2007-2008 Opponent News

Are you guys talking about the guy with the megaphone?

Are you guys talking about the guy with the megaphone?

yes. i wouldnt disclose his name. we know who he is, we’re just not saying his name.

yes. i wouldnt disclose his name. we know who he is, we're just not saying his name.
He doesn't seem that bad at the games. Whether or not he's a nice guy outside of there, I have no idea. He just seems to yell and try to get in the other team's head.
He doesn't seem that bad at the games. Whether or not he's a nice guy outside of there, I have no idea. He just seems to yell and try to get in the other team's head.

He doesnt seem that bad!? You dont yell “you ****ing dykes!” at the top of your lungs. And thats one of the more tame examples of some of the classless crap Ive heard that douschebag yell.

And apparently he stalks peoples girlfriends too. What a loser.

I’ll be there if you guys play High Point. Bart Lundy is a good man. Thanks for the interesting articles HP.

You’ll love today’s article squid!

[B]Lundy, HPU gain stature in Big South
[I]By Tom Berry, Enterprise Staff Writer[/I][/B]

A few weeks ago, Bart Lundy ranked fifth among Big South Conference men’s basketball coaches in longevity.

Now he’s second with a bullet. An elder statesman, in fact.

“I’m the grandfather now,” said the High Point boss, still several years shy of his 40th birthday.

Lundy, who has completed four years at HPU with a 70-52 overall record, watched Radford’s Byron Samuels, Liberty’s Randy Dunton and Winthrop’s Gregg Marshall depart since the end of the season in early March.

Samuels and Dunton basically were forced out, replaced by Brad Greenberg and Ritchie Mc Kay, respectively.

Marshall took his 194-82 record and seven NCAA Tournament berths in nine seasons at Winthrop and left for a salary approaching $1 million per year at Wichita State. His top aide, Randy Peele, takes over in Rock Hill.

“Gregg makes more than I do,” Lundy said.

The HPU coach suddenly stands behind only UNC Asheville’s Eddie Biedenbach, who has completed 11 years at the school, in the Big South pecking order.

There’s something to be said about stability and consistency within a program, though Biedenbach hasn’t had a winning season since 2001.

“Being around one program a while has some advantages,” said Lundy, with three winning records in his four seasons. “(Marshall) had built such a great program at Winthrop that he even turned down a Big East school (South Florida) to stay in the Big South. But the Wichita State job was just too good to pass up.”

Marshall coached the Eagles to plenty of firsts last season, including a national ranking and the first Big South team to reach the second round of the NCAA Tournament. But Winthrop’s 29-5 record and NCAA win over sixth-seeded Notre Dame are just memories now, as the coach and three senior starters (Craig Bradshaw, Torrell Martin, Phillip Williams) are gone.

What does this mean for High Point?

Plenty. The Panthers enter 2007-08 as the easy choice to win the Big South and earn that elusive and much anticipated NCAA berth.

High Point returns every significant player except Landon Quick from a team that finished 22-10 overall and 11-3 in the conference. Only Winthrop had a better record and no other league opponent finished within four games of the Panthers.

Finally, after joining the Big South in 1999, High Point is the conference favorite. Lundy doesn’t mind.

“We want to be the favorite,” he said.

“We want to have high expectations.

We want our players to feel like they’re the best team in the conference and they have something to live up to.

“I don’t feel any pressure at all. This is where we want to be.”

The Panthers should be plenty motivated to keep the favorite’s role.

After winning so many close games last season, High Point knows it must get better to replace Winthrop at the top of the Big South.

VMI, which shocked HPU 91-81 in the Big South Tournament semifinals, returns its best three players, including the nation’s leading scorer in forward Reggie Williams. Coastal Carolina should remain strong under coach Buzz Peterson and former Big South player of the year Jack Leasure. UNCA returns 7-foot-6 Kenny George, a matchup problem for any opponent, and loses just one senior.

The three new coaches have experienced plenty of success in basketball.

