2011 Freshman

Good article in the Charlotte Observer today about the freshman we have for next year along with a few names that we already know about for next year. It will be interesting how they play as it does not seem like the expectations is real high. Looks like we are going after higher rated players next year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/15/2455296/majors-own-team-of-recruits-4.html

i like the pub but not exactly a complimentary article about our freshmen. i dont like that quote by telep that these are mid level guys. nickerson was offerred by many big time bcs schools and would have been offered by more had he not set his final five. henry was a four star until he committed to vcu. i havent heard anything about that kid out of philly that they say we are recruiting. 2k, can you fill us in on that one?

“mid level” guys isn’t a knock. Outside of A few guys (White, Iti, maybe withers) most of our best players were mid level guys without a ton of BCS interest. VCU, Butler, Geo Mason have made Final 4 runs with “mid level” guys. Nobody outside of Skeen had BCS offers at VCU last year. Goldwire, Thomas, Guevara, Gardiner, etc were all mid level guys.

i disagree. most of the players we recruit hold bcs offers, often times several. withers, iti, basden, all of our new guys except for ilija. even guys like lee had bcs offers(georgia) im not saying we recruit against the duke’s, unc’s and kansas’s of the world but we often recruit against the va. tech’s, clemson’s, georgia’s. nothing i have read about nickerson or henry makes me say they are mid level guys.

in addition, as opposed to years past, we did not appear to recruit any tweeners in this class. guys with high major/nba size for their position. no, dont take that as me saying they are all going to the league but if they live up to expectation and are properly coached, they wont get the basden/withers treatement, meaning they are tweeners for the league. no 5’11" shooting guard, no 5’9" point guard or 6’5" small forward without offensive ability.

i disagree. most of the players we recruit hold bcs offers, often times several. withers, iti, basden, all of our new guys except for ilija. even guys like lee had bcs offers(georgia) im not saying we recruit against the duke’s, unc’s and kansas’s of the world but we often recruit against the va. tech’s, clemson’s, georgia’s. nothing i have read about nickerson or henry makes me say they are mid level guys.[/quote] I think it depends on what he means by the “mid-level” guys. He may mean exactly what you said, guys that could also go to VT, Clemson, etc. but not to the elite programs.

Basketball recruits are on a 5 star scale typically. We usually get 3* recruits. I would say our average recruit is around a 3*. So, if 5 is the best and 1 is the worst, we’re somewhere right in the middle. Mid-level guys.

Logic, on NN.N? I doubt it catches on.

This board gets offended way too easily. Mid-level guys are exactly what we get on a regular basis. Each year we land a bunch of three star and below guys, and once every other year or every three years so we land a four star.

This.

we get offended because of backhanded compliments that dont seem to do our team, or in this case, recruits justice. saying mid level recruits denotes certain connotations, none of them positive. mid level could probably be said about the recruits that uncw or ecu or programs bring in. we know that nickerson was offered by a host of big time programs and that number would have been higher had he not cut his list down to a final five so early. williams had offers from virginia tech and clemson. thorne had marquette and maryland offers(maryland wanted him to redshirt), henry had xavier, wvu, va. tech offers. i dont like our team or players getting lumped in with lesser program or players.

Not really, since those schools are bringing in zero, one, and two star guys. I do get your point, I just don’t think what Telep said was inaccurate.

we get offended because of backhanded compliments that dont seem to do our team, or in this case, recruits justice. saying mid level recruits denotes certain connotations, none of them positive. mid level could probably be said about the recruits that uncw or ecu or programs bring in. we know that nickerson was offered by a host of big time programs and that number would have been higher had he not cut his list down to a final five so early. williams had offers from virginia tech and clemson. thorne had marquette and maryland offers(maryland wanted him to redshirt), henry had xavier, wvu, va. tech offers. i dont like our team or players getting lumped in with lesser program or players.[/quote]

I’m sure players are EZU wouldn’t like being called mid-level either. So what? I’m not the one ranking them 3*. But if that is where they are falling across the board and that is middle of the pack for basketball players, then I think mid-level is an accurate description of the caliber of player we’re bringing in.

After the last five years mid level guys may be a step up. Only guys we had that were mid-level or a little above were probably Braswell and Headcase Spears. Our backcourt has basically has been manned by 0 star guys.

Ha! Dang Hootie. I think it’s unfair to pin everything from the past few years on the backcourt. I wish Deuce and Derrio the best of luck. And Goldwire was not a 0 star. Ha!

we get offended because of backhanded compliments that dont seem to do our team, or in this case, recruits justice. saying mid level recruits denotes certain connotations, none of them positive. mid level could probably be said about the recruits that uncw or ecu or programs bring in. we know that nickerson was offered by a host of big time programs and that number would have been higher had he not cut his list down to a final five so early. williams had offers from virginia tech and clemson. thorne had marquette and maryland offers(maryland wanted him to redshirt), henry had xavier, wvu, va. tech offers. i dont like our team or players getting lumped in with lesser program or players.[/quote]

I’m sure players are EZU wouldn’t like being called mid-level either. So what? I’m not the one ranking them 3*. But if that is where they are falling across the board and that is middle of the pack for basketball players, then I think mid-level is an accurate description of the caliber of player we’re bringing in.[/quote]

Some of you guys are confusing “mid-level” with “3-stars” on a so-called “5-star” scale. At first glance that sounds reasonable until you remember that a large % of players are actually unrated (ie; 0 stars). This means a 3-star player is actually well above “average/mid-level”.

I’m sure players are EZU wouldn’t like being called mid-level either. So what? I’m not the one ranking them 3*. But if that is where they are falling across the board and that is middle of the pack for basketball players, then I think mid-level is an accurate description of the caliber of player we’re bringing in.[/quote]

Some of you guys are confusing “mid-level” with “3-stars” on a so-called “5-star” scale. At first glance that sounds reasonable until you remember that a large % of players are actually unrated (ie; 0 stars). This means a 3-star player is actually well above “average/mid-level”.[/quote]

919r nailed it. A good coach can take a team full of 3-star players and lead them straight to the NCAA on a regular basis.

Don’t tell me I get offended easily. Don’t tell me what I do. YOU get offended easily. Asshole.

EZU would be thrilled to be called mid-level. They vacuum.