2017 Recruiting

Exactly. I don’t have any information other than what I read here, but it appears at minimum the perception is that we are not as engaged as we should be with local kids. If we want to excel long term, that has got to change.

One of the best parts about a great day when I rode the bus to the Georgia State game was someone behind me that was friends with KP was talking about his recruitment, and how Ratliff was there every day (to the point where sometimes KP would try to hide from him). It is more important for us to exploit our local talent than schools with a massive recruiting budget. It is much easier (and cheaper) to have that kind of relationship with a recruit 20 minutes from campus instead of a plane ride away. We are also more likely to land people of Washington or LeMay’s caliber if they are local, and having a good relationship with their high school coaches doesn’t hurt.

Hopefully Henry can get us back on the right track here, if we can add some more local guys to what we were able to accomplish this year, then watch out moving forward.[/quote]

A lot of talent in the Charlotte and the Triad areas. Plus if you get local talent there is a better chance of getting more fans in the seats and more interest in the school/program. But nothing wrong with still hitting Virginia down to Florida, just have someone to really stay engaged in this area.[/quote]
Bingo! That’s what I’ve been saying, don’t ignore FL, VA, SC or other states, but do put some more emphasis on NC.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Look at how Houston built it’s talent. They recruited 90 percent in or around the Houston area. Charlotte is not Houston but if we recruited and grabbed 75 percent of the talent in this area we would be in better shape then we are now.[/quote]

First of all…yes we do have a better chance of getting a stud from Fl over a stud from NC. Why? Because all local studs here want to go UNC, State, ECU, Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia…before considering us. 2nd of all…Florida is so talent heavy…the 50th stud in Florida is more talented than the 10th stud in NC…but the 10th stud in NC won’t even consider us. Why waste time on that? It will take YEARS to change that local perception. So…in the meantime…if we can get just as talented kids from elsewhere…so be it.[/quote]

Sure whatever you want to believe. I will check back on your stance once we’re 5 and whatever this year. Remember the 10th stud as you would say in this area produced studs like Jaire Alexander of Louisville and Adonis Alexander of Virginia Tech. Getting Henry is a start but is very small in the big picture. Getting a D2 coach from Catawba will note cure the growing problem. A wise man told me where it’s smoke it’s fire. We can recruit VA, GA, FL where ever I’m just saying whenever we got talent going to GA State, Buffalo, Colorado State, ect that’s a area of need that’s right here in the back yard waiting for us to pluck them that’s a problem. If you’re going to lose at least lose with local talent while building relationships with area coaches. At least we will have the in just in case we can steal away a stud every now and again in the future.

Yes Florida is talent heavy but so is our own backyard. Yes Florida has talent and they also have a lot of colleges to get through to find that talent. We not beating Florida, Miami or Florida State out for the top tier talent. Ok let’s look at the 2nd or 3rd tier you not beating USF or UCF out or Florida Atlantic now with Kiffin. Those that do decide to leave is going else where. We at Charlotte are trying to recruit like we have a winning program. Build up in your own backyard with some under recruited GA, FL, VA prospects now we’re talking. Under recruiting your area while not building relationships with HS coaches in your area is not a wise no matter how you spin it. Let’s continue to recruit the 50th stud in FL over local talent and see how that turns out for us.

[quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Look at how Houston built it’s talent. They recruited 90 percent in or around the Houston area. Charlotte is not Houston but if we recruited and grabbed 75 percent of the talent in this area we would be in better shape then we are now.[/quote]

First of all…yes we do have a better chance of getting a stud from Fl over a stud from NC. Why? Because all local studs here want to go UNC, State, ECU, Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia…before considering us. 2nd of all…Florida is so talent heavy…the 50th stud in Florida is more talented than the 10th stud in NC…but the 10th stud in NC won’t even consider us. Why waste time on that? It will take YEARS to change that local perception. So…in the meantime…if we can get just as talented kids from elsewhere…so be it.[/quote]

Sure whatever you want to believe. I will check back on your stance once we’re 5 and whatever this year. Remember the 10th stud as you would say in this area produced studs like Jaire Alexander of Louisville and Adonis Alexander of Virginia Tech. Getting Henry is a start but is very small in the big picture. Getting a D2 coach from Catawba will note cure the growing problem. A wise man told me where it’s smoke it’s fire. We can recruit VA, GA, FL where ever I’m just saying whenever we got talent going to GA State, Buffalo, Colorado State, ect that’s a area of need that’s right here in the back yard waiting for us to pluck them that’s a problem. If you’re going to lose at least lose with local talent while building relationships with area coaches. At least we will have the in just in case we can steal away a stud every now and again in the future.

