2019 CUSA Bowl Games

What CUSA bowl game do you think we have a shot at? Where would you like to go?

CUSA Bowls
Dec. 30 — First Responder Bowl: Big Ten vs. Conference USA, ESPN, 12:30 p.m. Dallas, TX
Dec. 23 — Gasparilla Bowl: American vs. Conference USA, ESPN, 2:30 p.m. St. Petersburg, FL
Dec. 21 — New Orleans Bowl: Conference USA vs. Sun Belt, ESPN, 9 p.m.
Dec. 21 — Boca Raton Bowl: American/Conference USA/MAC, ABC, 3:30 p.m.
Dec. 21 — New Mexico Bowl: Conference USA vs. Mountain West, ESPN, 2 p.m.
Dec. 20 — Bahamas Bowl: Conference USA vs. MAC, ESPN, 2 p.m.

What is the pecking order for bowl selection?

Which ever one is the closest road trip from Charlotte. This list doesn’t show locations, but the Bahamas Bowl is no-brainer no for me. So upon further research, the one in Tampa is my choice.

Not sure there is an official one as it seems to be based on conference record and what the school feels best for them but I would rank in this order:

1. First Responder (B10 opponent)
  2. Boca Raton (ABC coverage)
  3. Gasparilla (Location & AAC opponent)
  4. NO Bowl ( Location & Sunbelt champ usually plays in this one)
  5. New Mexico (Good for Texas schools)
  6. Bahamas (Tough to sell people on spending a couple grand to travel)
1 Like

Here’s my list

Dec. 30 — First Responder Bowl: Big Ten vs. Conference USA, ESPN, 12:30 p.m. Easily the best bowl this year
Dec. 21 — Boca Raton Bowl: American/Conference USA/MAC, ABC, 3:30 p.m ABC Audience, Boca, traditionally a Top 2 CUSA bowl, I’m in.
Dec. 21 — New Orleans Bowl: Conference USA vs. Sun Belt, ESPN, 9 p.m. New Orleans vs the SBC Champ
Dec. 23 — Gasparilla Bowl: American vs. Conference USA, ESPN, 2:30 p.m. Only reason it’s this low is it’s so close to Christmas
Dec. 20 — Bahamas Bowl: Conference USA vs. MAC, ESPN, 2 p.m. Bahamas is more fun and easier to get to than New Mexico
Dec. 21 — New Mexico Bowl: Conference USA vs. Mountain West, ESPN, 2 p.m. Would be the toughest to get to I think.

I think Charlotte fans would travel best to any of the Florida bowls followed by the New Orleans Bowl. The Bahamas and New Bowls would likely draw the fewest fans.

I might just be used to the B1G, but I was under the impression there was always a pecking order. I doing some research I was wrong. This is from college football news:

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

So with that information, I would agree with Chidave49 for a general order.

It would be cool to play a P-5 team in a bowl but there’s not a lot of similarities to us and the Big 12 teams. Plus Dallas isn’t a easy sell for a last minute trip to fly for a football game around Christmas.

1. Gasparilla
  2. Boca Raton
  3. New Orleans
  4. Bahamas
  5. First Responder
  6. New Mexico

Only bowl I wouldn’t plan to be able to make it to would be the NM bowl.

Travel wise the Florida games would be better for fans but the exposure of playing a B10 team later in the bowl schedule would do wonders for the program.

Bahama’s bowl interesting fact. It costs more to take a ferry from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas than to fly there from Charlotte.

Yea I’d bet there’d be some kind of flight/hotel deal worked out through the AD if we went there, would be kind of fun to have a place full of Niners flying to a bowl.

Everything I’ve seen, the First Responder bowl is Big 12, not BIG10

I believe the B12 has rotated out.