2018 Baseball Thread

This is awesome! Great exposure for Univ being connected to uptown now. This sounds like an idea Hill came up with.

Got a free single if anyone wants/needs, 108 Row N, Seat 14. Just shoot me a message before 4:30. The Signs say this is going to be a Golden night for the Niners.

Took one on the chin last night 14-2.

Their starter looked good, and we didn’t have much for him. Gooding pitched ok, but definitely his worst start of his brief 49er career. 1st 2 guys out of the pen got hammered. Speaking of hammered, it was good seeing some of you badfans out at the ballpark last night.:sunglasses:

Good thing is we have most of our regular arms ready to go for this weekend vs UAB. Pinkney left with what looked like a leg injury late last night, so I wouldn’t expect to see him this weekend. Gotta have at least 2 this weekend.

When we pulled a pitcher who was doing well, nearby CHeat fans inquired as to why we were doing that. I had to explain that getting ready for our weekend series was more important than doing well against them. Dumbasses could not comprehend.

BTW, the new picture of me the mods picked out is not accurate. I’m not nearly that good looking.

Ha! I picked that out. Feel free to change if you’d like.

clt says our players have to go to class.

Nice game for the baseball team tonight, won 7-1.

Josh had a really nice game, 1 run on 5 hits through 8 1/3.

Yett had 3 hits, including a bomb to continue to lead the league in hitting.

Good weekend to support them if you have the chance, 5:00 Friday, 1:00 Saturday.

1 Like

Not a good week for the Niners. 1-3 on the week and lost a C-USA series to UAB.

Biggest hole that needs filling is our #2 Starter. Bruce got the start over Brooks this weekend, and that didn’t work out at all. I’m thinking we will slide Cooner up to the #2 spot and keep tinkering with the #3 spot. We really need Brooks to be the guy, but he’s struggled this year. I’d like to see Gooding get a shot. He’s looked pretty good overall, mostly in mid-week starts.

Yeah, was really expecting a lot more from Brooks this year - thought he was going to be one we could count on. Hasn’t happened yet.

Lost 2-0 at UNCG last night.

Good news: Our mid-week pitching looked great. Pinkney got his 1st start, allowed 2 runs on 3 hits over 3 innings, Gooding pitched 3 hitless innings, Horkey 2 shutout innings.

Bad News: We only got 3 hits. Bats have gone cold.

We are at the top or near the top of most batting categories for C-USA, so hopefully this is just a minor slump. The next 2 weeks could get rough at FAU and at LaTech, if the bats don’t break out.

In other news, minor league assignments have come out.
Brett Netzer will be in High A Salem for the Red Sox in the Carolina League.
TJ Nichting and Zach Jarrett will once again be teammates in Low A Delmarva in the Sally League for the Orioles.
Colton Laws hasn’t been assigned yet. He may be in the Blue Jays extended Spring Training until a spot in the rotation opens up in Lansing or Dunedin.

1 Like

Baseball really in a funk right now. Lost 5 straight to drop to .500. Not looking like a good year - hope they snap out of it. Lost in 11 innings to a good team. On the up -side, I thought Matt Brooks finally pitched a good game. Been waiting for that all year.

Thought we were going to be able to steal that one when rallied in the 8th, hope we can end the slide tomorrow.

Oh and Shadow wants me to post she is very disappointed in the decision to do Bark at The Park on the same day as the Spring Game. She won’t be able to howl for the Niners this year due to this.

Lost again in crap-tastic fashion - up 5-1 and managed to lose 6-5, leaving another runner on 3rd and striking out to end the top of the 9th. I think we may lead the NCAA with runners stranded on 3rd. We’re getting pretty good at losing. I also think we have trouble turning double plays - maybe our short stop needs to charge the ball more?

Yep, FIVE errors didn’t help our cause. We’re on such a fine line between winning and losing, we can’t afford fundamental mistakes.

Also Elwood (our last batter of the game) got hit in the foot and the ump told him to stay in the box. This would have loaded the bases with top of the order coming up. One of their guys got three HBP today!

With the guys we lost last season, I’d never think that our biggest drop off from last year would be our defense. We went from leading the league in defense the past 2 years to a middle of the pack team. They are mixing and matching trying to find someone to step up at several spots. We’ve had some defensive liabilities out in the field this year, and you just hope they make up for it at the plate. Some guys aren’t producing offensively or defensively.

Walk off 3-2 win on Tuesday this week over Charleston Southern. The bats are still struggling, but our mid-week pitching looked really good again.

We are at LaTech this weekend. They are tied for 1st in C-USA and ranked in the Top 25 in some polls. It’s gonna be tough, but hopefully we can find a way to get 2 this weekend.

The schedule eases up a little bit after this, so that’s something to look forward to.

2 Likes

Shout out to the team for a big doubleheader sweep at La Tech today. Scored nine and six against pitching that came into the games leading the country for lowest ERA.

1 Like

They were in a funk, and I think the walk off win was the catalyst they needed to get back on track. I’ve enjoyed watching these last 3 games.

Nice series win over Top 25 LaTech this weekend. RPI is up t o 109 now.

Halfway through the C-USA season and we are sitting at 6th. The toughest part of our schedule is now behind us, so hopefully we can rack up some wins on down the stretch and make a run. We are home for ODU, WKU, and Marshall , on the road at Rice and @ UTSA the rest of the way.

Big series vs ODU at home this weekend. They always seem to have our number in every sport. Swing by the Hayes before the Spring Game this weekend and support these guys.

1 Like

Great to see them get the win down in Ruston. Let’s hope this gives them some momentum moving forward.