2017 Football Changes?

Sorry, you are correct, WAC. Still, it was an FBS conference despite saying it’s not. I’m sure the competition had to be better than non scholarship programs, Campbell, Wesley College, and Morehead St, which we were collecting our paltry 5 wins against our 2nd year. But, there’s probably another excuse that I’m missing.

[/quote]Mullen has never overshot expectations since hes been here. He has been awful all four years.
[/quote]

He averaged 33 points in '13, 39 PPG in '14. and then,without a quarterback, 19 PPG last year. He whiffed on Brooks Barden, who we all thought was going to be fantastic when we signed him. That chased off several prospects (including Hasaan Klugh). If Barden had been solid, we would have been better last year, but it is what it is. I would not describe his performance as awful. I get it, you guys don’t like his play calls. I don’t always like them either, but I don’t understand this narrative that he’s a joke. Matt Johnson is not an FBS QB. He was never supposed to be. He whiffed on Brooks Barden. If any of you thought Brooks was going to be this bad when we recruited him, please speak now.

We compare ourselves to a program that was in the WAC. We recruited FCS independent. They recruited WAC. Say what you will about the league but it’s still not apples to apples. Their 8 win team was great. If we had known we were going to go CUSA before that first class, our first class would have been even better than it was.

Trust the process.

Trust the process. I love your optimism, but the process I have seen so far has not produced a home FBS win. Hard for me to trust that.

[b]Mullen has never overshot expectations since hes been here. He has been awful all four years.

He averaged 33 points in '13, 39 PPG in '14. and then,without a quarterback, 19 PPG last year. He whiffed on Brooks Barden, who we all thought was going to be fantastic when we signed him. That chased off several prospects (including Hasaan Klugh). If Barden had been solid, we would have been better last year, but it is what it is. I would not describe his performance as awful. I get it, you guys don’t like his play calls. I don’t always like them either, but I don’t understand this narrative that he’s a joke. Matt Johnson is not an FBS QB. He was never supposed to be. He whiffed on Brooks Barden. If any of you thought Brooks was going to be this bad when we recruited him, please speak now.

We compare ourselves to a program that was in the WAC. We recruited FCS independent. They recruited WAC. Say what you will about the league but it’s still not apples to apples. Their 8 win team was great. If we had known we were going to go CUSA before that first class, our first class would have been even better than it was.

Trust the process.[/b]

Sorry, their first class was recruited FCS as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTSA_Roadrunners_football

On February 3, 2010, National Signing Day, UTSA officially announced their inaugural signing class.

On November 10, 2010, it was reported that the WAC had offered UTSA, along with fellow Southland conference member Texas State and Sun Belt Conference member Denver an invitation to join its conference that would take effect in 2012.

It’s ok to not make excuses. It’s ok to expect more.

FAU fires coach after three losing seasons.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:24, topic:30657”][b]Mullen has never overshot expectations since hes been here. He has been awful all four years.

Trust the process.[/b]

Sorry, their first class was recruited FCS as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTSA_Roadrunners_football

On February 3, 2010, National Signing Day, UTSA officially announced their inaugural signing class.

On November 10, 2010, it was reported that the WAC had offered UTSA, along with fellow Southland conference member Texas State and Sun Belt Conference member Denver an invitation to join its conference that would take effect in 2012.

It’s ok to not make excuses. It’s ok to expect more.[/quote]our schedule was mostly non scholarship fcs, d2, or d3 schools.

How many points did we average against scholarship fcs programs? I bet it was considerably lower. Who you play matters and must be taken into account.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:6, topic:30657”]I just don’t know who we could get and expect more from. Can we compare what we are paying our guys to other staffs in the area?

I know I am in the minority here, but I would really like to see Jeff Mullens have one more year. While the Offensive line will not have been together as long, it will be a much more talented group. We return two solid backs, both QBs and many of our wideouts. If he can’t be successful with next year’s group offensively, that’s inexcusable. Not to mention, the guy has been a good recruiter. We have as much talent at skill positions offensively as anybody in CUSA. If you don’t think Jeff has something to do with that, you’re crazy.

Defensively, we just have to get better in the secondary. Our two best players there were a transfer and a true freshman. We need our 4 year guys to be better than they are. I expect a major step down on the defensive line (which scares the crap out of me) and a slight step down at linebacker. We MUST be better in the secondary if we are going to compete next year. Can anybody speak to what we return on the D-line? That’s the scariest aspect of this to me.

With that said, if it’s “bowl or bust” next year there is no reason to change coordinators. If Brad is that much on the hot seat, I’ll leave his coordinators in his hands. For the record, UTSA just tied the record last night for fasted program to a bowl game in year 6. We are looking at year 5 next year. I know this opinion is not exactly popular either, but I do feel we are ahead of the curve.[/quote]

Nice post Clayton… We continue to build and have maintained the strategy of red-shirting as many players as we possibly can each year. We won 4 games this year with FCS recruits(and very well could have won 2 more). We had just 1 offensive line starter from the 1st game start the second half last night. We dont have the depth “yet” to survive the kind of injuries that we had this year. Folks on this board should be aware the issues are far more than just coaching.

