2014 Charlotte Football Practice

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:20, topic:28917"]Devon Johnson looks a little hindered by his Achilles today. Lambert said he hopes he can recover to 100% but Achilles is a tricky injury…

Kalif and Ogunjobi participated with no restrictions and don’t have any plans of restrictions when the pads come on.

Offense:

Pretty standard practice today, helmets only but tempo was fast as always. Veterans lead all the drills and are really helping young guys understand drills and helping teach the schemes. Charlotte added more motion in backfield for RB’s and Kalif really helped teach Joc (Moving from H-Back) and Maetron Thomas with positioning.

LG is biggest competition on O-Line. Casey Perry will get fist opportunity to win spot. He won the job in spring but will have to hold off Mason Sledge.Jamal Covington stood out as really helping Freshman with questions and giving technique advice on pass set to FR OT Chris Brown. Most freshmen lineman come in needing to add size. FR Nate Davis has very good bulk on already, still needs more but looks very promising. (Charlotte thought very highly on him as a recruit) Note: R-SO Kyle Hoffman ran 2nd team LT not Wolfgang. (If Hoffman can provide depth I’d think they look to red-shirt Wolfgang.)

Duke and Bostick stand out, after that it will be open competition for 3rd spot. Early leaders are Nesmith, Devine and Thomas. (I lean thinking Devine holds key since he can line up outside and keep Duke in the slot.)

Not much action for H-backs today, a lot of 4-5 wr sets. Bolus should be starter. They worked on blocking most of the day.

Johnson looked good, McNeill played well and led the young guys and really made sure everyone is in position. (He drew praise from Lambert specifically during and after practice.) Barden looked good in drills but struggled in live 7-7’s. He forced the ball too much down field and was late on reads. Left his passes high and if in pads would have had receivers vulnerable.

Defense:

D line worked on leverage and agility drills. fairly plain practice but worked on staying low and keeping hands extended to keep spacing. Wont be much to separate until the pads come on. Mark Pettit remains at DE since moving from OLB late last yr. Adding size, still needs more mass but could be good option on 3rd and long as pass rusher.

Lambert was unhappy with LB’s early in practice, slow on communication had him chewing Caleb Clayton-Molby. Nick Cook going through motions on one man sled also sent Lambert into a fit. Both players are expected starters and improved as day went on. Alcalde looks good as 1 OLB but the other side will be a battle. Jalen Holt, Tyler Destefani and Justin Bridges Thompson are all mixing reps.

Safeties look good and Ardy Holmes continues his strong play alongside Desmond Cooper. CB starters are Tank Norman and Greg Cunningham Jr. Pushed by Terrence Winchester and Devin Pearson.

After practice all the Freshmen stayed out and got extra work in schemes and ran drills together with position coaches. Many vets stayed but longest was Desmond Cooper and Austin Duke getting extra jugs machine reps and running with weighted sleds.

Red-shirt news: Lambert says any player that can contribute will play. Will give players 2 weeks to prove they deserve time and at that time will decide which players will receive a red-shirt.

Funny moments are Off Coordinator Jeff Mullen and Lambert really getting loud. They look to take loudest title from O-Line coach Phil Ratliff if that is even possible![/quote]

Thanks! This is an awesome write-up. Keep up the great work.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:16, topic:28917”][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:10, topic:28917”]http://gmine.blogspot.com/2014/07/observations-from-charlotte-49ers.html

Good write up.[/quote]
[font=georgia][size=3px]"-- Perhaps the best example of the new-look 49ers is right guard Daniel Blitch, who played last season at 320 pounds but has bulked up to 345. The increased weight appears all muscle. Whether that hinders his speed and quickness coming off the line, we’ll see."[/size][/font]
[font=georgia][size=1em]Here is one reason for the “new-look” 49ers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Pq-I97ItE (Daniel Blitch)[/size][/font]
[font=georgia][size=1em]More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnU6HWzU1s (Casey Perry); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznWplwxgAk Jamal Covington.[/size][/font]

Read more here: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2014/07/observations-from-charlotte-49ers.html#storylink=cpy[/quote]
When I was in college I could heft a keg pretty well, but I have no reference point for what these boys are doing. Blitch squatted over 1/3 of a ton. That is nuts.

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:21, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:20, topic:28917"]Devon Johnson looks a little hindered by his Achilles today. Lambert said he hopes he can recover to 100% but Achilles is a tricky injury…

Kalif and Ogunjobi participated with no restrictions and don’t have any plans of restrictions when the pads come on.

Offense:

Pretty standard practice today, helmets only but tempo was fast as always. Veterans lead all the drills and are really helping young guys understand drills and helping teach the schemes. Charlotte added more motion in backfield for RB’s and Kalif really helped teach Joc (Moving from H-Back) and Maetron Thomas with positioning.

LG is biggest competition on O-Line. Casey Perry will get fist opportunity to win spot. He won the job in spring but will have to hold off Mason Sledge.Jamal Covington stood out as really helping Freshman with questions and giving technique advice on pass set to FR OT Chris Brown. Most freshmen lineman come in needing to add size. FR Nate Davis has very good bulk on already, still needs more but looks very promising. (Charlotte thought very highly on him as a recruit) Note: R-SO Kyle Hoffman ran 2nd team LT not Wolfgang. (If Hoffman can provide depth I’d think they look to red-shirt Wolfgang.)