Yes Florida is talent heavy but so is our own backyard. Yes Florida has talent and they also have a lot of colleges to get through to find that talent. We not beating Florida, Miami or Florida State out for the top tier talent. Ok let’s look at the 2nd or 3rd tier you not beating USF or UCF out or Florida Atlantic now with Kiffin. Those that do decide to leave is going else where. We at Charlotte are trying to recruit like we have a winning program. Build up in your own backyard with some under recruited GA, FL, VA prospects now we’re talking. Under recruiting your area while not building relationships with HS coaches in your area is not a wise no matter how you spin it. Let’s continue to recruit the 50th stud in FL over local talent and see how that turns out for us. Hopefully I’m wrong on this.[/quote]

We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

The talent gap between FL and NC, both raw and on a per capita basis is huge. There is a reason every school wants to have ties in FL. They had like 350+ 3 star HS players last year.

[quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Sure whatever you want to believe. I will check back on your stance once we’re 5 and whatever this year. [size=2]Remember the 10th stud as you would say in this area produced studs like Jaire Alexander of Louisville[/size] and Adonis Alexander of Virginia Tech. Getting Henry is a start but is very small in the big picture. Getting a D2 coach from Catawba will note cure the growing problem. A wise man told me where it’s smoke it’s fire. We can recruit VA, GA, FL where ever I’m just saying whenever we got talent going to GA State, Buffalo, Colorado State, ect that’s a area of need that’s right here in the back yard waiting for us to pluck them that’s a problem. If you’re going to lose at least lose with local talent while building relationships with area coaches. At least we will have the in just in case we can steal away a stud every now and again in the future.

Yes Florida is talent heavy but so is our own backyard. Yes Florida has talent and they also have a lot of colleges to get through to find that talent. We not beating Florida, Miami or Florida State out for the top tier talent. Ok let’s look at the 2nd or 3rd tier you not beating USF or UCF out or Florida Atlantic now with Kiffin. Those that do decide to leave is going else where. We at Charlotte are trying to recruit like we have a winning program. Build up in your own backyard with some under recruited GA, FL, VA prospects now we’re talking. Under recruiting your area while not building relationships with HS coaches in your area is not a wise no matter how you spin it. Let’s continue to recruit the 50th stud in FL over local talent and see how that turns out for us.[/quote]
And the 10th local stud in Charlotte will leave us for an ACC school close to signing day just like Jaire did, you’re not helping your point here.

[quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Sure whatever you want to believe. I will check back on your stance once we’re 5 and whatever this year. [size=2]Remember the 10th stud as you would say in this area produced studs like Jaire Alexander of Louisville[/size] and Adonis Alexander of Virginia Tech. Getting Henry is a start but is very small in the big picture. Getting a D2 coach from Catawba will note cure the growing problem. A wise man told me where it’s smoke it’s fire. We can recruit VA, GA, FL where ever I’m just saying whenever we got talent going to GA State, Buffalo, Colorado State, ect that’s a area of need that’s right here in the back yard waiting for us to pluck them that’s a problem. If you’re going to lose at least lose with local talent while building relationships with area coaches. At least we will have the in just in case we can steal away a stud every now and again in the future.

