2017 Recruiting

[quote=“pcon, post:120, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:119, topic:30218”][quote=“2k, post:118, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:117, topic:30218”][quote=“pcon, post:112, topic:30218”]Sherard Sutton Jr from Al Brown (LB) committed. 4.4 speed

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4010732/sherard-sutton[/quote]
Saw him early on in the 2016 season and came away impressed. He has no 247 profile or any recruiting profiles for that matter so not sure if he will just be a walkon or what.[/quote]We offered him a scholarship back in May of 2016:
https://twitter.com/Sherard_09/status/735970433208553472[/quote]
Ok gotcha, was unaware. Who did we beat out for him?[/quote]

That’s a good question. Does anybody know if that 40 time is correct (4.43). I checked and that would of been the fastest for LB at the combine last year and the 3rd fast (ever?) going back to 1999 at least…

https://www.freelapusa.com/fastest-40-yard-dash/

These guy looks good…did we get a diamond in the rough or…[/quote]
Seeing him in person as a junior and senior he did not show 4.4 speed at all. He is probably closer to 4.55-4.6 in reality. Even where I coach some players believe they have 4.3 speed but in reality add .1-.2 to that and you’ll find their real gametime speed.

He’s more in the size of a big safety though. He will have to bulk a little more to play LB in college/pros.

Certainly seems to be under the radar. Don’t know why.

[quote=“pcon, post:120, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:119, topic:30218”][quote=“2k, post:118, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:117, topic:30218”][quote=“pcon, post:112, topic:30218”]Sherard Sutton Jr from Al Brown (LB) committed. 4.4 speed

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4010732/sherard-sutton[/quote]
Saw him early on in the 2016 season and came away impressed. He has no 247 profile or any recruiting profiles for that matter so not sure if he will just be a walkon or what.[/quote]We offered him a scholarship back in May of 2016:
https://twitter.com/Sherard_09/status/735970433208553472[/quote]
Ok gotcha, was unaware. Who did we beat out for him?[/quote]

That’s a good question. Does anybody know if that 40 time is correct (4.43). I checked and that would of been the fastest for LB at the combine last year and the 3rd fast (ever?) going back to 1999 at least…

http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/1646787-linebackers-40-times-at-the-nfl-combine

https://www.freelapusa.com/fastest-40-yard-dash/

These guy looks good…did we get a diamond in the rough or…[/quote]

40 speeds in highschool are as big of a joke in football…as height is for basketball prospects.

He has good speed and was a BEAST for AL Brown this year on D. He and Steven Howie were defensive studs for us this year. Not sure what position he will play but he will definitely contribute as a 49er.

And not sure about him…but alot of guys that end up under the radar are usually because they don’t go to any camps. Some kids just can’t afford to go around to all of the camps that get kids noticed.

Sutton went to several ACC camps. For whatever reason, he appears under recruited. As far as his position at Charlotte, I suggest you read this: https://agent49.net/qa-charlotte-49ers-commit-sherard-sutton/

Been thinking about this lately too. I wish we could recruit better locally too because I believe it gets the local community interested in coming to watch the local kids. However, these recruits have been brainwashed around here just like the average fans have. Everyone around here puts the ACC on a pedestal and considers us nothing more than a back up plan…including many of the kids we recruit.

With that being the case…I think I’d rather us recruit Georgia and Florida harder than here. Why? Because we’ll get better talent since those states don’t have the jaded and biased perception of the school that the locals do.

So maybe we are better off going after better talent in other states…because we have a better chance to LAND the better talent from other states too.

Been thinking about this lately too. I wish we could recruit better locally too because I believe it gets the local community interested in coming to watch the local kids. However, these recruits have been brainwashed around here just like the average fans have. Everyone around here puts the ACC on a pedestal and considers us nothing more than a back up plan…including many of the kids we recruit.

With that being the case…I think I’d rather us recruit Georgia and Florida harder than here. Why? Because we’ll get better talent since those states don’t have the jaded and biased perception of the school that the locals do.

So maybe we are better off going after better talent in other states…because we have a better chance to LAND the better talent from other states too.[/quote]

THIS^ I’d LOVE to have more local talent, and I think we ARE recruiting a lot of kids here, but this is the reality we’re up against. So let’s get talent where ever it is and will come here. Don’t even try to say we’re not trying to get local talent, because we ARE TRYING.