Duke and Bostick stand out, after that it will be open competition for 3rd spot. Early leaders are Nesmith, Devine and Thomas. (I lean thinking Devine holds key since he can line up outside and keep Duke in the slot.)

Not much action for H-backs today, a lot of 4-5 wr sets. Bolus should be starter. They worked on blocking most of the day.

Johnson looked good, McNeill played well and led the young guys and really made sure everyone is in position. (He drew praise from Lambert specifically during and after practice.) Barden looked good in drills but struggled in live 7-7’s. He forced the ball too much down field and was late on reads. Left his passes high and if in pads would have had receivers vulnerable.

Defense:

D line worked on leverage and agility drills. fairly plain practice but worked on staying low and keeping hands extended to keep spacing. Wont be much to separate until the pads come on. Mark Pettit remains at DE since moving from OLB late last yr. Adding size, still needs more mass but could be good option on 3rd and long as pass rusher.

Lambert was unhappy with LB’s early in practice, slow on communication had him chewing Caleb Clayton-Molby. Nick Cook going through motions on one man sled also sent Lambert into a fit. Both players are expected starters and improved as day went on. Alcalde looks good as 1 OLB but the other side will be a battle. Jalen Holt, Tyler Destefani and Justin Bridges Thompson are all mixing reps.

Safeties look good and Ardy Holmes continues his strong play alongside Desmond Cooper. CB starters are Tank Norman and Greg Cunningham Jr. Pushed by Terrence Winchester and Devin Pearson.

After practice all the Freshmen stayed out and got extra work in schemes and ran drills together with position coaches. Many vets stayed but longest was Desmond Cooper and Austin Duke getting extra jugs machine reps and running with weighted sleds.

Red-shirt news: Lambert says any player that can contribute will play. Will give players 2 weeks to prove they deserve time and at that time will decide which players will receive a red-shirt.

Funny moments are Off Coordinator Jeff Mullen and Lambert really getting loud. They look to take loudest title from O-Line coach Phil Ratliff if that is even possible![/quote]

Thanks! This is an awesome write-up. Keep up the great work.[/quote]

No Problem! I’ll do my best to get all the info I can out of practices for everyone!

Gonna focus on defense and who gets reps with what groups more tomorrow then do same next day with offense. Next week when pads come on I will break down each position group and how reps evolve for players.

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:23, topic:28917"][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:21, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:20, topic:28917"]Devon Johnson looks a little hindered by his Achilles today. Lambert said he hopes he can recover to 100% but Achilles is a tricky injury…

Offense:

Defense:

No Problem! I’ll do my best to get all the info I can out of practices for everyone!

Gonna focus on defense and who gets reps with what groups more tomorrow then do same next day with offense. Next week when pads come on I will break down each position group and how reps evolve for players.[/quote]

Thanks for the practice round up. I’m glad to see that Cunningham has not shifted from CB to Defensive End as our beat writer from the Observer reported. I guess he is just looking at our roster online though.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/28/5072522/charlotte-49ers-hope-seasoning.html#.U9o5pfldUj7

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:23, topic:28917"][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:21, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:20, topic:28917"]Devon Johnson looks a little hindered by his Achilles today. Lambert said he hopes he can recover to 100% but Achilles is a tricky injury…

Offense:

Defense:

Gonna focus on defense and who gets reps with what groups more tomorrow then do same next day with offense. Next week when pads come on I will break down each position group and how reps evolve for players.[/quote]

Great info, thanks. Love the comment in the Observer about size and speed this year over last. What are your thoughts. Also how did our new punter look. Looks to be a great catch and having a year before we go FBS is ideal.

Do you see any true freshmen who have a shot to contribute significantly this season?

… and for those of us who would like to see a little bit for ourselves… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HlwcgaAdE

(Compare this to last year at this time… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZfXVxi1sI)

With 2 of our top kick/punt returners gone here is who is getting work in practice.

NinerReport.com @CharlotteRivals ·
Team working on Kickoff returns now. Running through return man options: Nesmith, Duke, Thomas and Afam all getting chances.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:28, topic:28917”]With 2 of our top kick/punt returners gone here is who is getting work in practice.

NinerReport.com @CharlotteRivals ·
Team working on Kickoff returns now. Running through return man options: Nesmith, Duke, Thomas and Afam all getting chances.[/quote]

Afam was signed by Colorado for the purpose of being a kick returner. He scored 26 TDs his senior season, 4 of which were return TDs. I’ll be interested to see what he can do. Duke is too valuable as a receiver to risk on returns.

Here is Afam’s highlight film from his senior year. Could be a big time return guy.

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:30, topic:28917”]Here is Afam’s highlight film from his senior year. Could be a big time return guy.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/965428/highlights/20380383[/quote]

I love that he follows and waited on his blocks.

