2018 Baseball Thread

Unfortunately, we need to add this to the ongoing name confusion log…

MLB had it " UNC Charlotte" on the draft board.

12 345 – Hampton, Reece UNC Charlotte (NC) CF S/R 4YR JR – 5’ 10 170lbs DOB: 07/19/96

1 Like

Yeah, MLB even used “UNC Chapel Hill” when a player from that ‘school’ was drafted.

Unfortunately for him all but one of the picks in front of him have the same leverage. Good thing is the first 10 rounds are capped but if they don’t use all that money they can use on later picks.

Either way it will be hard to turn down a six figure bonus to come back.

Good luck to him and Josh and any other guys we have drafted that decide to sign.

clt says send that to hill.

Mike Hill is #aware

3 Likes

Mims and Yett being back feels like a very good thing for us

1 Like

Any of our new recruits get drafted?

Yes, we came out of the Draft in pretty good shape this year. We lose Reece early, but have Mims and Yett back. None of our HS guys got picked up.

Unless something crazy happens, we should be in really good shape for next year. We’ll have 4 Seniors in the line-up, with 7 starters returning in the order. Pitching wise, we lose our ace and some bullpen depth. There will be lots of competition in the fall, which is always a good thing.

Way off topic, but it’s absurd how few scholarships baseball gets. This is an NCAA thing, not a Charlotte thing.

Agreed NLP. 11.7 scholarships to split among 35 roster spots. Actually I think they limit it so that the 11.7 can only be split among 27 of the players. 35 is the max roster size.

From the student-athlete perspective, they definitely deserve more than 11.7 scholarships. From this side of things I worry about what would happen to the competitive balance of college baseball if you gave the P5 (particularly the SEC) additional scholarships.

Don’t you feel like awarding partial scholarships to players encourages them to play in-state, where they can get cheaper tuition? I think that probably works in our favor when you look at some states because of the talent in NC, plus our (relatively) inexpensive in-state schools. A kid in Shelby, NC is going to have to spend a lot less to go to Charlotte than to Wofford–at least in theory.

There is some truth to that. Another factor in the equation is that college baseball players tend to come from fairly affluent families. By the time they reach college, tens of thousands of dollars have been spent on travel ball, camps, etc. The amount of money spent on travel ball is crazy. All that is to say that the money spent on tuition is just another sunken cost to the parents. Another thing that amazes me is the travel that baseball families do. There is not a visiting team that comes to campus that does not bring “fans” with them in the form of family members. Likewise, our parents are at every road series. Huge outlays involved.

1 Like

Zach Jarrett and Delmarva Shorebirds are in Kannapolis this week for 6 games in 4 days vs the Intimidators.

Some updates on TJ and Netzer.

https://baltimoresportsnut.blogspot.com/2018/06/since-promotion-to-high-of-tj-nichting.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/baseball/red-sox-report-netzer-heating-up-at-plate/article_f6081557-2cab-5fa6-973c-91ebd77acd26.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

1 Like

Reece signed with the Tigers last night, sporting his Niner gear. I’m guessing he’ll start out with the Connectiut Tigers in a few days in the NY-Penn League. Probably down in Florida at their Spring Training facility for a few days.

4 Likes

New Rice baseball coach. Looks like a great hire. Wonder how much they are paying him?

https://www.chron.com/sports/rice/article/Source-Rice-hires-Matt-Bragga-next-baseball-coach-12998505.php

Rice is a private school so we likely won’t be able to get the contract details, but I would guess he’s getting over $200,000. I think ODU’s coach was the highest paid in C-USA making $181,000 the last time I could find data. That was from 2015.

1 Like

Zach Jarrett will be playing in the SAL All Star Game tomorrow night in Greensboro if anyone is interested. He’s had a really good 1st half along with all the rest of our pro guys.

Feature on Zach airing tonight on NBS Sports Network.

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1008732401592406016

1 Like