2018 Football Recruiting Thread

From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

clt says this is from the appy chat board.

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:41, topic:30832”]From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

clt says this is from the appy chat board.[/quote]

This is why we need a new head coach. Ideally, a head coach that has won something somewhere. We don’t have tradition because we are only five years old. Lambert hasn’t established a winning precedent so what can he pitch at this point? “Come to Charlotte where we might win three or four game if we get lucky”. He can’t really sell being a founding father anymore.

The next coach will have the opportunity to rebrand Charlotte football. When we recruit head to head against App or ECU for that matter we always can ask the recruit “what do you like to do for fun?” or “where would you like to work after college?” then walk them over to the light rail and talk about the nightlife and job opportunities in our growing vibrant city.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:42, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:41, topic:30832”]From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

This is why we need a new head coach. Ideally, a head coach that has won something somewhere. We don’t have tradition because we are only five years old. Lambert hasn’t established a winning precedent so what can he pitch at this point? “Come to Charlotte where we might win three or four game if we get lucky”. He can’t really sell being a founding father anymore.

The next coach will have the opportunity to rebrand Charlotte football. When we recruit head to head against App or ECU for that matter we always can ask the recruit “what do you like to do for fun?” or “where would you like to work after college?” then walk them over to the light rail and talk about the nightlife and job opportunities in our growing vibrant city.[/quote]

Yes, we have lost any momentum we used to have by being brand new. We can’t sell winning tradition, there’s only so much we can sell on facilities (many schools have nice facilities now). Selling the city of Charlotte will work only to a degree. We need something to bring excitement back to the program. A new staff would do it (if the person is a hot new hire), but I would be willing to settle for just a new offensive coordinator who is from the coaching tree of a great offensive mind and shows signs of being a great offensive mind, and outstanding recruiter.

[quote=“ice_cold49er, post:43, topic:30832”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:42, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:41, topic:30832”]From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

The next coach will have the opportunity to rebrand Charlotte football. When we recruit head to head against App or ECU for that matter we always can ask the recruit “what do you like to do for fun?” or “where would you like to work after college?” then walk them over to the light rail and talk about the nightlife and job opportunities in our growing vibrant city.[/quote]

Yes, we have lost any momentum we used to have by being brand new. We can’t sell winning tradition, there’s only so much we can sell on facilities (many schools have nice facilities now). Selling the city of Charlotte will work only to a degree. We need something to bring excitement back to the program. A new staff would do it (if the person is a hot new hire), but I would be willing to settle for just a new offensive coordinator who is from the coaching tree of a great offensive mind and shows signs of being a great offensive mind, and outstanding recruiter.[/quote]

WINNING solves everything.

[quote=“49er1, post:44, topic:30832”][quote=“ice_cold49er, post:43, topic:30832”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:42, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:41, topic:30832”]From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

Yes, we have lost any momentum we used to have by being brand new. We can’t sell winning tradition, there’s only so much we can sell on facilities (many schools have nice facilities now). Selling the city of Charlotte will work only to a degree. We need something to bring excitement back to the program. A new staff would do it (if the person is a hot new hire), but I would be willing to settle for just a new offensive coordinator who is from the coaching tree of a great offensive mind and shows signs of being a great offensive mind, and outstanding recruiter.[/quote]

WINNING solves everything.[/quote]

Unless Judy is your AD in which case winning helps but even that can be screwed up.

[quote=“49er1, post:44, topic:30832”][quote=“ice_cold49er, post:43, topic:30832”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:42, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:41, topic:30832”]From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

WINNING solves everything.[/quote]**Almost everything. When MBB was rolling, there were plenty of issues about the Observers lack of coverage, Halton not consistently selling out, etc.

this thread is drifting away from the topic but Charlotte is a me-too town. for a short time in the late 1970s if you were a 49er fan, you were cool. then it stopped. it was winning and leadership and presentation and aura. there was a buzz about the university that enhanced the basketball team’s success and the team’s success created a buzz that juiced the entire university. I’m not close to the situation now, but my impression is that the people who look at the university at all now do so without the enthusiasm that used to exist. “Sad.”

FAU did well.

Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

Charlotteobserver.com: Record-setting QB from Iredell County reminds one area coach of Favre, Manziel

[quote=“Run49er, post:49, topic:30832”]Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

Charlotteobserver.com: Record-setting QB from Iredell County reminds one area coach of Favre, Manziel[/quote]

clt expects Clemson and VT to offer now.

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:50, topic:30832”][quote=“Run49er, post:49, topic:30832”]Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

Charlotteobserver.com: Record-setting QB from Iredell County reminds one area coach of Favre, Manziel[/quote]

clt expects Clemson and VT to offer now.[/quote] …and the young man to accept one of those.

