2018 Baseball Thread

[quote=“ninerJ, post:119, topic:31111”]Hunter Jones defense has been less than stellar so far.
Expected big things from him being a Senior.[/quote]

Yes. That 8th inning error likely cost us the game. A clean play likely turns 2 and ends the inning with us up 6-5. Instead they tie it on the play and still have only 1 out. Then, proceed to add 3 more. :’(

[quote=“919R, post:121, topic:31111”][quote=“ninerJ, post:119, topic:31111”]Hunter Jones defense has been less than stellar so far.

Yes. That 8th inning error likely cost us the game. A clean play likely turns 2 and ends the inning with us up 6-5. Instead they tie it on the play and still have only 1 out. Then, proceed to add 3 more. :’([/quote]

Walks were just as costly but you can’t beat top 25 teams with subpar play at shortstop. There is no reason State should’ve scored two on the slow hit ball up the middle that got through him and like you said the one hop liner would’ve been an inning ending double play had he not booted. Shame on State’s official scorer for not giving him an error on either play.

[quote=“mightymitchfan, post:122, topic:31111”][quote=“919R, post:121, topic:31111”][quote=“ninerJ, post:119, topic:31111”]Hunter Jones defense has been less than stellar so far.

Yes. That 8th inning error likely cost us the game. A clean play likely turns 2 and ends the inning with us up 6-5. Instead they tie it on the play and still have only 1 out. Then, proceed to add 3 more. :’([/quote]

Walks were just as costly but you can’t beat top 25 teams with subpar play at shortstop. There is no reason State should’ve scored two on the slow hit ball up the middle that got through him and like you said the one hop liner would’ve been an inning ending double play had he not booted. Shame on State’s official scorer for not giving him an error on either play.[/quote]

Yep. We had 8 walks last night. Cooner had 4 of those but was able to work around them. The 4 walks from the bullpen came at terrible times and cost us dearly. Add in a booted DP ball and it costs you a game.

Not to pile on but…
2 starters are a combine 2 for 28 at the plate so far. And in my opinion Iona was average at best on the mound last weekend.

I’m sure there are guys dying to get a shot that can do better than 1/16 at DH

Not time to panic but let’s see what a few other guys can do.

Or at least get a little experience for them at the end of a 10-3 game that is for all intense purposes over.

Hibbs is going to need more than the 8 guys that he’s used so far…

Just my 2 cents…

[quote=“BigE3, post:124, topic:31111”]Not to pile on but…
2 starters are a combine 2 for 28 at the plate so far. And in my opinion Iona was average at best on the mound last weekend.

Or at least get a little experience for them at the end of a 10-3 game that is for all intense purposes over.

Just my 2 cents…[/quote]

I like the fact that we’ve got some options this season. I’m wondering if Ober is trying to shake off some rust after his injury. It will be interesting to see how these new guys get worked in as the season progresses.

[quote=“BigE3, post:124, topic:31111”]Not to pile on but…

Just my 2 cents…[/quote] Intents and purposes.

Series at Georgia this weekend. Games tonight at 5:00 and Double header tomorrow starting at 1:00. All games on the SEC network ESPN app.

Same starting rotation as last weekend with Brooks, Maciejewski, and Patten.

UGa has made some strides since we split the 2 game series with them in 2016. They threw lots of young guys into the mix right away and now those same guys are upperclassmen. Should be a good measuring stick of where we are early in the season.

Rough weekend. Niners were swept at UGa.

Game 1 Brooks had a rough start, gave up 10 runs in the first 3 innings. We never recovered losing 12-2.

Game 2 we bounced back and jumped on them early and had a lead most of the game. Maciejewski pitched another gem battling through leg cramps only allowing 2 ER through 7. Unfortunately we had to go to the pen and our 4-3 lead evaporated. Lost 6-4.

Game 3, Patten was roughed up a little bit, but he hurt himself with walks. It was 7-0 before we got our bats going. Battled back and chipped away at the lead in the late innings. Had the bases loaded in the 9th with the go ahead run at the plate, but couldn’t get anything home. Lost 10-7.

Overall, the normally solid Niners defense was pretty poor in key situations this past week. 10 errors on the week. With the exception of Macijewski, most of our pitchers struggled with walks this week, and I think every Georgia batter we walked scored on us.

On the offensive end, we didn’t have any trouble getting guys on base, we just couldn’t get them across the plate. Stranded 26 base runners this weekend.

This week, we are at Charleston Southern on Wednesday and we host Sienna for 4 this weekend. CSU beat South Carolina yesterday but lost the series 2-1. Sienna is 0-7 and opened the season at defending champion Florida.

Also of note from the weekend. 49er TJ Nichting got some playing time with the Orioles big league club at Spring Training.

