2019 Football Schedule

Just looking at the schedule in Healy’s first season.

8/31 - Gardner-Webb, FCS team coming off a 3-8 season (must win)

9/07 - at Appalachian State, 2018 Sunbelt champs, do they take a step back with a new coach?

9/14 - UMass, coming off a 4-8 season and will have a new coach (must win at home if we want to make a bowl)

9/21 - at Clemson, body bag game take the check and don’t get injured.

At ODU, I suspect they will turn things around in Norfolk next season.

Marshall, coming off a solid season and always a consistent winning program.

At WKU, new coach and big unknown.

FAU, took a big step back in 2018. Lane Kiffin has never had long-term success anywhere another big unknown.

At FIU, Butch Davis has always been able build talented college teams. Can we finally knock off FIU?

MTSU, CUSA East division winner. I think Stockstill may graduate. Do they take a step back?

CUSA West, don’t know yet but we’ve never played UTEP, LA Tech, or UNT since joining CUSA.

At CUSA West, don’t know who we’ll play yet.

We don’t need to refer to FCS games as “must win”

Outside of Clemson, there’s not a game on the schedule we shouldn’t compete in. Hopefully we can get some JUCO guys in to bolster the o line and secondary.

Especially if we can get a favorable draw from CUSA west, we should bowl.

Couple of thoughts here.

This is the year the CUSA schedule “resets”. While we will play the six teams in the east, there is a small chance that a home and home switches years. Think Middle coming here two years in a row.

I expect the east to be the stronger side which sucks for us.

As for the west, I think this makes or breaks our season. If we get USTA, Rice or UTEP that’s a huge advantage. If we get UNT, La Tech or UAB, dohhh. (IMO, USM is off the table. We’ve played them four straight and I think the conference is trying to keep them with Marshall).
I think CUSA will keep us with UAB trying too make a rivalry between “new” teams.
The 2nd game will likely be against one of the schools we haven’t played which gives us UNT, Tech or UTEP, which gives us a 2/3 shot of getting a tough game.

Oh, and we’ll beat the crap out of Gardner Webb.

We have yet, in 4 seasons, to play UTEP, LaTech, or N. Texas. I don’t see how we avoid at two of these three teams on the 2019 schedule. Even crazier, how can you go 5 years in a conference without playing every team at least once?

In fairness to CUSA, cross division scheduling got out of whack with UAB’s situation but it should be the normal rotation now.

clt says we will likely lose to clempson, but all other games are W’s

FWIW, App is around the second or third youngest team in FBS. They only lose 4 starters. They’ll be loaded. The Rock will be a tough venue on the road

I hope we permanently schedule Austin Peay and help them continue the good work Healy started. Nice future home coming game

Charlotte will play at UTEP and host UNT next season.

Make sense. Have a link?

CUSA Board

It seems that on paper it is divided up pretty evenly.

googlemaps says it takes 24 hours to drive to El Paso, TX from Charlotte’s campus. Driving to the game has a benefit in that you change time zones twice and gain two hours. You lose those driving back.

It is sad a 1668 mile trip is not the longest in the conference. ODU to UTEP should be the longest.

UTEP should revert to Texas Western. Their greatest achievement came under that name.

Update with helmets