Liberty’s Mc Kay coached New Mexico to a 26-7 record two years ago. Radford’s Greenberg helped his brother, Seth, direct Virginia Tech into the NCAA Tournament last season and he also drafted Allen Iverson as the 76ers’ general manager a decade ago. Peele has been head coach at UNC Greensboro.

Lundy, just back from a week of running basketball clinics in France, already has started preparing for the 2007-08 season.

More and more attention should filter the Panthers’ way as November approaches.

In its mid-major part of the college basketball world, High Point looks like a powerhouse. And Lundy looks like one of the most settled, and successful, coaches in that world.

Of course, it’s way early, but Katz has both Southern Illinois (#23) and Davidson (#25) in this preseason top 25 list:

ESPN.com: After losing no one, Memphis takes top spot

I can’t wait… Definitely going to be a challenging year, but it should at least be very exciting with many games to “get up” for.

Of course, it's way early, but Katz has both Southern Illinois (#23) and Davidson (#25) in this preseason top 25 list:

ESPN.com: After losing no one, Memphis takes top spot

Sorry, but anyone that puts Memphis as #1 loses ALL credibility. Good? Yes. #1 material? No way. The dude puts Georgetown at #5, under the assumption both Green and Hibbert stay. His logic for Davidson being #25 is that they gave a middle of the road ACC team a hard time when they lost to them last year. His logic is nonsensical.
:hammer:

[QUOTE=eason49;236335]His logic for Davidson being #25 is that they gave a middle of the road ACC team a hard time when they lost to them last year.[/QUOTE]
A team that didn’t even make it in his own top 25 at that…

it should at least be very exciting with many games to "get up" for.

first semester at least.

first semester at least.

Yeah, well, hopefully the new RPI strategy the league is implementing will help all the teams w/rankings and create some exciting conference games as well. We can hope at least.

Did Davidson loose anyone from last years team?

[QUOTE=Hawthorne_49er;236414]Did Davidson loose anyone from last years team?[/QUOTE]
No.

[QUOTE=eason49;236335]Sorry, but anyone that puts Memphis as #1 loses ALL credibility. Good? Yes. #1 material? No way. The dude puts Georgetown at #5, under the assumption both Green and Hibbert stay. His logic for Davidson being #25 is that they gave a middle of the road ACC team a hard time when they lost to them last year. His logic is nonsensical.
:hammer:[/QUOTE]

Why can’t they be #1. Brining in Derrick Rose and other top recruits, why is it nonsensical to put them at #1?

Why can't they be #1. Brining in Derrick Rose and other top recruits, why is it nonsensical to put them at #1?

Yeah, Derrick Rose will be awesome in College. I saw some clips of that guy, and I am more impressed with him than any of the incoming 2007 class. Too bad he went to Mempiss. I don’t mind them being a number 1 preseason, that’s always a curse.

Why can't they be #1. Brining in Derrick Rose and other top recruits, why is it nonsensical to put them at #1?
How can they be better than Georgetown with Hibbert and Green staying? That doesn't make any sense, unless he wants to pick a team that is guaranteed to have a pretty good record because they're in an easy conference.
How can they be better than Georgetown with Hibbert and Green staying? That doesn't make any sense, unless he wants to pick a team that is guaranteed to have a pretty good record because they're in an easy conference.
I totally think Memphis deserves #1. I was highly impressed with them last year. I had them in the championship losing to Florida and I was almost right. If they hadn't gotten in foul trouble they would have beaten OSU and I think they would have taken out GU too.

Joey Dorsey is amazing and now he will be returning, older and wiser. Plus they still have their core guys. Even in a weak conference, they are an amazing team and I think they will at least be in the elite 8 again, barring any unforseen problems.

I don’t have any problem with Memphis being #1 either. Afterall, it’s just a preseason top 25. Katz isn’t predicting that the Tigers will win the NC, though I wouldn’t be surprised if Calipari & Co. make the Final Four in 2008. (FWIW, SI.com’s Luke Winn has UofM #3 in his preseason Power 16.)

BTW, it will be interesting to see if UAB can be competitive again in C-USA with the transfers from Georgia, Indiana, and Mississippi State who will be eligible in 07-08