2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

He’s similar with “baggage”, but I still think Herb was doing better. I don’t see a lot of difference between a sweet 16 and Elite 8, plus it was a bit of a fluke. Alabama was an 8 seed that season. Also look at Herb’s last 4 years at NC State and Gottfrieds. Herb was getting to the NCAA’s and winning a game where as Gottfried was in full decline. I still think they ran off a better coach.

Anyone know if Gotfried had strong recruiting ties in NC? I’m hoping with Wake so down and NC State in transition we can get a really good class next year.

We already have a really good class coming in…

He’s similar with “baggage”, but I still think Herb was doing better. I don’t see a lot of difference between a sweet 16 and Elite 8, plus it was a bit of a fluke. Alabama was an 8 seed that season. Also look at Herb’s last 4 years at NC State and Gottfrieds. Herb was getting to the NCAA’s and winning a game where as Gottfried was in full decline. I still think they ran off a better coach.[/quote]

Except one glaring difference is that Herb was 8-39 against both UNC-CH and Dook, 72-88 in the ACC and 0-20 in ACC titles. Where as Gottfried is 0-0, 0-0 and 0-0. Actually Gottfried may have played UNC-CH and Dook at some point, but the idea is the same.

We already have a really good class coming in…[/quote]

I was refering to next years class. We’ve got 6 newcomers commited or signed with one scholorship to give so this class is all but done for us. Gottfried has been off the road for a couple years, I expect it will take him a little time to form some current relationships.

He’s similar with “baggage”, but I still think Herb was doing better. I don’t see a lot of difference between a sweet 16 and Elite 8, plus it was a bit of a fluke. Alabama was an 8 seed that season. Also look at Herb’s last 4 years at NC State and Gottfrieds. Herb was getting to the NCAA’s and winning a game where as Gottfried was in full decline. I still think they ran off a better coach.[/quote]

Except one glaring difference is that Herb was 8-39 against both UNC-CH and Dook, 72-88 in the ACC and 0-20 in ACC titles. Where as Gottfried is 0-0, 0-0 and 0-0. Actually Gottfried may have played UNC-CH and Dook at some point, but the idea is the same.[/quote]

The same thing was said about Lowe when they brought him in. He promptly went 2-17 against UNC-CH and Duke. As long as State fans have the unrealistic expectation of beating UNC-CH and Duke on a regular basis while Roy and Kry are in position, then they are never going to be happy despite what they win outside of those games. Valvano, who is looked at like a Saint in Raleigh, went 21-27 combined against Duke and Carolina. 8 of those wins came against Duke prior to 1986, when Kry began his reign. Since 1980, State is 40-99 combined against UNC-CH and Duke. That’s just slightly winning over 25% of the time. If they measure Gottfried’s success by how he does against those two teams they might as well buy him out now and begin another search.

We already have a really good class coming in…[/quote]

I was refering to next years class. We’ve got 6 newcomers commited or signed with one scholorship to give so this class is all but done for us. Gottfried has been off the road for a couple years, I expect it will take him a little time to form some current relationships.[/quote]

Be prepared to lose an assistant to Gottfried if he’s any good.

Maybe there were reasons other than money for the move?

I understand

Word is he might pull Gaudio to come work with him… but that’s pure speculation by crazy state fans so take it for what it is worth.

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/debbie_yow_some_nc_state_fans_made_their_own_bed/4511886

Word is he might pull Gaudio to come work with him… but that’s pure speculation by crazy state fans so take it for what it is worth.[/quote]

Gudio is another guy out of the loop for a year, that’s all the better IMO. If you don’t do anything for a year or two it takes sometime to get your skills back and build those relationships.

As far as our assistants, one was held over from our last staff, the other two were brought from Auburn with Lebo. I don’t see any connections, not really worried about them leaving.

You’re naive. It’s okay.

The same thing was said about Lowe when they brought him in. He promptly went 2-17 against UNC-CH and Duke. As long as State fans have the unrealistic expectation of beating UNC-CH and Duke on a regular basis while Roy and Kry are in position, then they are never going to be happy despite what they win outside of those games. Valvano, who is looked at like a Saint in Raleigh, went 21-27 combined against Duke and Carolina. 8 of those wins came against Duke prior to 1986, when Kry began his reign. Since 1980, State is 40-99 combined against UNC-CH and Duke. That’s just slightly winning over 25% of the time. If they measure Gottfried’s success by how he does against those two teams they might as well buy him out now and begin another search.[/quote]

Lowe didn’t work out. So you just give up?

21-27 is much better than 8-39, is it not? What’s missing from that is that you mention how much they win outside of Duke and UNC-CH. Sendek was below .500 in the ACC over 10 seasons and 0-20 in ACC titles. I can’t think of any program that would be acceptive of that.

In regards to Valvano, it seems that people forget that NCSU was the better program in regards to Duke. And pretty damn close to being in line with UNC-CH.

Prior to 1990, Valvano resigning:
NCSU: 2 National titles, 16 conference titles, 370-225 in conf, 890-376 over all
UNC-CH: 2 National titles, 11 conference titles, 450-110 in conf, 952-316 over all
Duke: 0 National titles, 8 conf titles, 368-235 in conf, 859-414 over all

Luckily for Duke they didn’t take the same stance when hiring Coach K as some think NCSU should now take in regards to their coach/program.