[quote=“Tintin, post:31, topic:28917”][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:30, topic:28917”]Here is Afam’s highlight film from his senior year. Could be a big time return guy.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/965428/highlights/20380383[/quote]

I love that he follows and waited on his blocks.[/quote]

noticed the same thing and loved it! has that burst when he’s ready too.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:27, topic:28917”]… and for those of us who would like to see a little bit for ourselves… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HlwcgaAdE

(Compare this to last year at this time… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZfXVxi1sI)[/quote]

Nice update, and looking back… .

[quote=“chasmo101, post:33, topic:28917”][quote=“NinerNirvana, post:27, topic:28917”]… and for those of us who would like to see a little bit for ourselves… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HlwcgaAdE

(Compare this to last year at this time… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZfXVxi1sI)[/quote]

Nice update, and looking back… .[/quote]

clt says we have a host now!

I also am expecting Afam to make an impact. Maybe I’m basing too much on the fact that he signed with Colorado first and that awesome highlight video, but it just seemed like he had the profile to be an impact player. My guess is he contributes.

just from his video. he has great football instincts, plus the quickness to do something with them. looking forward to seeing him in Mc-R!

Can I take easy route on what Freshman will have biggest impact?

It will be Freshman Punter Arthur Hart. Really good hang time, decent depth. Looks good overall but I haven’t watched him closely yet just in passing. Lambert praised his hang time on punts. Interesting Note: he is hearing impaired. Lambert said it was a non-issue when recruiting him. He can hear some loud pitches and can read lips. Team met him at one of summer camps and felt communication was good and liked his kicking style so they offered him.

If I cant go punter IDK who I would go with yet. Maybe a receiver for Return reasons? Either Montgomery or Quattlebaum. RB Maetron Thomas is looking good but I think they look to red-shirt most of them.

When pads come on people will stand out more, freshman only get 10-20 reps in team drills compared to 70-100 for most players.

Today’s Notes:

• Justin Bridges-Thompson is playing both ILB and OLB. Still think they want to red-shirt him but seeing what he can do at both spots.
  • OLB race is Jalen Holt and Daquan Lucas. Lucas moved from CB but Lambert really likes him in new role. (Alcalde locked up other LB spot)
  • Loser of practice today: Devin Pearson- got in trouble on 7-7 for giving up on play and Lambert kicked him out of drills for rest of day.
  • Highlight of day: Matt Johnson faked out 3rd team defense on pump fake and hit Nesmith down field for 40 yd td.
  • FR-OT Chris Brown not practicing (Tweaked knee)
  • FS Prince Mayela having good camp, I dont think he can unseat Ardy Holmes or Desmond Cooper though.

Kick return options:

Order they went and who they paired with…

1st (Nesmith, Damarrell Alexander)
2nd (Duke, Tank Norman)
3rd (Will Thomas, Chris Montgomery)
4th (Afam, Mark Quattlebaum)

PR options:

Didn’t practice but according to Lambert- Damarrell Alexander, Duke, Holmes. (all he named I’m on lookout for that)

Forgot to say:

Charlotte at Elon Game will be moved back to 7 PM game time. TV station picked up game and will be televised.

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:37, topic:28917"]Can I take easy route on what Freshman will have biggest impact?

It will be Freshman Punter Arthur Hart. Really good hang time, decent depth. Looks good overall but I haven’t watched him closely yet just in passing. Lambert praised his hang time on punts. Interesting Note: he is hearing impaired. Lambert said it was a non-issue when recruiting him. He can hear some loud pitches and can read lips. Team met him at one of summer camps and felt communication was good and liked his kicking style so they offered him.

If I cant go punter IDK who I would go with yet. Maybe a receiver for Return reasons? Either Montgomery or Quattlebaum. RB Maetron Thomas is looking good but I think they look to red-shirt most of them.

When pads come on people will stand out more, freshman only get 10-20 reps in team drills compared to 70-100 for most players.

Today’s Notes:

• Justin Bridges-Thompson is playing both ILB and OLB. Still think they want to red-shirt him but seeing what he can do at both spots.
  • OLB race is Jalen Holt and Daquan Lucas. Lucas moved from CB but Lambert really likes him in new role. (Alcalde locked up other LB spot)
  • Loser of practice today: Devin Pearson- got in trouble on 7-7 for giving up on play and Lambert kicked him out of drills for rest of day.
  • Highlight of day: Matt Johnson faked out 3rd team defense on pump fake and hit Nesmith down field for 40 yd td.
  • FR-OT Chris Brown not practicing (Tweaked knee)
  • FS Prince Mayela having good camp, I dont think he can unseat Ardy Holmes or Desmond Cooper though.

Kick return options:

Order they went and who they paired with…

1st (Nesmith, Damarrell Alexander)
2nd (Duke, Tank Norman)
3rd (Will Thomas, Chris Montgomery)
4th (Afam, Mark Quattlebaum)

PR options:

Didn’t practice but according to Lambert- Damarrell Alexander, Duke, Holmes. (all he named I’m on lookout for that)[/quote]

Happy to see Montgomery getting some attention. He is the first Niner from my high school (Burns).

Good to see Lambert is setting the tone for what he wants from his players, I really like seeing that (with the whole kicking Devin out of practice).