2014 Fall Baseball

Team practice started a few weeks ago and the Niners will be hosting a scrimmage against the Ontario Blue Jays this Friday at 2:00. This is the same org we played last year in a fall scrimmage. I think they played 16 innings or so last year. It was very informal and just intended to get as many guys some game work as possible.

I don’t know how much we will be able to tell form this scrimmage, but we lost a lot of pitching from last years team including all 3 weekend, and 1 week day starter. There are some big holes to fill there. Lot of freshman arms in this recruiting class.

Of course the annual Green-White World Series will be coming up in October and we should be able to tell more about the 2015 team during that pre-season series.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209675053

They played 12 innings today and the Niners won 14-5.

Elwood had 3 doubles and a HR. Sherer, Des Roberts, and Nichting also hit homers.

All our pitchers were newcomers/ freshmen except Micah Wells and Sean Geoghegan.

Here was our defensive alignment:
C King
1b Sherer
2b Nichting
3b Gallello
SS Luke Gibbs
LF Alex Reynolds
CF Jarrett
RF Elwood
P Prochaska
DH Des Roberts

Another Piedmont signee :slight_smile: for Coach Hibbs and the Diamond Niners. Todd Elwood (Piedmont Jr./Brad’s youngest brother) has verballed to Charlotte. Great kid from a great family, by all accounts…Class of '16 !!!

Green/White World Series Announced:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209718300

Game 1: Thursday October 23, 5:00
Game 2: Friday October 24, 5:00
Game 3: Sunday October 26, 12:00
Game 4: Thursday October 30, 5:00
Game 5: Friday October 31, 5:00

Rosters released for the Green/ White Series.

With all the new arms and the new hitter friendly balls that are being used this year, we will see plenty of balls leaving the yard in this series.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209728381

Green won game 1 4-0. Sean Geoghegan pitched 6 scoreless innings and looked good in his return from surgery last season. Maybe he will emerge as one of our weekend guys.

Hope so…we need some arms.

A few other interesting things to note from yesterday:

-Zach Jarrett was once again playing CF yesterday. He played there in the Canadian scrimmage also. Des Roberts is out after having shoulder surgery, so I wonder if we will see Jarrett there and Des at the DH in the spring. I’m not sure if Jarret has the speed to play out there but he has made some good plays this fall from what I have seen. He was mostly a corner Outfielder last season.

• Brad Elwood was playing 1B for Green instead of his normal 2B, OF or 3B. Sherer was on 1B for White. I wonder if this was just out of necessity for the scrimmages or if he will get time there in the Spring?

• Our second baseman from last year, TJ Nichting was playing RF yesterday for White, with incoming Freshmen Hunter Jones and Brett Netzer playing 2B for Green and White respectively. Nichting played a little OF at the start of last year before Creech got injured, but I wonder if this is a permanent move and we are letting the 2 freshmen battle for the 2B spot. Are the freshmen good enough to push Nichting to the OF?

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:9, topic:29038”]A few other interesting things to note from yesterday:

-Zach Jarrett was once again playing CF yesterday. He played there in the Canadian scrimmage also. Des Roberts is out after having shoulder surgery, so I wonder if we will see Jarrett there and Des at the DH in the spring. I’m not sure if Jarret has the speed to play out there but he has made some good plays this fall from what I have seen. He was mostly a corner Outfielder last season.

• Brad Elwood was playing 1B for Green instead of his normal 2B, OF or 3B. Sherer was on 1B for White. I wonder if this was just out of necessity for the scrimmages or if he will get time there in the Spring?

• Our second baseman from last year, TJ Nichting was playing RF yesterday for White, with incoming Freshmen Hunter Jones and Brett Netzer playing 2B for Green and White respectively. Nichting played a little OF at the start of last year before Creech got injured, but I wonder if this is a permanent move and we are letting the 2 freshmen battle for the 2B spot. Are the freshmen good enough to push Nichting to the OF?[/quote]
    Hunter Jones played 2nd almost exclusively in HS I think when he wasn’t on the mound.
    What is Creech’s status?

[quote=“919R, post:10, topic:29038”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:9, topic:29038”]A few other interesting things to note from yesterday:

• Our second baseman from last year, TJ Nichting was playing RF yesterday for White, with incoming Freshmen Hunter Jones and Brett Netzer playing 2B for Green and White respectively. Nichting played a little OF at the start of last year before Creech got injured, but I wonder if this is a permanent move and we are letting the 2 freshmen battle for the 2B spot. Are the freshmen good enough to push Nichting to the OF?[/quote]
    Hunter Jones played 2nd almost exclusively in HS I think when he wasn’t on the mound.
    What is Creech’s status?[/quote]

I think that his playing days are over. Not sure of the details about his injuries, but he is no longer on the roster. He was the 1st Base Coach during the exhibition vs Ontario so he may be a student manager.

Green won both games 2 and 3 this weekend. Green swept the series 3-0. I’m not sure of if they will still play games 4 and 5 just to get work or not.

I was able to catch most of Friday’s game.

JUCO lefty JD Prochaska looked solid and I think he may be a candidate to be one of our starters. He looked good in the Ontario exhibition also.

Logan Sherer launched a 3 run HR in the 1st inning. Looking forward to see his improvement this season.

Elwood looks healthy and had a big 3 games. Gallello looked solid. Daddio looks healthy and appears to have put on some size in the weight room.

Sounds like Brandon Casas looked good on the mound yesterday allowing only 1 hit. He is a transfer from Maryland so I think he has to sit this year.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:12, topic:29038”]Green won both games 2 and 3 this weekend. Green swept the series 3-0. I’m not sure of if they will still play games 4 and 5 just to get work or not.

I was able to catch most of Friday’s game.

JUCO lefty JD Prochaska looked solid and I think he may be a candidate to be one of our starters. He looked good in the Ontario exhibition also.

Logan Sherer launched a 3 run HR in the 1st inning. Looking forward to see his improvement this season.

Elwood looks healthy and had a big 3 games. Gallello looked solid. Daddio looks healthy and appears to have put on some size in the weight room.

Sounds like Brandon Casas looked good on the mound yesterday allowing only 1 hit. He is a transfer from Maryland so I think he has to sit this year.[/quote]

Sounds good on all counts except Creech. I hate that, he was pretty good wasn’t he?

@Diamond9erFans
Scheduling note: Niners will host NC State @ BB&T Ballpark on 3-31 and travel to NCSU on 4-15 according to this site: http://tinyurl.com/nr2p832

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:14, topic:29038”]@Diamond9erFans
Scheduling note: Niners will host NC State @ BB&T Ballpark on 3-31 and travel to NCSU on 4-15 according to this site: http://tinyurl.com/nr2p832[/quote]
oh snap! :slight_smile:

According to the Twitter baseball will have multiple games at Bb and T Ballpark. That should be fun.

Only 1 this year. NC State at BB&T Ballpark on March 31.

Only 1 this year. NC State at BB&T Ballpark on March 31.[/quote]
Ah the Twitter page made it seem like more. Was hoping we might have a weekend series uptown

Ah the Twitter page made it seem like more. Was hoping we might have a weekend series uptown[/quote]

49er Baseball and beer is a good combo.

That game is on a Tuesday, so it should not interfere with our basketball game in the NCAA Regional’s.

Ah the Twitter page made it seem like more. Was hoping we might have a weekend series uptown[/quote]

49er Baseball and beer is a good combo.

That game is on a Tuesday, so it should not interfere with our basketball game in the NCAA Regional’s.[/quote]
Would they allow beer sales since it’s a college game? Although there are plenty of bars within walking distance