2018 Baseball Thread

This is awesome news!! I’d love to see a permanant beer garden down the 3rd base line. ODU put some money into theirs prior to this season and it looks really nice. I don’t think we need that much of an investment, but if we put a little money into it, it would really enhance the stadium atmposhpere.

1 Like

Still can’t believe this.

https://twitter.com/NCAACWS/status/991369918137487360

Good to watch it again. Sunday was my daughter’s dance recital day. I was at home watching the game and saw the first run score. I thought to myself “Nice, but too little too late”. I looked down at the clock and noticed I was late and had to scramble out the door. Intermission of the recital I am able to get my phone out for the first time in an hour and 1/2 and check the score. Nearly had a heart attack of joy. Came home and queued up the top of the 9th inning and the whole family watched it together , including the in-laws. Great day. Like the fight in this team. Not our best team, but there’s something about these guys…

2 Likes

In addition to Norm’s Tavern being open at the Hayes this weekend, there are lots of other promos. Sanchez is throwing out the 1st pitch on Friday. I knew we’d see him out there at some point since he’s said that he and his son were huge baseball fans.

1 Like

[quote=“Mr_Bojangles, post:244, topic:31111, full:true”]
In addition to Norm’s Tavern being open at the Hayes this weekend, there are lots of other promos. Sanchez is throwing out the 1st pitch on Friday. I knew we’d see him out there at some point since he’s said that he and his son were huge baseball fans.

[/quote] $1 hot dogs & beer!!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/shorebirds/status/992488796330647553

https://www.milb.com/delmarva/news/jarrett-lowther-win-orioles-minor-leaguers-of-month/c-275230580

1 Like

clt says Jarrett is certainly picking up the pace. He seems to be in the pole position to move up. Hopefully he has the horsepower.

Took 2 of 3 from WKU this weekend. Currently sitting in 4th in the conference with a 0.5 game lead on UTSA. A sweep would have been really nice but we fell just a little short on another Sunday comeback.

No midweek game this week with the exams going on, and Marshall comes in this weekend. We really need a sweep to hold on to the 4th spot. UTSA plays ODU. The following weekend we travel to UTSA to finish teh regular season.

I hope Jackson Mims gets back on track. He had a bad weekend at the plate and in the field. Although he did have a really nice catch I think on Sunday reaching over the fence to get an important out.

I first thought you were talking about the outfield fence. Now, that would be a hell of a play. (It was the fence down the line in foul ground)

Ober had a home run saving over the fence catch on Friday night.

Yes, sorry, I meant left field line near the bull pen.

Ober’s catch was great as was Reese Hampton’s near the 390 ft. sign in center.

Just received e-mail announcing a change to Norm’s Tavern going forward. People now allowed to bring young children with them so as not to leave the little tykes unattended. E-mail begins with “due to fan feedback”. What a concept!

They need to advertise the tavern better at the game. It’s hidden behind the stands and I saw nobody visiting it last Saturday.

Needs to be on the baseline. Maybe that’s an improvement we can make in future seasons.

I’d go to way more baseball games if I could sit in the shade and have a beer.

There’s lots of space for something like this down the 3rd base line. The spot behind the visiting dugout would require builiding a deck or something and adding some protective netting because the ground is too low there to see the game.

Furthur down the line, they could fence in the grass area and add some tables, tents, and barstools. Currently someone has placed bleachers down there and students will sit out there and watch the game while enjoying some beverages. Take the tarp down, raise the fencing a little, and make it part of the stadium. Great spot to heckle the other team and their bullpen.

Too late for a rooftop section on top of the new indoor facility? That’d be unique.

Probably not feasible with the slope on the roof. Would be a good view of the game though!!

What kind of impact will the indoor hitting facility have to line of sight down the right field from the seats. I assume that limits expansion in that direction.

It may make it harder to see some balls down the line in the RF corner from the lower seats on the 1B side. I don’t think it would be too much more of an obstructed view than what was there before with the cages they had. The indoor facility will be further down the line, where the bullpen was last year.

You can see the footprint in this photo from last weekend, where they have the site cleared for construction.

I think those bleachers have been removed per Hibbs instructions. There was an incident after the game last Friday involving “conversation” between bleacher bums and opposing players exiting their losing dugout.