Not a coincidence that our best class ever had the least amount of players from NC. Always love seeing local guys do well, but Florida, California, and Georgia are gold mines.

also get the best talent in, win, and some local kids will begin to change their minds.

This^

So maybe we are better off going after better talent in other states…because we have a better chance to LAND the better talent from other states too.[/quote]

THIS^ I’d LOVE to have more local talent, and I think we ARE recruiting a lot of kids here, but this is the reality we’re up against. So let’s get talent where ever it is and will come here. Don’t even try to say we’re not trying to get local talent, because we ARE TRYING.[/quote]
Can trying be stopping at Mallard Creek and Vance only a small handful of times since Ratliff’s death? I coach at another school, but when Charlotte fails to even recruit those schools so close it sends a message. Just saying. I’m happy with the class, but would love a local pipeline at least a stronger one.

I’m not saying get every 4-5 star there, but heck at least visit the schools and build relationships so coaches at least see you care.
I get the whole win and they will come and they will, like I said I’m just big on recruiting your own state is all. They don’t even seem to be really trying in the Charlotte area to even show they care and coaches take notice. I get not hitting up every school, but heck go grab the backup CB at MC. He’s probably better than 70% of the state.
Just very frustrating as a coach who would love to see more Charlotte talent at Charlotte.

MC sent three players to Miami of Ohio(Ikeem Allen, Tony Reid and Issac Hampton) and Charlotte never even offered them! Two of them start and may very well get drafted and Charlotte didn’t even bother.
You can tell me all you want about taking what we’re given, but come on it’s Miami of Ohio…that’s just a few cases of players going elsewhere who if we had tried we could’ve gotten, not my words but those of a MC asst. coach.

clt asks if it is “cheaper” to offer a NC kid a scholly

[quote=“cltniners, post:133, topic:30218”]clt asks if it is “cheaper” to offer a NC kid a scholly[/quote]yes. Used to be that we could give the in state rate to any athlete, but that changed 4 or 5 years ago.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:132, topic:30218”]MC sent three players to Miami of Ohio(Ikeem Allen, Tony Reid and Issac Hampton) and Charlotte never even offered them! Two of them start and may very well get drafted and Charlotte didn’t even bother.
You can tell me all you want about taking what we’re given, but come on it’s Miami of Ohio…that’s just a few cases of players going elsewhere who if we had tried we could’ve gotten, not my words but those of a MC asst. coach.[/quote]

I know for a fact that we offered Ikeem Allen, possible the other 2 didn’t fit our scheme or the coaching staff may of thought they didn’t fit the team chemistry. There is lots more that goes into recruiting that we don’t see or hear.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:135, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:132, topic:30218”]MC sent three players to Miami of Ohio(Ikeem Allen, Tony Reid and Issac Hampton) and Charlotte never even offered them! Two of them start and may very well get drafted and Charlotte didn’t even bother.
You can tell me all you want about taking what we’re given, but come on it’s Miami of Ohio…that’s just a few cases of players going elsewhere who if we had tried we could’ve gotten, not my words but those of a MC asst. coach.[/quote]

I know for a fact that we offered Ikeem Allen, possible the other 2 didn’t fit our scheme or the coaching staff may of thought they didn’t fit the team chemistry. There is lots more that goes into recruiting that we don’t see or hear.[/quote]

For sure. If they don’t fit, we must quit (recruiting them). :wink:

[quote=“49er1, post:136, topic:30218”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:135, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:132, topic:30218”]MC sent three players to Miami of Ohio(Ikeem Allen, Tony Reid and Issac Hampton) and Charlotte never even offered them! Two of them start and may very well get drafted and Charlotte didn’t even bother.

I know for a fact that we offered Ikeem Allen, possible the other 2 didn’t fit our scheme or the coaching staff may of thought they didn’t fit the team chemistry. There is lots more that goes into recruiting that we don’t see or hear.[/quote]

For sure. If they don’t fit, we must quit (recruiting them). :wink:[/quote]

Baaaazzzzingggg!!!

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:135, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:132, topic:30218”]MC sent three players to Miami of Ohio(Ikeem Allen, Tony Reid and Issac Hampton) and Charlotte never even offered them! Two of them start and may very well get drafted and Charlotte didn’t even bother.

There is a lot we don’t see or hear, but word gets around coaching circles.

Did Jacory Reaves ever sign?

[quote=“mojoniner, post:139, topic:30218”]Did Jacory Reaves ever sign?[/quote]Nope.