2021 Week 13 - Charlotte @ ODU, 11/27 2:00 PM ESPN+

Iā€™m torn.

I always want to win and bowl, but Healy will use that as an excuse not to make voluntary coaching changes.

That means Hill either has to trust his HC or step in.

I donā€™t see us winning Saturday either but going to our second bowl is a building block for our program. It helps recruiting and marketing of the program. Selfishly it would be nice to take the wife on a short trip to Florida, Myrtle Beach, or somewhere else. I didnā€™t make the trip to Nassau in 2019.

1 Like

If we somehow make a bowl, I hope the opponentā€™s running backs all quit or transfer before the game.

And why do you think that will change the result?:rofl:

This too.

I think everyone with half a brain knows that there will be changes coming at the end of the season, regardless of what happens on Saturday.

Iā€™m pulling for a win and a bowl appearance. The players deserve it, especially guys like Reynolds. The extra practice and just the experience of being in a bowl game can only help us down the road.

Do we think we are Alabama or something, rooting to not go to a bowl!?!?! Newsflash: we are a 9 year old program with only ONE season above .500 and ONE bowl game. No matter how excruciating it is to watch our defense, this is still our 2nd most successful season in history.

11 Likes

:cry:

I donā€™t see losing the ODU game as the last straw for Healy to realize he needs to make staff changes. He is either going to make changes based on the crappy play weā€™ve seen this far or he is going down with the ship.

1 Like

I think DC is getting replaced no matter what. There is no metric to defend that unit performance regardless of bowl. Now if we miss bowl it may mean both coordinators being replaced.

3 Likes

You seem very confident that Healey will make a change to the defensive staffā€¦ I guess Iā€™m notā€¦ Is there something you know that we donā€™t? In a perfect world, we win Saturday, win our bowl game, and still get rid of the D coordinator but I just donā€™t see that happening in reality, I guess time will tellā€¦

I was curious just how bad we were so I looked it upā€¦

10th from the bottom in yards given up this year. Something needs to change.

Ugh USFā€™s defense is 3 behind ours in yards given up this season. Same # of games.

So much for the Glenn Spencer theory.

I ran into Mike Hill after the game Saturday. He wasnā€™t happy. I have no inside information but I feel very confident that we will see staff changes including DC.

9 Likes

I agree there needs to be some staff replaced. We also MUST get bigger and more talented players. Thatā€™s where the real difference will be made on the field.

5 Likes

NA endorses the last 2 posts.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if we had the 85 Bears roster we could overcome this scheme haha. So many times in the game weā€™re one missed tackle away from being off to the races. Nothing is more demoralizing than getting run on the way have.

I think we all agree we need to keep recruiting better and bigger players. Scheme though matters in a big way. If we keep putting players in position to not make plays itā€™s gonna be hard to win. We are not going to out recruit Chapel Hill or Maryland or other P5s coming in, but we can run a scheme that gives us a chance. I know the say itā€™s jimmy and Joeā€™s not Xs and Os but we need a scheme that works and then the right Jimmy and Joeā€™s. This scheme defensively doesnā€™t work.

1 Like

I would really like to see someone go for the legs instead of the ball.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely something we seem to coach the strip vs tackle the guy.

During realignment talk, schools are able to flex bowl appearance and bowl win numbers. Right now I have low confidence we will win this weekend and even lower we would pull off a bowl win. But to add another bowl to our programā€™s resume and a chance for our first bowl win, no way in hell would I see losing this Saturday as a positive for this program. Healy and Hill know football better than most of us here and they are seeing what we see - I have no inside info but agree with others there is no way we keep our same staff after the season regardless of these potential upcoming games.

1 Like