASSACHUSETTS 64

Marist 74
ST. BONAVENTURE 58

ST. JOSEPH’S 51
Kansas 91

Gardner Webb Coach has lots of respect for CUSA, maybe to much. ‘Made history’ with victory over ECU. Now dreaming of dancing to a ring. Someone should tell him ECU sucks.

“There are three types of people: There are people that read about history, people that try to make history, but aren’t good enough, and there are the kind that make history. I thought our guys were good enough to be the kind that made history, and I think they did that tonight.” GWU Coach Scruggs.
“I was just so proud to be coaching a team that was taking down a Conference USA team. If there’s a bigger win here than this one, I don’t know about it.”

Shelby Star

Ouch… St. Joe’s got lit up by the Jayhawks.

While I’m not surprised that Saint Joseph’s lost to Kansas, the score is more than I would have expected. Still, losing three starters – 2 of which were NBA first round picks – plus not having your top returnee out due to injury seems to have really taken a toll on SJU here in the early season.

The Rhode Island score is what I would have expected. The Rams are playing without two of their top players due to injuries – leading returing scorer, Dawan Robinson, who was tabbed preseason All-Atlantic 10, and Jamaal Wise. Manhattan has a good team – good enough that I wish the A-10 would drop Fordham (as well as LaSalle and Duquesne) and add the Jaspars as their NYC presence.

I see that Louisville is now 2-0 versus Division II. Pitino and Co. should be proud of themselves! In all seriousness, though, looks like Iowa might be a surprise team now that they have beaten UofL and Texas to get to the championship game of the Maui tourney. Go Hawkeyes! Beat the Heels!

Now, that ECU-GWU score is a surprise, especially after the Pirates had played well in wins over Pepperdine and Oregon State.

The Memphis score is sort of what I would expect after the letdown the Tigers had in losing to Syracuse after playing an even game versus the Orange until the last 8 minutes of that game. That Arkansas State score looks like UofM sleepwalked through that one.

Anyway, the season is certainly off to a wild and wacky start… :wacko:

One more OOC score of interest:

Indiana 56
Indiana State 52

Looks like the quite a few of the top hoops conferences took it on the chin last night…

Creighton 78
Missouri (Big XII) 54

SC State 60
Miami-FL (ACC) 50

St. Francis-NY 53
St. John’s (BE) 52

Saint Mary’s 64
UNLV (WAC) 54

Western Kentucky 71
Georgia (SEC) 61

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 11:24 AM [b] One more OOC score of interest:

Indiana 56
Indiana State 52

[/b]

The ESPN score ticker told me that this was a come from behind job by IU.

Is it just me or is nearly everyone struggling this season? Parity, thy name is NCAA Hoops.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 10:41 AM [b] Parity, thy name is NCAA Hoops. [/b]
Thanks to the NBA. The age of the dynasties of UCLA, Duke and multiple championships in very short periods of time are indeed over.