2021-22 MBB USC Upstate @ Charlotte, 11/12 7:00 PM CUSA.tv

The game never seemed in doubt even though we never pulled away. We won. I want to see how this team does against better competition. We have so much more offensive options this year than last year. Between Young, Trapp, Butler and Braswell, one or even two of these players having an off night doesnā€™t guarantee a loss.

Why isnā€™t Braswell starting over Threadgill? I havenā€™t seen the minutes but It seemed Braswell played way more than game 1.

Hopefully Trappā€™s ankle injury isnā€™t serious and they were holding him out the rest of the game because the game wasnā€™t in doubt.

Only 11 turnovers so the second straight game we are taking care of the ball. So much less WTF turnovers than years past.

6 Likes

The talent is there. Hopefully they continue to gel. It would be fun to be involved in a conference race in February.

5 Likes

Agreed, we have the talent and we arenā€™t getting shot clock violations. Itā€™s hard to complain at the moment. Considering all the new pieces my hope is we continue to improve.

Hereā€™s to hoping Trapp is back playing soon.

4 Likes

1 Like

Didnā€™t make it to Halton tonight but happy we got a fairly comfortable win with Trapp out.

1 Like

I think this is the best team we have had since the 12-13 season. Hope we can continue pulling it together and be competitive throughout the season. 20 wins definitely seems attainable with this team.

4 Likes

Was not there last night but the talent is certainly exciting and I donā€™t remember having a guard combo that is this athletic before!

We have pieces. I think we still need to get more complete and consistent play from the 5 spot, but there is potential there as well. I was happy to see some guys contribute on offense who didnā€™t do as much in game 1. Speaks to depth.

Understanding that teams are still developing chemistry and identity, and that a lot of teams struggle much worse than we have (CHeat nearly lost to non scholarship Brown last night), I would still like to see this program develop that killer instinct. On the nights where we do have a clear talent advantage, Iā€™d like to see us coldly execute until the opponent is absolutely broken, knowing they just cannot win. When / if we get there, Iā€™ll be very pleased.

3 Likes

The offensive style we are playing this year is super refreshing. Either Sanchez realized what he was trying to run last year canā€™t be successful, or feels like we have the talent to give more players the greenlight to shoot early in the shot clock this year. Either way it is very encouraging to see him adjust and grow as a head coach in his 3rd year. Thatā€™s a great sign to me.

3 Likes

It wasnā€™t really like Trapp was out. He got hurt pretty late. He played 29 minutes.

2 Likes

He was having an off game. The sprain looked really painful and he was not very mobile from what I could see.

I didnā€™t make it to Halton last night. Just was looking at his numbers. To win first night with Young having a night off and then last night with Trapp being hurt and having a
Off night and still winning both is a great sign.

Full box: Men's Basketball vs USC Upstate on 11/12/2021 - Box Score - Charlotte Athletics

Young had an even better stat line than I realized. Think I was focusing too much on him still being kinda cold from outsideā€¦ But he still found a way to put in 25 with 9 assists and 6 rebounds. Those are 1st team all conference #s.

The depth on offense is refreshing. Felt too often in recent years that Jahmir had to have a great night every night for us to win. Itā€™s still important, but we have other guys that can score. Butler and Braswell having strong showings being especially important.

At some point, all of these guys and Trapp are a going to get hot on the same nightā€¦ That will be interesting.

Still wonder what this lineup will look like when we are 100% healthy. I do think that if Jallow is as strong of a defender as his reputation, thereā€™s no way Sanchez keeps him off the floor. But whose minutes does he take? Iā€™d hate to take one of our scorers off the floor.

Braswell looks like our best 3 point threat this year, I hope he can start getting significantly more minutes than threadgill as the season goes on. Khalifa is solid but man he moves pretty slow. I hope he can work on that as he develops here, but he is skilled and a big body - would love to see him here over the next 3-4 years and see what he can build off of to develop into.

Civil - Agree with you on Braswell and Khalifa.

Jallow will take a lot of Threadgill minutes when he returns. We are a better team when Butler looks to score and would love to see Some of Butlet rub off on Threadgill.

Overall, team has the talent. When We need points, we need to make sure the right player is getting the shot and should look more to get the points in the paint. We also need to finish better at the rim. Excited to see the season the play out. Letā€™s get revenge on our loss last year to App st!

Really want to stomp app. We have taken good teams there and lost and struggled. A convincing win there will feel good.

5 Likes

One thing I did find odd was there was no medical attention given to Trapp when he hurt his ankle. He stayed in and shot his FTs and then taken out and given attention. He was visibly in pain. Just glad he hit his 2nd FT.

He waived them off. After the first free throw he shook his head and asked to be taken out.

Was reassuring and refreshing to see Braswell knock down those threes with confidence and seeming ease. Been a long while since Iā€™ve seen that here. Threadgill, bless his heart, is a total disappointment there with the rep he had in HS as a three point shooter.

2 Likes