2017 Baseball Thread

[quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/10/26/baseball-announces-toughest-schedule-in-program-history.aspx

Very strong schedule this year with OOC weekends being WVU, @ ECU, Rider, & Xavier. Mid weeks with SC, NC State, & Wake.

We play WKU for the first time this year, and drop USM from the C-USA schedule.

Home C-USA weekends: LaTech, FAU, MTSU, Rice, UTSA
Road C-USA Weekends: FIU, ODU, WKU, UAB, Marshall[/quote]
There’s no explanation for WHY they chose to create the toughest schedule in history.[/quote]

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/10/26/baseball-announces-toughest-schedule-in-program-history.aspx

Very strong schedule this year with OOC weekends being WVU, @ ECU, Rider, & Xavier. Mid weeks with SC, NC State, & Wake.

There’s no explanation for WHY they chose to create the toughest schedule in history.[/quote]

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.[/quote] yes, we only beat 3 Top 15 teams on the road last season.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.[/quote] You base this opinion on? Let me know when you decide to tell Hibbs this to his face. I want to witness that scene.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:23, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.[/quote] You base this opinion on? Let me know when you decide to tell Hibbs this to his face. I want to witness that scene.[/quote]

I base this on the excuses the AD has given us past for mediocrity. I spoke with Hibbs 2 years ago at the alumni tailgate and he mentioned the rebuilding would pay off soon. I guess I should of asked him what his definition of soon is. 2011 was last time we made any noise and 4 game win improvement over the past 2 seasons doesn’t move the needle.

At some point we need see the win column fill up or we need to find the guy that will get us over the hump.

[quote=“919R, post:22, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.[/quote] yes, we only beat 3 Top 15 teams on the road last season.[/quote]

Great but we went 23-32 overall, 14-20 at home, and were swept right out of the conference tournament. Alan Major’s teams got up for some big games too.

I am with Bleeds on this (And that is why I posted the .500 comment before). I will be the first to admit my ignorance about our baseball team. However, a consistent losing record speaks for itself IMO.

Hibbs is not the problem with this baseball program. He’s had more winning seasons than losing one’s here, and that’s pretty impressive considering the resources he’s working with. A serious investment is needed with our program if we want to be consistently competing in the top of this conference.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:25, topic:30527”][quote=“919R, post:22, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Built in excuse for Hibbs, we can’t even beat middle of the road teams half the time. We will finish around .500 and Judy will tell you to look at the schedule.[/quote] yes, we only beat 3 Top 15 teams on the road last season.[/quote]

Great but we went 23-32 overall, 14-20 at home, and were swept right out of the conference tournament. Alan Major’s teams got up for some big games too.[/quote]

Please…when C-USA basketball reaches the quality level of C-USA baseball OR when Hibbs gets comparable resources to what AM had (relative to the competition) get back to me.

[quote=“919R, post:28, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:25, topic:30527”][quote=“919R, post:22, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Great but we went 23-32 overall, 14-20 at home, and were swept right out of the conference tournament. Alan Major’s teams got up for some big games too.[/quote]

Please…when C-USA basketball reaches the quality level of C-USA baseball OR when Hibbs gets comparable resources to what AM had (relative to the competition) get back to me.[/quote]

My point wasn’t to make an apples to apples comparsion (I know CUSA baseball is tougher). My point was you can’t say everything is ok because he won 3 games against ranked opponents. We were suppose to see a YOY improvement in CUSA and we haven’t, plain and simple.

If no one wants to invest big money in a .500 program at some point you have to win with what you have to get to that next level and gain those resources. Maybe it is a chicken and egg predicament but I feel like we are spinning our wheels right now.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:29, topic:30527”][quote=“919R, post:28, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:25, topic:30527”][quote=“919R, post:22, topic:30527”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:21, topic:30527”][quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Please…when C-USA basketball reaches the quality level of C-USA baseball OR when Hibbs gets comparable resources to what AM had (relative to the competition) get back to me.[/quote]

My point wasn’t to make an apples to apples comparsion (I know CUSA baseball is tougher). My point was you can’t say everything is ok because he won 3 games against ranked opponents. We were suppose to see a YOY improvement in CUSA and we haven’t, plain and simple.

If no one wants to invest big money in a .500 program at some point you have to win with what you have to get to that next level and gain those resources. Maybe it is a chicken and egg predicament but I feel like we are spinning our wheels right now.[/quote]

I disagree. This team was much better (if you actually watch them and keep up with them throughout the season) last season than the previous one and I fully expect more improvement this season.

You’ve been saying this for years now, I know you’re Hibbs’ buddy but at some point the results need represent this “marked improvement” you speak of.

You’ve been saying this for years now, I know you’re Hibbs’ buddy but at some point the results need represent this “marked improvement” you speak of.[/quote]

I believe we only lost 3 seniors off last year’s team. Let’s see what happens this year.

You’ve been saying this for years now, I know you’re Hibbs’ buddy but at some point the results need represent this “marked improvement” you speak of.[/quote]

False

Last years offense was drastically improved from years past. It went from near the bottom in the league in '15 to top 4-5 in C-USA in '16. The pitching struggled last season and it didn’t help that our ace missed the last 4 weeks with an injury.