They are all quality assistants, one is a former head coach at Georgia State, the other 2 have coached at a couple places in the SEC but if either leaves to go to NC State I’ll eat crow. Either way I don’t however see Lebo leaving unless he takes us to a final four or something. He makes 600k a year here, and his parents moved to Gville and his wifes and her parents are from here. Most good BCS schools outside of NC State aren’t looking for a retread, so either way so we got our coach or a long time likely and assistants can come and go either way if we are successful. Not a big deal.

They are all quality assistants, one is a former head coach at Georgia State, the other 2 have coached at a couple places in the SEC but if either leaves to go to NC State I’ll eat crow. Either way I don’t however see Lebo leaving unless he takes EZU to a final four or something. He makes 600k a year AT EZU, and his parents moved to Gville and his wifes and her parents are from here. Most good BCS schools outside of NC State aren’t looking for a retread, so either way so EZU got A coach for a long time likely and assistants can come and go either way if EZU IS successful. Not a big deal.[/quote]

FTFY.

BTW, Lebo will leave EZU first chance he gets at a BCS gig. ECU is where basketball goes to die.

The same thing was said about Lowe when they brought him in. He promptly went 2-17 against UNC-CH and Duke. As long as State fans have the unrealistic expectation of beating UNC-CH and Duke on a regular basis while Roy and Kry are in position, then they are never going to be happy despite what they win outside of those games. Valvano, who is looked at like a Saint in Raleigh, went 21-27 combined against Duke and Carolina. 8 of those wins came against Duke prior to 1986, when Kry began his reign. Since 1980, State is 40-99 combined against UNC-CH and Duke. That’s just slightly winning over 25% of the time. If they measure Gottfried’s success by how he does against those two teams they might as well buy him out now and begin another search.[/quote]

Lowe didn’t work out. So you just give up?

21-27 is much better than 8-39, is it not? What’s missing from that is that you mention how much they win outside of Duke and UNC-CH. Sendek was below .500 in the ACC over 10 seasons and 0-20 in ACC titles. I can’t think of any program that would be acceptive of that.

In regards to Valvano, it seems that people forget that NCSU was the better program in regards to Duke. And pretty damn close to being in line with UNC-CH.

Prior to 1990, Valvano resigning:
NCSU: 2 National titles, 16 conference titles, 370-225 in conf, 890-376 over all
UNC-CH: 2 National titles, 11 conference titles, 450-110 in conf, 952-316 over all

Luckily for Duke they didn’t take the same stance when hiring Coach K as some think NCSU should now take in regards to their coach/program.[/quote]

Exactly. Excellent post, I wouldn’t be accepting of that here, I don’t see why they should be.

Names I’ve seen floated on their boards for assistants are:
Franschilla
Lutz
Gaudio
Pearson (from UGa)

Any of those would contribute to a hell of a lineup, but who knows how many are realistic.

Lowe didn’t work out. So you just give up?[/quote]

That’s not what I’m saying. State fans said the same thing about Lowe that they are saying about Gottfried. They think whoever is next is going to be the savior, regardless of who it is. And if Gottfried struggles initially, they are not going to give him any time right the ship.

That was also my point: that State fans don’t care how much they win outside of Duke and UNC-CH if they aren’t beating those two schools on a regular basis. Just look how they treated Herb despite his 5 straight NCAA trips. And beating those two school regularly goes hand in hand with winning conference titles. Who else has won a regular season and tournament title regularly in the last 15 years besides UNC-CH and Duke? Nobody. Maryland is the only other team to have won a tournament title since Wake’s back-to-back titles in 95-96, and Maryland and Wake are the only two other schools that have won the regular season outright other than Duke and UNC-CH during that same timeframe. Yet State fans think thwy are going to be much better than that for some reason. Let’s remember that Maryland had a National Title thorwn in there and GTech went to the finals during that timeframe, but they were still trailing UNC-CH and/or Duke most years. Everyone else is competing for third and that’s the reality, but State fans seem to think that they can live in fantasyland and escape that reality by hiring that certain coach. Jeff Goodman even said on The Dan Patrick Show yesterday that State’s fanbase is “insane”, and that it was well known within the college basketball industry. That’s why they can’t get a “name” coach to come there.

All of State’s prominance prior to Valvano hinges on David Thompson, and State and Duke both got put on probation for recruiting violations after their recruitment of Thompson. That was the only period where State was really “above” UNC-CH. State was definitely above Duke until 1978 and briefly in the ealry 80’s, but since then it’s been no contest.

[quote=“Normmm, post:216, topic:25118”]Prior to 1990, Valvano resigning:

Luckily for Duke they didn’t take the same stance when hiring Coach K as some think NCSU should now take in regards to their coach/program.[/quote]

Duke actually stuck with Kry after he got off to a bad start, and it paid off. He’s even said himself that after his 3rd season at Duke that he wasn’t sure if they were going to keep him. They did, and look where they are now. Where do you think State would be now had they kept Herb? Herb had 5 straight NCAA appearances, and had James Harden on the way to Raleigh.

[quote=“J Felt, post:218, topic:25118”]FTFY.

BTW, Lebo will leave EZU first chance he gets at a BCS gig.[/quote]

It’s highly unlikely. We pay like a low tier BCS school and with both sides of his family here and being a retread I don’t see it. What good BCS jobs are going to ever want a retread? Very few and probably none that would be good enough to make him leave a good situation here. Baring a couple of very deep NCAA runs I don’t think we have anything to worry about. Probably wouldn’t even if he made them.

With everyone else in the state so down and state in transiton and getting guys with no ties, not working, this is good timing to try to sign a big class next year.