[quote=“FridayNiner, post:7, topic:30657”]Light rail will be operational for next season, perfect opportunity to bring Charlotteans out to football games, and build the fan base, if some marketing is done. Brad Lambert is a class act, hats off to him in my opinion, as an alum, I don’t want wins at any cost, and NCAA investigation and scandal, I will take upholding academic integrity, I would rather see building the program the right way, and I think Lambert is doing that.
We have some exciting recruits coming in next year, and hopefully the coaching staff will be tweaked as needed, but we are headed in the right direction. Stop whining! We have built a football program from absolutely nothing, built a new stadium, have gone to FBS level, and should be very competitive next season.
A very ambitious 5 year plan. Get behind the program, these derogatory posts only serve to undermine the program, and possibly deter potential recruits. I am behind the 49ers! Get on board![/quote]

Another solid post… I as much as anyone want and will settle for no less than a winning program… but this was year 4… we did well.

I can’t wait for the FCS excuse to end. My god.

[quote=“FridayNiner, post:7, topic:30657”]Light rail will be operational for next season, perfect opportunity to bring Charlotteans out to football games, and build the fan base, if some marketing is done. Brad Lambert is a class act, hats off to him in my opinion, as an alum, I don’t want wins at any cost, and NCAA investigation and scandal, I will take upholding academic integrity, I would rather see building the program the right way, and I think Lambert is doing that.
We have some exciting recruits coming in next year, and hopefully the coaching staff will be tweaked as needed, but we are headed in the right direction. Stop whining! We have built a football program from absolutely nothing, built a new stadium, have gone to FBS level, and should be very competitive next season.
A very ambitious 5 year plan. Get behind the program, these derogatory posts only serve to undermine the program, and possibly deter potential recruits. I am behind the 49ers! Get on board![/quote]

In all seriousness…would you be interested in my 4 FSL’s?

clt says the o chimes in.

You can lack talent and show the potential of being a good team/coaching staff…we have not.

We are extremely penalized, have been in multiple positions to finish games and fail, lack the ability as a coaching staff to adjust gameplans to play to our strengths and consistently shoot ourselves in the foot. Hell two of our wins (FAU and Marshall) were extremely close to being losses not due to anything we did, but our mistakes.

We are in arguably the worst football conference in the country. If our talent level is so far below FIU, FAU, ODU and Rice that the coaching staff gets a pass, that’s worrisome enough.

Lambert has built his program, at best we might luck our way into a 6-6 season if the stars align, but even those season will be bitter much like this one. But the success won’t be consistent, and it won’t be in an exciting manner to draw fans.

The longer we stick with Lambert the farther we will fall behind, but since our AD doesn’t care about success it probably doesn’t matter anyways.

I have to question why I just received an advertisement for 2017 football season tickets for UNC-Chapel Hill and have not received one for Charlotte. WTF? I have hated the Holes my entire life. The last sporting event I attended on that campus was the last time we played basketball in the Dean Dome about 20 years ago. We got so screwed in that game. But why the hell am I receiving an ad for another school that I hate and not one from my own damn school. No wonder we can’t draw 15K. I can’t even renew my season tickets at Charlotte yet. I can’t give them as a Christmas gift as I want to for my sister and her family. So F-ing inept. I guess I could give them UNC Chapel-Hill season tickets but no one in my family likes them. Yet somehow I get an ad from them???

I remember before we started football that the ODU athletic director said that football would expose every weakness in your athletic department if you have any. Well, I think that our athletic department has been very exposed. We can’t market, we can’t fund raise, we have the lowest paid coaching staff in C-USA, we just lost the best tailgating spot we had and our Athletic Department says absolutely nothing.

I personally wonder how the hell our football program has done as well as it has. I support my university, I support the players but Judy needs to retire ASAP. I have had enough of her “leadership.” I will be in Richardson Stadium next season but if Judy is still here she will get an ear full from this supporter of the program.

I know this isn’t a popular viewpoint here, but we are ahead of schedule. After only four years of football (2 in the FBS) we are already on par with much of CUSA. The frustration we are exhibiting is because the talent gap is not as great as we expected it to be. We played seven bowl teams, started the wrong QB for a quarter of the season, and still ended up 4-8 and should have been bowling.

How do we take the next step in the program and get to a bowl?

• The special teams must improve. The number of missed XPs was inexcusable. Special teams play is analagous to free throw shooting in basketball. It’s difficult to win close games when you are poor at it.

