2018 Baseball Thread

Netzer, Jarrett and Nichting have all had outstanding first halfs, each of them hitting over .300. Laws has been inconsistent as hell, some days effectively shutting down the opposition and other days getting hit pretty good. Control doesn’t seem to be an issue though because I don’t see him issuing a lot of walks. Hopefully it’s just related to on-going recovery from injury.

All in all though, we haven’t had this many guys doing this well in the minors in a long time.

4 Likes

Laws has been pretty good in his last 3 starts leading up to the AS break. 2 of those he gave up 0 runs over 5 IP. I hope he can keep it up and impress during the 2nd half.

Reece played in his 1st game as a pro today down in the Gulf Coast League. He played RF, was 0-1 with 4 walks, scored 3 runs including the game winner.

Josh is supposedly down in the GCL too. I can see the Yankees limiting his work since he pitched so many innings for us this year.

1 Like

Reece is now hitting a cool .438 and slugging up in the .600 range in rookie ball. I’d say his work there is done.

3 Likes

Down to .378. Went 0-5 yesterday.

I think Reece may have been promoted to the Connecticut Tigers last night.

Former Niners hitting Coach (and native Charlottean) Mike Shildt is now the interim Manager of the St Louis Cardinals.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-it-s-an-open-audition-for-shildt-on-the/article_1509cf5c-2de3-5acf-8973-99610fca48bf.html

1 Like

Good story on 49er Eric Lansinger overcoming Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

2 Likes

Nice article on Brett Netzer and his teammate from FAU CJ Chatham coming up through the Red Sox Organization.

Should be interesting to see what Boston does at 2B over the next year or so with Pedroia’s health issues. They traded for Kinsler as a rental this year (then he got hurt). You gotta think that if things work out right, Netzer could be in Double A next year and have a shot at the bigs the following year. He played in 5 spring training games with the big league Sox this spring. I hope he gets a shot.