Had 2 hits in 3 ABs over 2 games including this RBI Double.

[size=2]
https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/nichtings-rbi-double/c-1876298683?tid=8879234
[/size]

Series at UGA is so hard to describe. I played that stadium. It’s chaos in stands and on field. SEC Umps rail you every call. Drunks talking about your mom. The visitor bullpen mound will be different pitch than game and throws you out of wack with 5000 people yelling at you. You start pressing and mistakes snowball. If you’re not used to it, the stage fright is real. No out of conf team wins more than 1 game.

Don’t look at their 2017 schedule. You will be disappointed about your last statement.

Don’t look at their 2017 schedule. You will be disappointed about your last statement.[/quote]
On a plane to Salt Lake City. I’ll Take your word for it rook

Don’t look at their 2017 schedule. You will be disappointed about your last statement.[/quote]
On a plane to Salt Lake City. I’ll Take your word for it rook[/quote]

I don’t want to make excuses for the guys. I think we were a little overmatched is all. Especially on Friday. That was the most physical team we’ve faced in the last 2 years with the only exception being Southern Miss last year. Maybe WF last season with their offense.

Our margin for error is slim against teams like this and we walked guys and made errors at the worst possible times.

We talk baseball, of course, but we start out by talking about Ron/Over40 in the opening minutes.

[size=2]Niners snapped the losing streak with a big 14-3 Win at Charleston Southern. [/size]

[size=2]A solid start from Colby Bruce going 5 strong innings. [font=Verdana]Only 1 ER allowed, Bullpen allowed 0 ER.[/font][/size]

[size=2]Everybody hit. Glad to see some guys that have been struggling get it going last night like Ober (HR & 4 RBI), Smith (3 RBI), Cammarata (2-4, 2 R), and Hunter Jones ( 2-4 ,3 RBI). Yett and Mims also went deep. Bullock has a hit in every game of his 49er career so far (8 games). Mims and Yett also have hit safely in every game so far in 2018.[/size]

[size=2]Also, Brett Netzer got to play for the big league Red Sox club yesterday down in Spring Training. Had the game winning RBI double!! Here is the story:[/size]

[size=2]Brett Netzer, Boston Red Sox prospect, delivers game-winning hit for dad with colon cancer who was here watching[/size]
[size=2]http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/02/boston_red_sox_prospect_brett.html[/size]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:135, topic:31111”][size=1em]Niners snapped the losing streak with a big 14-3 Win at Charleston Southern. [/size]

[size=1em]A solid start from Colby Bruce going 5 strong innings. [font=verdana]Only 1 ER allowed, Bullpen allowed 0 ER.[/font][/size]

[size=1em]Everybody hit. Glad to see some guys that have been struggling get it going last night like Ober (HR & 4 RBI), Smith (3 RBI), Cammarata (2-4, 2 R), and Hunter Jones ( 2-4 ,3 RBI). Yett and Mims also went deep. Bullock has a hit in every game of his 49er career so far (8 games). Mims and Yett also have hit safely in every game so far in 2018.[/size]

[size=1em]Also, Brett Netzer got to play for the big league Red Sox club yesterday down in Spring Training. Had the game winning RBI double!! Here is the story:[/size]

[size=1em]Brett Netzer, Boston Red Sox prospect, delivers game-winning hit for dad with colon cancer who was here watching[/size]
[size=1em]http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/02/boston_red_sox_prospect_brett.html[/size][/quote] Thanks for the Netzer link.

[size=2]4 game series hosting Siena this weekend. They are 0-7, started their season getting swept by defending national champ Florida.[/size]

[size=2]We have switched up the weekend rotation a little bit. Moved Josh to Friday, Brooks to Saturday, and now Cooner in the weekend rotation will start GM 2 on Saturday’s DH. We haven’t announced a starter for Sunday yet.[/size]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Sounds like Patten will go back to being in more of a closer’s role. Colby Bruce threw 5 in a mid-week start on Wednesday. Not sure who we go with Sunday.[/size][/font]

I guess if we sweep Mike Hill will be 8-0 against them this season? :smiley:

[size=2]According to the twitterverse, he was actually in attendance for some of that series.[/size]

[font=Segoe UI][size=2]https://twitter.com/rmikehill/status/964644093522477057[/size][/font]

[size=2]Over (Ron) would be happy to comment on how our previous AD never showed her face at baseball games. RIP.[/size]

[size=2]According to the twitterverse, he was actually in attendance for some of that series.[/size]

[font=Segoe UI][size=2]https://twitter.com/rmikehill/status/964644093522477057[/size][/font]

[size=2]Over (Ron) would be happy to comment on how our previous AD never showed her face at baseball games. RIP.[/size][/quote]

so true. Hey, Hill even tweets from UF games lol. Not worried about his privacy :))