College football attendance decline

CBSSports.com: College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

Stop kneeling! Oh wait.

The ACC experienced its lowest average attendance (48,442) since 1999 (45,073). The 2017 figure was the lowest among Power Five conferences for the 13th straight year.

clt bets mike P to post that.

Almost every game (except CUSA games) can be streamed on a big screen TV in HD from the comfort of your own home.

Technology combined with new far flung conferences is recipe for continued decline.

clt would like to see tailgate attendance. Now that you can easily steam at the tailgate, people can hang out, drink, and eat more.

So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

I do think more regional conferences would help to get more traveling fans in the doors. I certainly would go to more away games if I they were drivable.

Probability of us expanding the stadium just went down.

[quote=“Gassman, post:7, topic:32343”]So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

I do think more regional conferences would help to get more traveling fans in the doors. I certainly would go to more away games if I they were drivable.

Probability of us expanding the stadium just went down.[/quote] Sooo, probability is LESS than zero now?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:8, topic:32343”][quote=“Gassman, post:7, topic:32343”]So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

Probability of us expanding the stadium just went down.[/quote] Sooo, probability is LESS than zero now?[/quote]

We still need a 25,000 seat stadium for our big games. We aren’t going to suck forever.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:9, topic:32343”][quote=“4ever niner, post:8, topic:32343”][quote=“Gassman, post:7, topic:32343”]So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

Probability of us expanding the stadium just went down.[/quote] Sooo, probability is LESS than zero now?[/quote]

We still need a 25,000 seat stadium for our big games. We aren’t going to suck forever.[/quote]

clt says 25_30k would be ideal.

It’s crazy to think that it wasn’t a nuclear holocaust or a plague that brought us the first zombie apocalypse…it was smartphones and the people mindlessly scroll for hours on end.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:9, topic:32343”][quote=“4ever niner, post:8, topic:32343”][quote=“Gassman, post:7, topic:32343”]So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

We still need a 25,000 seat stadium for our big games. We aren’t going to suck forever.[/quote]

Anyone heard about them adding temporary seating for the App game next year?

[quote=“Gassman, post:12, topic:32343”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:9, topic:32343”][quote=“4ever niner, post:8, topic:32343”][quote=“Gassman, post:7, topic:32343”]So many people (especially younger people) just don’t care about sports anymore. And they sure as hell don’t have any motivation to go to the games. Too many other things to do.

Anyone heard about them adding temporary seating for the App game next year?[/quote]

Judy refused to add any temp seating. I suspect new AD may think different. Until they are here though doubt we hear anything.

Doesn’t have to be much. Even if they add bleachers to seat 500 additional people the narrative changes from sellout to “demand was so high they had to add temporary seats”. That’s not a bad thing for people to hear.

clt says the appy game will sell out likely.

1 Like

a few obvious reasons for me:

1. technology - why sit way up in the nosebleeds in the elements when you can watch at home with a beer in hand in a comfy recliner
  2. the game is rigged - why bother when there’s no real playoff - if you’re not one of a few schools, what’s the point?

Now, if I lived in Charlotte, I’d be at every one of our games, but I don’t.

I think point number 2 is one of the biggest reasons, tbh, combined with far-flung conferences. A lot of people need to feel they’re playing for something. If it’s bragging rights over regional rivals, great! If it’s an actual chance at the playoffs, awesome! But a conference or division title only means so much when people don’t even know who is in the conference or they don’t regularly interact with anyone who went to those schools who they can chat with about the game on Saturday.

2 Likes

clt blames millennials

1 Like

Ticket cost, parking cost, concessions… And yes, to maintain any momentum you have to be playing for something.
College football is only for he elite, easy to see this coming.