9. Xavier
  10. Richmond
  11. St. Bona
    12. CHARLOTTE
    13. GW
  12. URI
  13. Fordham
  14. Duquesne

This year will suck if so. For majors and all the fans sake, I hope not.

12 would be a massive dissapointment… It would also mean a new coach.

If Xavier gets 8th place with what’s happened to their roster, Mack deserves coach of the year.

12th isn’t surprising for the Niners though after the last few seasons. But I think they’ll be a few spots higher, around middle of the road, above Richmond, Bonnies, and Xavier. We’ll see. Not sure that’s enough to make fans happy even if it happens.

Also think VCU and Butler get a rude introduction to the league, with plenty of unexpected road losses.

If we are the amongst the LAST teams IN our own tourney again this year. Major/Oliver should be the FIRST coaches OUT of the 49er staff directory next year.

Don’t know that I buy the Bonnies as an NIT team after losing Nicholson. Tough to replace a guy like that.

Agreed… I just don’t see it.

Not saying Athlon is wrong, but it’s a pretty shitty read from my past experiences.

Here’s the prediction from Lindy’s:

1. Saint Louis - NCAA
  2. Butler - NCAA
  3. Temple - NCAA
  4. VCU - NCAA
  5. St. Joe’s
  6. Xavier
  7. UMass
  8. Richmond
  9. Dayton
  10. La Salle
  11. GW
  12. St. Bona
    13. CHARLOTTE
    14. URI
  13. Fordham
  14. Duquesne

Lindy’s also pick Braswell as 2nd team A-10.

BTW, went back to Athlon’s and they also have Braz as All A-10. Even have a picture of him that is actually as photo of Javarris Barnett upon closer inspection! ::slight_smile:

Here’s how WH sees the league:

1. Saint Louis
  2. St. Joe’s
  3. Temple
  4. UMass
  5. VCU
  6. La Salle
  7. St. Bona
  8. Richmond
  9. Dayton
  10. Butler
  11. Fordham
    12. CHARLOTTE
    13. GW
  12. Xavier
  13. URI
  14. Duquesne
*Charlotte is a lower middle-of-the-pack team, it looks like. Some good building blocks in senior Braswell and sophs Henry, Williams and Nickerson. Good coaches tend to show their mettle by the second or third year. If the Niners are getting better, this is the year Major has to prove it. The roster is mostly his now. A rising team should pull some upsets at home and start stealing a few games on the road.

Link to entire piece/thread on A-10 Board: Thoughts on new season

[quote=“Run49er, post:10, topic:26957”]Here’s how WH sees the league…

…Link to entire piece/thread on A-10 Board: Thoughts on new season[/quote]

FWIW, here’s a snippet from DistrictBaller’s comments per that thread:

I don't see us losing to Duquesne or Charlotte on the road. Our program has some bad blood with Charlotte dating back to our exit from the Metro Conference and a lot of our fans will be juiced to send them off to C-USA with a loss. There's also the fact that Pierria' Henry was a VCU verbal who didn't sign on fall signing day because his mom wouldn't give consent to sign the LOI where he was under 18 and couldn't do anything about it. The kid's grandfather loved VCU and pushed for it all through his recruitment. He passed away before his commitment to VCU and Pierria' left a note in his grandpa's casket to let him know he was coming. Henry interviewed with our fansite after his commitment and he was more juiced to be a Ram than a lot of kids that ended up actually coming here. Our coaches cut ties after mom's stunt and having to watch him reschedule his signing party multiple times. We ended up doing just fine with who we got, but our coaches will be motivated in that one.
Hmmm...

I deleted that part of my post after thinking better of having posted it, but on checking here, I see someone already saw it. I want to clarify his recruitment a bit as I was very privy to the details and even interviewed him for our fan site.

I’m not taking anything away from Pierria’, he’s a great kid and he’ll have a nice career at Charlotte. You have a great kid on your hands

Pierria’ was never a top 100 kid contrary to what some here inferred from my write-up when he committed. He was a 92 grade on ESPN, but only 3 stars and the #35 point guard in the class of 2011, never ranked in the top 100 or a 4 star recruit. ESPN had inflated their grades then much more than they do now, which has changed largely in part to Dave Telep’s move from ESPN. At the time there were a number of 92 grades that were 3-stars. I take screen shots of our recruit’s profiles for posterity since I know ultimately many recruits are down-graded once they commit to mid-majors. My cynicism is usually rewarded and was with Henry. This was Pierria’s:

He was recruited and offered by several schools including Charlotte, but a lot of them backed off once Pierria’ had successive thigh injuries and had to have emergency surgery for a blood clot in his leg in April, 2010. VCU was the only school that really stuck with him through it and that impacted his commitment to the school.

Another aspect of Perry’s recruitment was having to endure a very unusual home situation with his mom having some issues as a single-parent having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. His father left Perry and his 4 siblings when he was just a child. His older brother was in jail for shooting a man and Pierria’ was effectively the man of the house as a teenager. He eventually went to live with his girlfriend’s family because of how unstable his home situation was.

His grandfather was the main role-model and father figure in his life who encouraged him to pick VCU over a number of high major schools that were recruiting him because he thought Shaka would be a great role model and positive male influence for him. Jerry Stephens died about a week before he committed to VCU in May 2010. Shaka wrote Jerry a note in the hospital, which Pierria put in Jerry’s casket to let him know that he was following his advice.

