2011 Early Season Tournaments

Fields for 2011 Early Season Tournaments, especially those ran by ESPN have come out, featuring Atlantic 10 Teams. Each conference can only have 1 representative in each event, and 1 team can’t compete in the same event more than once ever 4 or 5 years. So here are what events A10 teams(and not the Niners) will be playing in next year:

Diamond Head Classic(Honolulu): Xavier (Hawai’i, Clemson, Long Beach State, Texas A&M, UTEP)
Cancun Cup: NO A10 TEAM(College of Charleston, Kansas State, Rice, Southern Illinois and Utah)
Old Spice Classic(Orlando): Dayton (Arizona State, DePaul, Fairfield, Minnesota, Texas Tech and Wake Forest)
Charleston Classic: Saint Joe’s (Georgia Tech, LSU, Seton Hall, Tulsa, Virginia Commonwealth, Western Kentucky and Baylor)
76 Classic(Anaheim): Saint Louis (Boston College, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Santa Clara, Washington State and Villanova)
Puerto Tip-off: Temple (Alabama, Colorado, Iona, Maryland, Wichita State, Purdue)
Battle 4 Atlantis: UMass(Connecticut)

Niners are also inelegible to compete in Preseason NIT, we may be eligible to go back to the Paradise Jam if the waiting period is 4 years instead of 5.

Some tournaments I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Niners sign up for(I have not heard ANYTHING suggesting where we go):

Whatever Ohio State does: While Major and Matta are on good terms, I don’t expect us to have a home and home with them just yet, nor play a 1-game series in Columbus, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see both schools in the same field for a 2011 event, as long as it is not at Ohio State in a situation where we can’t advance.

Chicago Invitational Challenge: 8 team event, 2 games at each of 4 hosts, 2 rounds in Chicago split into 2 brackets. Richmond is a host in this event this year as a team guaranteed to move on.

South Padre Invitational: Same format as Chicago, Richmond won the event last year as a host.

Legends Classic: Gazelle Group event(Like Coaches vs. Cancer and CBE Classics) Hosts get 2 games at home before 4 team bracket in Newark, vistors get 1 game at a host, then play 3 at predesignated secondary host, UMass hosted last year, UTEP this year so it is non-BCS friendly

Las Vegas Classic: Same format as Chicago and South Padre, Northern Iowa and New Mexico are non-BCS hosts this year.

Las Vegas Invitational: Similar format as LV Classic, but the games in Vegas are predetermined, no bracket

Great Alaska Shootout: 8-team, 3 round tournament, D-2 Alaska-Anchorage hosts, fields have been lacking in recent years

There are multiple other events all over the country, but these are the most prominant in which the Niners could advance to a Championship round.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:2, topic:24286”]Las Vegas Classic: Same format as Chicago and South Padre, Northern Iowa and New Mexico are non-BCS hosts this year.

Las Vegas Invitational: Similar format as LV Classic, but the games in Vegas are predetermined, no bracket[/quote]

I say either one of these.

Some facts I’ve about next years early season tournaments:

Ohio State and Florida are in a 2 year event deal, if we signed up for this event we would get away games at Ohio State and Florida, then 1 road game and 1 home game against 2 other schools.

Iowa State will be a host school in the 2011 South Padre Invitational(An event that has had non-BCS hosts of late)

Arizona, Michigan State and Saint John’s are 3 of the 4 hosts for the 2011 Coaches vs. Cancer 2K Sports Classic

Update from one of the tournamants I am keeping an eye on for us, the South Padre Invitational:

They have 5 teams signed up right now, with 3 teams to go. The list I got was in this order:

1. Providence
  2. Iowa State
  3. Northern Iowa
  4. Southern
  5. Western Carolina

In 2009 Richmond and Old Dominion were hosts schools, and BYU and Saint Mary’s in 2010, very non-BCS friendly. It’s hard to say if they are looking for 1 or 2 other host schools, because after beating Kansas, Northern Iowa could be a big enough name to host, but the proximity to Iowa State may indicate they will travel. With our proximity to WCU, I think that helps our chances to be a host.

A tournament in the Nassau, Bahamas has just recently received exempt status, it will be an 3-round, 8 team tournament like Charleston and Anaheim. 5 unknown teams had verbally committed to it. Would be a good destination for the diehard Niners.

Early Season Tourney Watch: CBE Classic

The hosts are out, and will be Cal, Georgia, Missouri and Notre Dame.

This is a 12-team, automatic advancement tournament for the hosts, each team plays 4 games.

At this point, I don’t think any event is below us.

The Ohio State/Florida event is in need of one team, that team would play in 4 games as part of the event:

at Florida
at North Florida
at Ohio State
JACKSON STATE

Just throwing it out there, if we’re any good next season we’ll beat North Florida and Jackson State while getting the RPI boost of playing at two national contenders.

The hosts/finalists for the 2011 Coaches vs. Cancer 2k Sports Classic are out, they are:
Arizona
Saint John’s
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

One of Gazelle Group’s 12 team tournaments, if we chose this we would play a road game at a finalist(Likely Saint John’s or Miss State) before 3 games at a secondary host.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:8, topic:24286”]At this point, I don’t think any event is below us.

The Ohio State/Florida event is in need of one team, that team would play in 4 games as part of the event:

at Florida
at North Florida
at Ohio State
JACKSON STATE

Just throwing it out there, if we’re any good next season we’ll beat North Florida and Jackson State while getting the RPI boost of playing at two national contenders.[/quote]
This sounds good to me. This plays into more of a BCS style schedule like we had in 2009-10 and I feel that’s the best kind you can have.

Bad news to you Bahamas hopefuls. Somehow this fell through the cracks of my google news searched until now:

According to this story, UMass will be representing the A10 in Nassau, along with UConn(if that matters to you)

But, this does open a slot for an A10 team in the event in which UMass was previously scheduled to take part in…

an event in the small town…
(This is not an April Fools joke)
of Cancun, Mexico.

Well sucks because it would have been fun, but Cancun could be fun too!

NWA you can’t go to Cancun unless you want to get shot by Mexican drug lords. I went to Mexico before the drug war, but I wouldn’t go back until the Mexican gov’t breaks out the hammer on the little sh*ts.

& CPip, this better be April Fool’s!