Yes Florida is talent heavy but so is our own backyard. Yes Florida has talent and they also have a lot of colleges to get through to find that talent. We not beating Florida, Miami or Florida State out for the top tier talent. Ok let’s look at the 2nd or 3rd tier you not beating USF or UCF out or Florida Atlantic now with Kiffin. Those that do decide to leave is going else where. We at Charlotte are trying to recruit like we have a winning program. Build up in your own backyard with some under recruited GA, FL, VA prospects now we’re talking. Under recruiting your area while not building relationships with HS coaches in your area is not a wise no matter how you spin it. Let’s continue to recruit the 50th stud in FL over local talent and see how that turns out for us.[/quote]
And the 10th local stud in Charlotte will leave us for an ACC school close to signing day just like Jaire did, you’re not helping your point here.[/quote]
Not always the case. I’ve talked with fellow coaches around the city and several at MC said to my face that a lot of their 3 and 4 stars would love to come here. Their families cannot afford to travel far to see them play, they don’t exactly wanna go far away. Yet we fail to recruit them or show any interest. I know of one 4 star MC player who would love to be here, but coaches have yet to offer him…

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:166, topic:30218”][quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

And the 10th local stud in Charlotte will leave us for an ACC school close to signing day just like Jaire did, you’re not helping your point here.[/quote]
Not always the case. I’ve talked with fellow coaches around the city and several at MC said to my face that a lot of their 3 and 4 stars would love to come here. Their families cannot afford to travel far to see them play, they don’t exactly wanna go far away. Yet we fail to recruit them or show any interest. I know of one 4 star MC player who would love to be here, but coaches have yet to offer him…[/quote]OK,then tell the coaches. That’s information they’d love to know.

The players family can also submit information to the coaches to express interest. There is a link on every college athletics site for this.

Recruiting is a two way street. Both recruits and coaches can put in effort. You don’t have to wait on coaches to find you.

[quote=“Niner National, post:167, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:166, topic:30218”][quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Not always the case. I’ve talked with fellow coaches around the city and several at MC said to my face that a lot of their 3 and 4 stars would love to come here. Their families cannot afford to travel far to see them play, they don’t exactly wanna go far away. Yet we fail to recruit them or show any interest. I know of one 4 star MC player who would love to be here, but coaches have yet to offer him…[/quote]OK,then tell the coaches. That’s information they’d love to know.

The players family can also submit information to the coaches to express interest. There is a link on every college athletics site for this.

Recruiting is a two way street. Both recruits and coaches can put in effort. You don’t have to wait on coaches to find you.[/quote]
Trust me coaches know now. Also if you’re a 4 star recruit and you have big programs coming after you, sorry but you arent going to Charlotte, they’re gonna have to come to you. I can understand a 1-2 star and maybe even some 3 stars, but 4-5 stars will not be emailing coaches to get looks.

clt says to sneak into their dms on chatface and let them know that the players want to visit us.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:168, topic:30218”][quote=“Niner National, post:167, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:166, topic:30218”][quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Recruiting is a two way street. Both recruits and coaches can put in effort. You don’t have to wait on coaches to find you.[/quote]
Trust me coaches know now. Also if you’re a 4 star recruit and you have big programs coming after you, sorry but you arent going to Charlotte, they’re gonna have to come to you. I can understand a 1-2 star and maybe even some 3 stars, but 4-5 stars will not be emailing coaches to get looks.[/quote]I agree we shouldn’t wait on good players to come to us, I was just speaking specifically about the one guy that wants to come here that you know.

[quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

The talent gap between FL and NC, both raw and on a per capita basis is huge. There is a reason every school wants to have ties in FL. They had like 350+ 3 star HS players last year.[/quote]

Here are the numbers from 2016:

83 FBS players in a state with 7 FBS schools.

I would love to get as many local guys as possible but the numbers aren’t significant enough for us to use a ton of valuable recruiting time in the local schools. Who cares if a 1.5 star kid from Mallard Creek goes to Miami OH or Ball State, we are trying to build something bigger than a meddling MAC team.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:171, topic:30218”][quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

The talent gap between FL and NC, both raw and on a per capita basis is huge. There is a reason every school wants to have ties in FL. They had like 350+ 3 star HS players last year.[/quote]