Here is the reality from a HS coach who knows more than almost anyone on this board except 2k about recruiting.
This staff does NOT try to recruit Charlotte. They have not been out to a single one of our practices or games, they came to one scrimmage with 4 teams that we were in and that’s it. Funny, that scrimmage featured West Forsyth and coach Henry’s son.
It is so infuriating that they do not try to recruit Charlotte. I don’t wanna hear any BS about they cannot compete for recruits, if they were trying I’d buy your bullcrap point, but that isn’t the case. This staff is so beyond toxic for the legitimacy of the program it is sickening.
A back like Milan Howard should be a lock to go to Charlotte, we waited and waited and FINALLY offered him, but doubt he has any interest in coming here knowing who else will offer and we won’t even try.
There are tons of players at Mallard Creek, Butler, Vance, Christian, Catholic, South Pointe, South Point, Crest, etc
Need I go on? TRY!!! SHOW UP BUILD RELATIONSHIPS DAMNIT.
There is a reason we are getting turned away by recruits here because we don’t give a damn.
Here are some stats for you guys:
Charlotte’s 2018 recruiting class rank on 247: 128, ahead of power houses like Utah State and Princeton, but trails freakin Montana St
Two Charlotte area recuits, one doesn’t even count because he is the DCs son who is a 0 star. Not one commit from Mecklenburg County
Last year 4 kids in a class of 21 with NONE from Meck. County. Total damn joke.
Those of you who don’t like it when I complain about not enough local recruits…deal with it! It will kill our program.
I know several coaches refuse to even give us the time of day and that list will only grow the more we ignore our own damn county. Complete joke.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:52, topic:30832”]Here is the reality from a HS coach who knows more than almost anyone on this board except 2k about recruiting.
This staff does NOT try to recruit Charlotte. They have not been out to a single one of our practices or games, they came to one scrimmage with 4 teams that we were in and that’s it. Funny, that scrimmage featured West Forsyth and coach Henry’s son.
It is so infuriating that they do not try to recruit Charlotte. I don’t wanna hear any BS about they cannot compete for recruits, if they were trying I’d buy your bullcrap point, but that isn’t the case. This staff is so beyond toxic for the legitimacy of the program it is sickening.
A back like Milan Howard should be a lock to go to Charlotte, we waited and waited and FINALLY offered him, but doubt he has any interest in coming here knowing who else will offer and we won’t even try.
There are tons of players at Mallard Creek, Butler, Vance, Christian, Catholic, South Pointe, South Point, Crest, etc
Need I go on? TRY!!! SHOW UP BUILD RELATIONSHIPS DAMNIT.
There is a reason we are getting turned away by recruits here because we don’t give a damn.
Here are some stats for you guys:
Charlotte’s 2018 recruiting class rank on 247: 128, ahead of power houses like Utah State and Princeton, but trails freakin Montana St
Two Charlotte area recuits, one doesn’t even count because he is the DCs son who is a 0 star. Not one commit from Mecklenburg County
Last year 4 kids in a class of 21 with NONE from Meck. County. Total damn joke.
Those of you who don’t like it when I complain about not enough local recruits…deal with it! It will kill our program.
I know several coaches refuse to even give us the time of day and that list will only grow the more we ignore our own damn county. Complete joke.[/quote]

You’re 100% right. It’s pathetic how our recruiting has fallen off, and it was never great to begin with. Phil Ratliff and Napoleon Sykes were our Charlotte recruiters and no longer having them completely cut off our Char/Meck recruiting.

This is a big reason why I think Lambert should be fired. He hasn’t adjusted our recruiting areas at all. That stat you listed about our lack of players from Mecklenburg is really disturbing.

Our recruiting philosophy in all sports should be as follows:

1.) very good Charlotte metro area kids that don’t want to leave home 2.) Regional kids (within 250 miles) that want to come to a vibrant city for college 3.) National kids that have some connection to the staff or the area 4.) Transfers from bigger programs wanting more playing time 5.) Jucos.

This isn’t rocket science.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:51, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:50, topic:30832”][quote=“Run49er, post:49, topic:30832”]Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

clt expects Clemson and VT to offer now.[/quote] …and the young man to accept one of those.[/quote]
From Pope’s comments about the Niners, doesn’t sound like someone who’s going to reneg on his commitment.

[quote=“Run49er, post:55, topic:30832”][quote=“4ever niner, post:51, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:50, topic:30832”][quote=“Run49er, post:49, topic:30832”]Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

clt expects Clemson and VT to offer now.[/quote] …and the young man to accept one of those.[/quote]
From Pope’s comments about the Niners, doesn’t sound like someone who’s going to reneg on his commitment.[/quote]

clt bets he makes us forget about that Riley guy

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:56, topic:30832”][quote=“Run49er, post:55, topic:30832”][quote=“4ever niner, post:51, topic:30832”][quote=“ghostofclt, post:50, topic:30832”][quote=“Run49er, post:49, topic:30832”]Big O piece about South Iredell QB Brady Pope.

From Pope’s comments about the Niners, doesn’t sound like someone who’s going to reneg on his commitment.[/quote]

clt bets he makes us forget about that Riley guy[/quote]

Nope. Too many obsessive types around here.

We should be relentless in recruiting the Charlotte metro area. It blows my mind we haven’t made great relationships with the coaches in this area.

Read this. Look at where NC ranks. Observe the numbers Mallard Creek has generated.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_0c118b6c-db1c-11e7-a3a2-cb30bc5f1734.html?utm_content=bufferf12a9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Is today the start of early signing period?