He was as loyal and passionate about becoming a Ram as any recruit we’ve ever had at VCU with his connection to our staff. Enough so that he had these things to say several months after committing in October, 2010 just a couple of weeks before signing day: http://www.vcuramnation.com/2010/10/qa-with-2011-vcu-commit-pierria-henry/

Unfortunately, Pierria wasn’t old enough on signing day to submit a LOI on his own and needed mom’s signature. Mom decided she did not want him leaving Charleston because of how unstable the family environment was and wanted him to play either football or basketball at Marshall at the time. Pierria’ scheduled several signing parties but mom prevented him from being able to submit a valid LOI. At that point our staff would not allow the uncertainty of the situation with mom to jeopardize our recruiting so we cut ties with them. No kid will admit what happened in that scenario obviously so he said something else about an emotional decision or something like that despite having several months to think it over and saying the things he said just a few weeks before signing period. Bottom-line Pierria’ is a great kid who was caught up in a tough situation. No one faults him for what happened and he’s still in touch with our staff.

He didn’t have the same level of interest he had before his commitment to us afterwards, largely due to having to recover from surgery for several months and uncertainty whether he’d get back to the level he was at before it. I believe Cleveland St. and Charlotte offered for basketball and Clemson and Virginia sniffed around but didn’t offer. Mom tried to get him to go to Marshall on a football scholarship which is ultimately what he chose Charlotte over in February, 2011. Some media outlets just copied his offer list from before he verballed to VCU when he committed to Charlotte, but that was several months before and completely inaccurate. He chose Charlotte over Marshall football. Most schools backed off after his surgery.

Alan Major actually called up our staff ( Alan Major was a part of VCU’s Villa 7 program and a friend of Shaka’s) to ask about about the circumstances around why he didn’t sign his LOI at VCU to make sure nothing was wrong with Pierria’. You also had Odom on staff who was recruiting Henry at VT and had a prior relationship which helped with the trust level between Charlotte and him. It was a decent landing spot for Pierria’ all things considered. He really did need to get away from home so I’m glad he ended up at Charlotte instead of Marshall.

He would have been nice to have at VCU since we led the nation in steals (381), steals per game (10.6), turnovers per game (17.9), and turnover margin (+6.6) last year. He and Briante Weber (led the country in steal percentage (7.01) and steals per 40 minutes (4.6) last year as a freshman off the bench) would have been poised to be defensive terrors in the back court which was what our staff envisioned when we got them both. Now they’ll get to match up against each other for one year. It should be fun to watch and our guys will be highly motivated to go up against him as he was committed to us for several months.

Should be a fun game.

Interesting posts District. Thanks for the insights. I was completely unaware of the situation with Henry.

If his mother wanted him to go to Marshall, how did he manage to come to Charlotte?

I can’t see why VCU would be highly motivated to go against him, unless you just mean as in friendly competition. Seems like the kid got screwed by his home situation and it had nothing to do with VCU. The Rams were an innocent bystander.

If anything, its PH that has an issue with VCU and not the other way around. You made it sound like they gave up on him, VCU could have fought harder to win his mother over. Evidently it could be done.

Sometimes fans (and fans pretending to be journalists) blow things out of proportion due to butthurtia.

He turned 18 and could do what he wanted?

I’m no journalist. I just write on recruiting for our fan site. No butt hurt here, I wish the kid more success than he’s been having so far. He’s a really good kid.

We did more than fine, I’m sure if we ended up sucking and Pierria’ was leading Charlotte to the NCAA’s I’d probably feel a little differently though.

2k, VCU fought harder than everybody including Charlotte in getting his initial commitment, his late grandfather has a note from Shaka Smart in his casket and we were the only school to keep up with him when his life was threatened and ability to even play again was in doubt. We moved in another direction after several months of the most uncertain and trying time of his career, we did more than any other program that was recruiting him and went above and beyond.

I didn’t elaborate on mom out of respect to Perry, but the way she treated our staff was directly involved in why we backed off. After what we did for them, that was unacceptable and not an influence we wanted in our program. Again, not Pierria’s fault, but our coaches will be motivated in that one though just because of the relationship that was built and the resources, emotions time, and effort put into his recruitment. Our coaches are as competitive and driven as any staff in the country and our players take their cues from them.

I’m sure Pierria’ will be motivated to prove a point that he can play at our level as well, especially given how being at Charlotte has ended up so far and how VCU fared after the whole ordeal. I’m glad he has been successful individually and hope you guys have more team success with him as an upperclassmen in C-USA. He’s gone through a lot and his overall story is inspiring in several ways.

He was able to sign in the Spring because he was of age and it didn’t matter what mom said, and with less options than before, getting a scholarship took precedence. Charlotte was the best program with the best staff for him of the options he had when he made his decision.

On top of that there is the whole Metro debacle in 1995 that has a lot of our older fans not all that warm and fuzzy about Charlotte. I think it’s safe to say there probably is some butt-hurt there as far as how that went down. Bottom-line everyone acts in self-preservation in those scenarios, so I don’t have hard feelings, but I know a lot of others who don’t share my feelings there. I don’t think anyone cares for a history lesson, but that won’t just be another road game for a segment of our fan base who know the 49’ers from the Sun Belt and Metro Conferences. I don’t think that aspect of it will matter to the coaches or players, but it’s an interesting subplot for what the game means for our fans.

OK you will be motivated to Win the one time we play? great. should be like that for every game right?