We’ve been picked to finish either last or next to last in the 3 years we’ve been in the conference by the coaches. We were 12th in our first year 2014, finished 10th in 2015, and improved to 8th last year and made the C-USA Tourney. I’d be happy if we continued that upward movement and finish 6th this year in one of the top baseball conferences in the country.

Last years offense was drastically improved from years past. It went from near the bottom in the league in '15 to top 4-5 in C-USA in '16. The pitching struggled last season and it didn’t help that our ace missed the last 4 weeks with an injury.

We’ve been picked to finish either last or next to last in the 3 years we’ve been in the conference by the coaches. We were 12th in our first year 2014, finished 10th in 2015, and improved to 8th last year and made the C-USA Tourney. I’d be happy if we continued that upward movement and finish 6th this year in one of the top baseball conferences in the country.[/quote]

Oh, you’ve been saying this for years. :slight_smile:

The Wake Forest game has been moved uptown to BB&T Park. So now we have 2 games in the Knights Ballpark for 2017.

Tuesday, March 21
Wake Forest University vs. Charlotte 49ers
7:05 p.m. First Pitch

Tuesday, March 28
N.C. State University vs. Charlotte 49ers
7:05 p.m. First Pitch

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20161215&content_id=211220960&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t494&sid=t494

Brett Netzer named 3rd Team pre-season All-American by Collegiate Baseball. Hopefully he has another big year in 2017.

Apparently he goes to a school called ‘N.C. Charlotte.’

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/120626/880191/DqTNvkAp3Bwyvwu/2017-Collegiate-Baseball-Pre-Season-All-Americans.pdf

http://charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/12/19/baseball-brett-netzer-named-preseason-all-american.aspx

Preseason rank: 6th place

ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
P Kirk McCarty Jr. Southern Miss
P Ricardo Salinas Jr. Rice
P Casey Sutton Sr. Louisiana Tech
RP Glenn Otto Jr. Rice
C Brent Diaz Jr. Louisiana Tech
IF Taylor Braley Jr. Southern Miss
IF Dylan Burdeaux Sr. Southern Miss
IF Brett Netzer Jr. Charlotte
IF Ford Proctor So. Rice
IF Logan Sherer Sr. Charlotte
OF Jesse Baker Sr. UTSA
OF T.J. Nichting Sr. Charlotte
OF Charlie Warren Sr. Rice
DH/UT Sean Labsan Sr. Florida Atlantic
DH/UT Jonathan Washam Sr. Louisiana Tech

[quote=“Niner17, post:38, topic:30527”]http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2017/01/25/2017-conference-usa-preseason-poll-released/

Preseason rank: 6th place

ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
P Kirk McCarty Jr. Southern Miss
P Ricardo Salinas Jr. Rice
P Casey Sutton Sr. Louisiana Tech
RP Glenn Otto Jr. Rice
C Brent Diaz Jr. Louisiana Tech
IF Taylor Braley Jr. Southern Miss
IF Dylan Burdeaux Sr. Southern Miss
IF Brett Netzer Jr. Charlotte
IF Ford Proctor So. Rice
IF Logan Sherer Sr. Charlotte
OF Jesse Baker Sr. UTSA
OF T.J. Nichting Sr. Charlotte
OF Charlie Warren Sr. Rice
DH/UT Sean Labsan Sr. Florida Atlantic
DH/UT Jonathan Washam Sr. Louisiana Tech[/quote]

Finishing 6th would fit with the gradual progression forward. We went from 12th to 10th to 8th last year.

I think our offense will be really good, if our pitching is average to above average, I think we could surprise some people. It would be nice to be able to climb into that top 4 in the conference and be in at-large discussions in May. We have the OOC schedule to put a nice resume together.

Pitching is the big question mark right now. A new pitching Coach may be the spark the guys needed. I didn’t make it out to any fall games so I have no idea what the new guys look like. From last year we have:

Josh Maciejewski- Solid lefty, should be our ace on Fridays.
Sean Geoghegan- last years Friday starter, injured late last year, still working back to 100%. Not sure where hit fits right now.
Colton Laws- struggled as a RS Freshman last year but showed some bright spots after getting several weekend starts
Matt Horkey- Junior Lefty was mainly a mid-week starter last year
Brandon Vogler- Senior righty mainly used as a week day stater and bullpen guy
JD Prochaska- Lefty was a weekend starter early last year and struggled. Ended up a bullpen guy.
[size=1em]Brandon Casas- Righty was [font=verdana]a weekend starter early last year and struggled. Ended up a bullpen guy.[/font][/size]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Phillip Perry- Mainly a bullpen guy last year after tranferring form ECU, Had 2 starts.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=1em]Some new guys that might get in the mix:[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]RHP Jonah Patten- JUCO that transferred from Arkansas[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]RHP Zach Flanagan- JUCO sat out last year with an injury.[/size][/font]

clt says to order tickets for the uptown series today.