I would love to get as many local guys as possible but the numbers aren’t significant enough for us to use a ton of valuable recruiting time in the local schools. Who cares if a 1.5 star kid from Mallard Creek goes to Miami OH or Ball State, we are trying to build something bigger than a meddling MAC team.[/quote]
Currently Miami oh Ohio I don’t think is a better program than we are and players from Mallard Creek are heading there and having some pretty good success.
Direct statement from MC asst coach to me: "Miami of Ohio recruiting coordinator called us to ask if Charlotte had offered any of the MC players who attended junior day. Said no, coach replied with ‘They are morons!!’"
All that needed to be said for me. Hopefully the new recruiting coordinator realizes the value of establishing a relationship with a school who has put I think close to 60 kids into D1 ball since around 2011-2012.
For those wondering, no I do not coach at MC, I’m 0-2 vs the Creek Boys on the field, but I cannot fathom how Charlotte refuses to establish a strong relationship with the best team in Charlotte 10 minutes away from campus.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:172, topic:30218”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:171, topic:30218”][quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

Sykes was our relationship there, he left. It’s clearly a school we need to hound.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/which-states-produced-the-most-class-of-2016-fbs-college-football-players

I would love to get as many local guys as possible but the numbers aren’t significant enough for us to use a ton of valuable recruiting time in the local schools. Who cares if a 1.5 star kid from Mallard Creek goes to Miami OH or Ball State, we are trying to build something bigger than a meddling MAC team.[/quote]
Currently Miami oh Ohio I don’t think is a better program than we are and players from Mallard Creek are heading there and having some pretty good success.
Direct statement from MC asst coach to me: "Miami of Ohio recruiting coordinator called us to ask if Charlotte had offered any of the MC players who attended junior day. Said no, coach replied with ‘They are morons!!’"
All that needed to be said for me. Hopefully the new recruiting coordinator realizes the value of establishing a relationship with a school who has put I think close to 60 kids into D1 ball since around 2011-2012.
For those wondering, no I do not coach at MC, I’m 0-2 vs the Creek Boys on the field, but I cannot fathom how Charlotte refuses to establish a strong relationship with the best team in Charlotte 10 minutes away from campus.[/quote]

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:172, topic:30218”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:171, topic:30218”][quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

For those wondering, no I do not coach at MC, I’m 0-2 vs the Creek Boys on the field, but I cannot fathom how Charlotte refuses to establish a strong relationship with the best team in Charlotte 10 minutes away from campus.[/quote]

Maybe the best argument for recruiting the local schools is–why not? There are only so many Friday nights during recruiting season and coaches need to be out looking at their targets, but practice is every day and I assume our coaches would be welcome to stop by any time to watch and meet people. It is a 10 minute drive.

[quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

My Jaire reference was to point out the 10th local stud reference. Slice it however you like but us not recruiting our own backyard is growing. Rather that’s real or fake. It’s starting to become the perception. I would rather lose with local talent than continue to burn bridges in my own backyard. As I mention in a previous post we will be all crying foul if this staff is oust. It will take years to recover.

[quote=“Niner National, post:167, topic:30218”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:166, topic:30218”][quote=“JB, post:165, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:162, topic:30218”][quote=“TRLeader, post:149, topic:30218”][quote=“Becky Jones, post:148, topic:30218”]…let’s be realistic here what’s the chances of us really landing a stud in FL.

Our coaches get paid to recruit the area not the other way around on your two way street. The fade has been us offering late in the game after a player has already received love else where. It’s like we need someone else to confirm that the local talent is good before we offer. Yes with that approach they will not come to us. In most cases when we get on a kid early we typically land them. Dollar is a case in point.

[quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

Let’s keep under recruiting our own backyard and recruit FL. Let’s see how this turns out for us.

[quote=“Becky Jones, post:177, topic:30218”][quote=“Niner National, post:164, topic:30218”]We have two, maybe three guys that will be on NFL rosters next year from local schools. Don’t think local high school coaches don’t know that.

Let’s keep under recruiting our own backyard and recruit FL. Let’s see how this turns out for us.[/quote]Or, lets see how things shake out with a new Recruiting Coordinator and some new assistants on the trail, along with our other guys.

I feel like we have been in transition for the last year or so.

We seemed to have shored that up. Let’s bag some Charlotte recruits without giving up Florida.

And if you know of someone who is a four star recruit who is dying to come here, let someone know, whether on the board or someone on the coaching staff.

2018 DE Kane Knows Charlotte Pretty Well

https://charlotte.rivals.com/news/2018-de-kane-know-charlotte-pretty-well