• The line play needs to not take too large a step back. We had a lot of age in the line, and that is the place where it matters the most. Ogunjobi is also a once in a decade D-Lineman for us. Our skill positions will be fine next year, but I am concerned about the lines.

-Lambert must get better at his in-game strategic decisions. The FAU. FIU, and Rice games were not examples of coaching brilliance. However I will give him credit for making the QB change and for changing the speed of the offense when the change occurred.

-Run the ball. We have two P5 caliber RBs, we’ve got to use them.

I still don’t know if Lambert is the long term answer here, however if you told me in year 4 we would beat Marshall and Southern Miss, take MTSU to the wire, and win three conference games when we started the program I would have been ecstatic. It’s not an excuse it’s reality that a quarter of our roster this year were FCS recruits and we’re still banging with the middle of the conference. This could have been a magical year, but instead it was just another step forward. The good news is another step forward gets us in a bowl, and that is a big deal. Ask the UTSA fans about that if you doubt me.

[quote=“chidave, post:34, topic:30657”]I know this isn’t a popular viewpoint here, but we are ahead of schedule. After only four years of football (2 in the FBS) we are already on par with much of CUSA. The frustration we are exhibiting is because the talent gap is not as great as we expected it to be. We played seven bowl teams, started the wrong QB for a quarter of the season, and still ended up 4-8 and should have been bowling.

• The special teams must improve. The number of missed XPs was inexcusable. Special teams play is analagous to free throw shooting in basketball. It’s difficult to win close games when you are poor at it.

• The line play needs to not take too large a step back. We had a lot of age in the line, and that is the place where it matters the most. Ogunjobi is also a once in a decade D-Lineman for us. Our skill positions will be fine next year, but I am concerned about the lines.

-Lambert must get better at his in-game strategic decisions. The FAU. FIU, and Rice games were not examples of coaching brilliance. However I will give him credit for making the QB change and for changing the speed of the offense when the change occurred.

I still don’t know if Lambert is the long term answer here, however if you told me in year 4 we would beat Marshall and Southern Miss, take MTSU to the wire, and win three conference games when we started the program I would have been ecstatic. It’s not an excuse it’s reality that a quarter of our roster this year were FCS recruits and we’re still banging with the middle of the conference. This could have been a magical year, but instead it was just another step forward. The good news is another step forward gets us in a bowl, and that is a big deal. Ask the UTSA fans about that if you doubt me.[/quote]

Quality post. The football program is not perfect but better than I expected. My disappointment is with other parts of our Athletic Department. I agree that play calling and in game decision making needs to improve. I truly like Lambert and hope he can make the improvements to get us where we all want to be.

A D-Line JUCO transfer

[quote=“chidave, post:34, topic:30657”]I know this isn’t a popular viewpoint here, but we are ahead of schedule. After only four years of football (2 in the FBS) we are already on par with much of CUSA. The frustration we are exhibiting is because the talent gap is not as great as we expected it to be. We played seven bowl teams, started the wrong QB for a quarter of the season, and still ended up 4-8 and should have been bowling.

I still don’t know if Lambert is the long term answer here, however if you told me in year 4 we would beat Marshall and Southern Miss, take MTSU to the wire, and win three conference games when we started the program I would have been ecstatic. It’s not an excuse it’s reality that a quarter of our roster this year were FCS recruits and we’re still banging with the middle of the conference. This could have been a magical year, but instead it was just another step forward. The good news is another step forward gets us in a bowl, and that is a big deal. Ask the UTSA fans about that if you doubt me.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. I graduated in 2012 and moved away. Ended up coming back home a few years later. Never made a game in the first few seasons. I went to 5 out of 6 home games. Losing by so little hurt, but I enjoy having something to cheer for. My wife went to Wisconsin and loves her school, but she says that she feels something special about our team and refers to them as our Niners. We are sold on the idea of the team. Can’t wait to buy our season tickets for next year.

The Marshall win meant nothing. They are awful

[quote=“akjones989, post:37, topic:30657”][quote=“chidave, post:34, topic:30657”]I know this isn’t a popular viewpoint here, but we are ahead of schedule. After only four years of football (2 in the FBS) we are already on par with much of CUSA. The frustration we are exhibiting is because the talent gap is not as great as we expected it to be. We played seven bowl teams, started the wrong QB for a quarter of the season, and still ended up 4-8 and should have been bowling.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I graduated in 2012 and moved away. Ended up coming back home a few years later. Never made a game in the first few seasons. I went to 5 out of 6 home games. Losing by so little hurt, but I enjoy having something to cheer for. My wife went to Wisconsin and loves her school, but she says that she feels something special about our team and refers to them as our Niners. We are sold on the idea of the team. Can’t wait to buy our season tickets for next year.[/quote]

Wish I saw more of this on this board. I’ll see you there next year!

Our coaches are holding our players back. Poor decisions from coaches directly led to us losing the games to FIU and Rice. There is your Bowl Eligibility.