2013 Soccer Schedule

This is a very, very tough schedule. The real test will be league play, and as I have mentioned before, C-USA is easily a top four men’s soccer conference (and I’d put them against B1G as well in terms of top-to-bottom talent)–and that was without New Mexico.
BTW, here’s an early non-conference preview:
http://pickaxedigest.com/2013/06/13/the-breakdown-charlotte-49ers-2013-mens-soccer-non-con-schedule/

And here’s C-USA breakdown:
http://pickaxedigest.com/2013/06/14/the-breakdown-charlotte-49ers-2013-mens-soccer-conference-usa-schedule/

CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

I did not notice a Saturday night home soccer game following a home football game. I think that would have had some appeal. Tailgate before the football game and then hang around and tailgate between the football and soccer games. Then drink lots of water and make sure you have some aspirin ready for the next morning.

[quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

I did not notice a Saturday night home soccer game following a home football game. I think that would have had some appeal. Tailgate before the football game and then hang around and tailgate between the football and soccer games. Then drink lots of water and make sure you have some aspirin ready for the next morning.[/quote]
You’re forgetting that everything about football must be controlled. You’re required to vacate the tailgating parking lot two hours after the game has concluded, so about 5:30 PM.

[quote=“emf, post:24, topic:27871”][quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

I did not notice a Saturday night home soccer game following a home football game. I think that would have had some appeal. Tailgate before the football game and then hang around and tailgate between the football and soccer games. Then drink lots of water and make sure you have some aspirin ready for the next morning.[/quote]
You’re forgetting that everything about football must be controlled. You’re required to vacate the tailgating parking lot two hours after the game has concluded, so about 5:30 PM.[/quote]

If the fall football games are anything like the ones in the spring, I’m gonna get home as soon as I can and take a well earned nap.

[quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

Which Saturday?

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:25, topic:27871”][quote=“emf, post:24, topic:27871”][quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

You’re forgetting that everything about football must be controlled. You’re required to vacate the tailgating parking lot two hours after the game has concluded, so about 5:30 PM.[/quote]

If the fall football games are anything like the ones in the spring, I’m gonna get home as soon as I can and take a well earned nap.[/quote]

Wuss. What kind of attitude is that?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“49r9r, post:27, topic:27871”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:25, topic:27871”][quote=“emf, post:24, topic:27871”][quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

If the fall football games are anything like the ones in the spring, I’m gonna get home as soon as I can and take a well earned nap.[/quote]

:)[/quote]

It’s not an attitude, just a physical reaction to alcohol and sunlight.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:28, topic:27871”][quote=“49r9r, post:27, topic:27871”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:25, topic:27871”][quote=“emf, post:24, topic:27871”][quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27871”]CUSA Soccer is probably going to be the highest ranked sport of any league we have ever been in. That fact alone should bring in more fans, as long as they are aware of the high rating of CUSA Soccer.

:)[/quote]

It’s not an attitude, just a physical reaction to alcohol and sunlight.[/quote]

Indeed. 9r, we mustn’t forget that his kind is simply not meant to withstand the sun’s rays. Every game he attends, he does so at great risk to his own health. This is a credit to his character.

That is a really difficult schedule. Have we ever played a more difficult schedule ?
All the Florida schools are always good.
Is Kentucky/NM good ?
If so, that schedule is toughest ever !
spoken from a true u-50, whom faces Winthrop alums quite often.

[quote=“amnesiac, post:30, topic:27871”]That is a really difficult schedule. Have we ever played a more difficult schedule ?
Is Kentucky/NM good ?
spoken from a true u-50, whom faces Winthrop alums quite often.[/quote]

Kentucky is very good. New Mexico is a NCAA tournament staple. This is probably the best schedule from top to bottom we’ve ever had in any sport. I guess that’s not really an apples to apples comparison, but this is quite a schedule.

FAU went 2-13-1 in the not-so-good MAC as an associate member. Everyone else seems to be solid.

Besides football, I think I’m most excited for the fútbol season than any other sport. I really don’t know what to expect from basketball or baseball.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:31, topic:27871”][quote=“amnesiac, post:30, topic:27871”]That is a really difficult schedule. Have we ever played a more difficult schedule ?
Is Kentucky/NM good ?
spoken from a true u-50, whom faces Winthrop alums quite often.[/quote]

Kentucky is very good. New Mexico is a NCAA tournament staple. This is probably the best schedule from top to bottom we’ve ever had in any sport. I guess that’s not really an apples to apples comparison, but this is quite a schedule.[/quote]

FAU scored eight goals as a team in 2012. Outside of that there are no freebies.

