2008 Olmpics Thread

womens basketball is destroying everyone…they wiped china off the floor, as did the men’s team. men’s bball team plays greece tomorrow…gonna be a tough one, but they’ve looked good so far too. phelps is amazing…that relay that we won against the french after all that trashtalk was one of the best sporting moments i’ve witnessed in a while. our men’s soccer sucks…as if anyone needed to be reminded…they’re already out…

[QUOTE=NLP;333296]I think they’re way under 16 but at the same time I think it’s a dumb rule. If you’re the best, you’re the best at any age. Still it’s creepy.[/QUOTE]
It’s for their own safety. Gymnastics is hard on the body as it is… But doing some of those things before your bones are done growing is ridculous. Same reason they won’t let kids in little league throw curve balls.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;333309]It’s been exciting to see Phelps out there complete PULVERIZING the competition. Awesome. He grew up in the same area I did, and we’ve been hearing about him for years and years. The guy is sensational.[/QUOTE]
He is absolutely phenomenal!

[QUOTE=gotLutz;333309]We’re in the lead with 26 medals, but China leads the gold medal tally with 14 gold versus 9 gold for us…and almost half of those are from Phelps!! I’ve never followed the Olympics as closely as I have this year so I wouldn’t know…but generally, which country comes out on top? The one with the most medals, or gold medals?[/QUOTE]
We are in the top 2-3 usually. I think China took most in Athens.

It's for their own safety. Gymnastics is hard on the body as it is... But doing some of those things before your bones are done growing is ridculous. Same reason they won't let kids in little league throw curve balls.

He is absolutely phenomenal!

We are in the top 2-3 usually. I think China took most in Athens.

We have won the most Golds every games since the USSR broke up. People have said this is the year our streak will be broken by China.

Anyone know if the mens soccer team was our US National team? I know guys like Donovan are in league play right now?

If this isn’t the national team that plays in the world cup, then I’m not surprised we’re getting waxed - if it is, I’d like to know who’s missing, because typically we hold our own until we hit a Brazil, and even then its not total domination.

Anyone know if the mens soccer team was our US National team? I know guys like Donovan are in league play right now?

If this isn’t the national team that plays in the world cup, then I’m not surprised we’re getting waxed - if it is, I’d like to know who’s missing, because typically we hold our own until we hit a Brazil, and even then its not total domination.

Each country is only allowed 3 players over the age of 23. Its not the National Team. I think Adu, Edu, and Bradley are all members of the National Team that were doing double duty, but I’m not an expert or anything. World Cup Qualifying is going on as well during this time. Brazil sent Ronaldhino as one of their 23+ because they want to win the gold so badly.

And the US is out, but they didn’t get waxed. They beat Japan, tied Holland (was winning until a penalty in extra time), and played a man down against Nigeria for the whole game.

They were basically 2 minutes away from a gauranteed spot in the quarterfinals.

[QUOTE=J Felt;333446]Each country is only allowed 3 players over the age of 23. Its not the National Team. I think Adu, Edu, and Bradley are all members of the National Team that were doing double duty, but I’m not an expert or anything. World Cup Qualifying is going on as well during this time. Brazil sent Ronaldhino as one of their 23+ because they want to win the gold so badly.

And the US is out, but they didn’t get waxed. They beat Japan, tied Holland (was winning until a penalty in extra time), and played a man down against Nigeria for the whole game.

They were basically 2 minutes away from a gauranteed spot in the quarterfinals.[/QUOTE]

that is the exact summary I needed. Thanks a ton man.

Olympics related only because of who it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tft9SfWbU

US & China now tied with 31 medals a piece. China with 19 gold, US with 10.

China takes the lead in overall medals on Thursday… :hammer:

[URL=http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/index.html][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]Link[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[B][COLOR=DarkRed]China:[/COLOR][/B] [B]22/B [B]7/B [B]5/B [B]34/B
[B][COLOR=Blue]United States:[/COLOR][/B] [B]10/B [B]9/B [B]14/B [B]33/B

China is not expected to win many medals next week whereas we usually get a lot from Track & Field.

Maybe I missed something, but what are the “Olmpics” ?

:lol::tongue:

Maybe I missed something, but what are the "Olmpics" ?
Shut up. I'm not know for my amazing spelling ability. Especially when using a computer.

So, Anyone else feel that the judges were horrible in last nights Women’s All-Around gymnastics final? Phelps just got his 7th, and I’m pretty sure he’ll get his 8th too.

Shut up. I'm not know for my amazing spelling ability. Especially when using a computer.

So, Anyone else feel that the judges were horrible in last nights Women’s All-Around gymnastics final? Phelps just got his 7th, and I’m pretty sure he’ll get his 8th too.

Yeah man, maybe I shouldn’t post that I was watching womens gymnastics but I was getting pissed about the Chinese 8 year old. Every time she did something she would slip and get unbalanced and she still got high scores. The American girls kicked butt and had to do their stuff perfect just to beat the 8 year old.

A guy I work with was joking today saying the sports with judges are already predetermined and it was looking that way for a little while with the Chinese last night.

Regardless I still think it’s amazing what those gymnasts can do in the air, I have trouble with a somersault and they twist 10 times in the air and don’t miss a beat.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.phelps.sequence/content.1.html

Good frame-by-frame of Phelps and Cavic at the finish. For all the people crying foul (there’s not a lot, even the Serbians withdrew their protest after seeing the visual evidence) there is no way you can tell me looking at the photos that Cavic beat Phelps. At the same time the photos don’t prove Phelps won either, but hey, that’s why they have the touch pad.

Since the last post:
Shawn Johnson won gold(Finally)
Usain Bolt is really friggin fast
Mike Phelps won 8
Women’s Soccer won the gold
and the biggest shocker of the games…US Softball lost for the first time since 2000, getting the silver.

womens bball moves on to gold medal game with a win against Russia, game is saturday i believe.

men play tomorrow against Argentina to go to the gold medal game (10:15 am, nbc/usa)

Cant believe no one has mentioned the two baddest chicks in the olympics. Misty May and Kerri Walsh. Completely domniated and are pretty hot to boot!

Also need to mention LaShawn Merritt

Won the gold this morning in the 400m.

Went to ECU.

Cant believe no one has mentioned the two baddest chicks in the olympics. Misty May and Kerri Walsh. Completely domniated and are pretty hot to boot!
NBC's constant coverage of volleyball has pissed me off. F Olympic VB.
Since the last post: Shawn Johnson won gold(Finally)

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving person