2 Players we should recruit

I attended the GlaxoSmithKline Holiday invitational this weekend and there were 2 players that I saw play twice that we should go after. There were obvious high major players like Larry Drew and Jon Wall, but I’m referring to two highly attainable players.

Justin Watts at C.E. Jordan high. He scored 25 against Taft Thursday and is an athletic freak. He’s a 6’5’’ wing that could really help us. He’s a quality player that is getting mostly Mid-Major attention, Temple being one of them. We should not let a player like this get out of state.

Ryan Kelly at Ravenscroft in Raleigh- Kelly was one of the most impressive players there. He’s a 6’9’’ 1/2 inch PF. Has excellent skill around the basket and soft touch. He’s getting some look from high majors but will most likely be a mid major kid. This is another one that we shouldn’t pass up. He scored 30 on Knightdale and 28 on Kinston.

These are two guys that we should be recruiting. I saw every school you could imagine at this tournament. UNC, NCSU, DUKE, Vandy, ECU, Gardner Webb, Charleston Southern, Wake Forest, Virginia, UNCW, Oklahoma State just to name a few. I looked around and never saw a single Charlotte coach. I hope I just missed them. I realize that the Dell Curry was going on also, but thats why we have more than one assistant.

We have offered Ryan Kelly according to this thread [URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17609[/URL]

survivor also started a thread about Watts but apparently we haven’t offered [URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16395&highlight=watts[/URL]

Still it’s good to have someone from the board who knows his hoops (which I think you do) get out and see them in action.
Oh, and run is going to rag you for not posting this in the Recruiting thread.

sounds like we should get on it but i dont think anyone has any intreset

I am sure a player that is on the radar now is Shane Williams. He plays for our JV team Victory Christian and is a new player this year from Jamaica. Apparently he is a beast at 6’5". He plays extremely hard and had a few monster dunks that rattled the backboard.
Bobby and Kummer were in attendance.

It will be interesting to see what we do with the scholarships this year. Do we only use two and keep the third one for next year. Or do we take Bowden, Powell(I think Powell will have two years of eligibility with this year being a redshirt year) and a guy like Shane Williams.
Or do we save it for next year in hopes of guys like Karron Johnson(AnJuan’s friend) and David Chadwick and take a point guard with the last scholarship.
I still think if you can get a player that plays as hard and is an athlete like Shane Williams you take him and possibly redshirt him next year.
But, we will need a point guard for the 09 class to learn under Gerrity and Harris so we won’t have to start a freshman.
This is a big year to help things out for next year even though we will be deep in every position.

Kelly or Watts either one would be excellent additions. Kelly has a ton of skill, isn’t super athletic but is athletic enough. He has great touch around the basket. Doesn’t miss inside 15 feet. I would absolutely hate to see us ignore a kid that becomes a stud. We need to push hard for Kelly.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;279639]Kelly or Watts either one would be excellent additions. Kelly has a ton of skill, isn’t super athletic but is athletic enough. He has great touch around the basket. Doesn’t miss inside 15 feet. I would absolutely hate to see us ignore a kid that becomes a stud. We need to push hard for Kelly.[/QUOTE]

I think it might be tough with these two especially Watts since it says he is being recruited by UNC.
I think Kelly sounds interesting, but it sounds like he is exploring other options.

edit: nevermind.

I would be shocked to see Watts at UNC. Roy Williams was at the Taft game last night, but did not show up early enough to see Watts play the game before.

Someone should look at cj harris from mount tabor great 09 gaurd…reminds me alot of chris paul when chris was a west forsyth

i was also at the GSK Invitational and i did see a Charlotte coach there. Dawkins was talking to him before the Taft-Word of God game. so we are out and looking at these guys.

Guys on the radar now are Carson Sullivan(Charlotte Christian 2009) and Shane Williams(Victory Christian 2008).
Apparently Carson can shoot lights out and is a crafty point guard.
Shane is suppose to be a monster on the boards and is just a fierce competitor.
Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

[QUOTE=Charball35;279659]i was also at the GSK Invitational and i did see a Charlotte coach there. Dawkins was talking to him before the Taft-Word of God game. so we are out and looking at these guys.[/QUOTE]

That’s great, I must have missed him. It was a packed house

I was up in Raleigh but didn’t see the games, just read about them. I went to school with the Word of God coach, Levi Beckwith, at Garner. Haven’t talked to him since high school. I was surprised to hear about Wall and the other top prospects he has at Word of God. I was talking to a friend who’s a State fan and apparently Sendek refused to recruit players from Word of God, while Lowe has a strong connection. Shows the difference in recruiting among coaches. The 6’8" Leslie has committed to State, while Wall is the top rated Jr PG in the nation and has offers from everyone except UNC and Duke.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;279707] I was talking to a friend who’s a State fan and apparently Sendek refused to recruit players from Word of God,[/QUOTE]

Why? I’m guessing from the name its a private Christian school?

[QUOTE=EE9er;279715]Why? I’m guessing from the name its a private Christian school?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about the school. I assume it’s a small charter school affiliated to the Word of God church there in Raleigh, similar to Mt Zion in Durham.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;279707]I was up in Raleigh but didn’t see the games, just read about them. I went to school with the Word of God coach, Levi Beckwith, at Garner. Haven’t talked to him since high school. I was surprised to hear about Wall and the other top prospects he has at Word of God. I was talking to a friend who’s a State fan and apparently Sendek refused to recruit players from Word of God, while Lowe has a strong connection. Shows the difference in recruiting among coaches. The 6’8" Leslie has committed to State, while Wall is the top rated Jr PG in the nation and has offers from everyone except UNC and Duke.[/QUOTE]

CJ Leslie has tons of talent. He is super athletic. There was one point where he grabbed the rebound and dribbled it coast to coast, when someone stepped in his way in front of the basket, he stepped through and dunked it with 2 hands. He was listed at 6’9’’ in the program and only being a sophomore, could easily grow another inch or two.

Jon Wall is the real deal in my opinion. He is a jet with the basketball and can make the open jumper. Shoots the ball right handed, but you would think he was a lefty, since that’s how he pushes the ball up the floor. As fast as Lawson and Rose with the ball in his hand. Johnny Dawkins was in attendence to watch him Friday night. I spoke with the Oklahoma assistant about Wall and he said that he was the best Jr point guard in the nation according to him. Said they were pushing hard for him.

Corchiani came to watch Wall on Thursday and Sidney Lowe and Corchiani were there to watch him Friday night against Taft. Lowe was at one end of the gym sitting with Corchiani and Dawkins along with Gavin Grant and Tracy Smith. Roy Williams was on the other side with Marcus Ginyard and Danny Green. I never saw Lowe or Dawkins speak to Roy Williams.

It was a special night of high school hoops. Standing room only with at least 30 scouts

There’s a kid by the name of Matt Wilson who is a teammate of Ryan Kelly’s and played on Javarris Barnett’s AAU team. Like Barnett, Wilson was known for his shooting (although he was a bench player) and, like Barnett, he had a bit of a growth spurt. He is now 7 feet tall!

He has recruiting interest from Davidson, NC State, and Clemson (as a 2 star). He was pretty thin and his physique scared some schools away. But here’s the kicker: his father is a former NFL football player that spent time bulking up his son. Matt Wilson is now generating some serious buzz (still no rivals profile).

Wondering if the coaching staff was keeping an eye on him while recruiting Kelly. He’d make a great Preston Project.