It’s official! :)) http://gmine.blogspot.com/2013/06/49ers-mens-soccer-faces-difficult.html

You were right, Mr. B., between my son at Coach Hibbs’ camp and my over 30 soccer tournament, I was busy the past week.
Now that everything is temporary over. I have a little time to get back to a better topic. After all, besides “Fishing” we are a “Soccer School". 8)
This year we have a very stout offensive line from a strong recruiting class:

• Junior Forward Monbo Bokar and Sophomore Midfielder Conor Agnew (NC State transfers).
  • Forward Hans Honers (TDS Top 150 Recruits).
  • Midfielder " Eddie" Iturbide (CSA, TDS 4 Stars).
  • Midfielder Brandt Bronico (HS All-American).
    And, all of the returning from last year:
  • Junior Forward “Giussi” Gentile (9 Goals, 7 Assists). 2012 NSCAA All-Mid-Atlantic Region First Team.
  • Senior Center Mid Tyler Gibson (3 Goals, 6 Assists). 2012 All-Atlantic 10 First Team
  • Sophomore Forward Kyle Parker (2 Goals, 2 Assists).
  • Senior Midfielder Will Mayhew (1 Goal, 3 Assists).
  • Senior Midfielder Aidan Kirkbride (2 Goals, 3 Assists).
  • Junior Midfielders Dominic Bonila, Robby Thomas and Jeremy Dennis are going to be big contributors this season.
    As for the defense, we did hold our opponents to 19 goals last season. Thanks to our fine defensive line:
  • Senior Defender Thomas Allen (2 Goals, 1 Assist) 2012 All-Atlantic 10 First Team.
  • Sophomore Defender Anthony Perez (2 Goals, 1 Assist)
  • Sophomore Defender Biko Bradnock-Brennan
  • Sophomore Defender Nick Barnhorst (0 Goal, 2 Assists)
  • Junior Defender David Mayer
  • Senior Goalkeeper Klay Davis, a 2012 All-Atlantic 10 First Team (0.79 goals against average and 8.5 shutouts)
  • Sophomore Goalkeeper Austin Pack.
    This Spring we have outscored our opponents 14-1 (6-0-1). That means we could put the nick name “Cardiac Kids” from last year to bed.
    There are three teams we need to beat (there’s a good chance they will be at the “dance”) to show the rest of the college soccer world that we are the “big dogs”.
  • Kentucky
    The team was young (4 freshmen in the starting lineup) last year. And, it showed when they faced Xavier in the tournament L(0-1). This year they are back with the 4 experienced sophomores and much more to contribute from their 4 talented seniors.
    The second year head coach Johan Cedergren with much work to do with new coaching staff and the lost of senior forward Matt Lodge. Kentucky is still set with the returning of their strong defensive line.
  • New Mexico
    They lost six seniors to graduation. They will miss (17 goals, 7 assists) from Forward Devon Sandoval (I do not doubt that he will make a lot of noise for Real Salt Lake). Midfielder Blake Smith (3 goals, 13 assists) (2[sup]nd[/sup] highest in Lobos history) . Three year starter, Defender Travis Campbell, Midfielders Levi Rossi and Nik Robson. MPSF first team Goalkeeper Victor Rodriguez.
    With a strong recruiting class (Wake Forest Senior Goalkeeper transfer), the returnees are 2012 All-MPSF Second Team Forward James Rogers, Midfielders Michael Kafari and Michael Calderon. Senior All-American Defender Kyle Venter, Junior Defender Matthew Gibbons. The Lobos will be tough as always.
  • Clemson
    Their record from last season does not reflect how good they can be this year. (6-9-5 overall with a 3-2-4 conference).
    They have 9 starters back and two good transfers from Brown (Tommy McNamara and Bobby Belair). Their defense led by Juniors Amodou Dia, Phanuel Kavita and Sophomore Kyle Fisher.
    If everything clicks, the tigresas are capable of returning to the “big dance” for the first time since 2006.

With the lineup this year we can seriously “run” with the “herd” any night . . . We do have the “horses”.
[font=comic sans ms][size=2em]GOOOOOOal Niners![/size][/font]