2021 Week 4 - Middle Tennessee @ Charlotte, 9/24 6:30 PM CBS Sports Network

No Holley… No Boykins

I know both were expected back last week and Holley played some but I don’t think Boykins did.

Our defense needs help…was hoping these 2 would be a spark in doing just that.

Is Holley hurt…he was supposed to be a big help?

Injuring a shoulder or elbow can forever alter a throwing motion for some. What once might have felt natural and accurate for Chris might now feel erratic and weird. His accuracy was amazingly consistent before AppST

1 Like

I think rain + hand size can cause issues. That’s my working theory.

He was accurate against Duke and Gardner Webb

He was not as accurate as I remember

Camp as RB1 over Byrd is a joke, if true…Byrd should be getting 75% of our carries.

Might also have to do with blocking. Not sure who was supposed to be blocking when Chris dropped back - harder to track in person but if Byrd missed a few blocks in protection that could justify him not starting.

Throwing out the final meaningless drive, there were 4 drives in the second half.

The first drive had a few first down pass completions, then after a 2nd a long run for no gain which was a theme resulting from play calling (5 times I believe) we were forced into a third in long and our Oline never held up in this scenario.

The second drive was run/run/9 yard pass and then stuffed run on 4th for Turnover on downs

The third drive they were driving, was 7 plays - 5 runs and 2 completions over 10 yards, one was another third and long, the last resulting in the unfortunate fumble.

The fourth drive after the INT, three runs and a punt, and we never saw the ball again.

There were 11 incompletions prior to the last drive - 2 were receivers falling down or unable to cut on timing routes. 1 hit Vics hands on a deep ball, also not his fault and we scored on this drive. Another was a blatant PI on Dubose long ball, 1 was dropped, 1 was a busted bubble screen, 1 was a throwaway deep ball down the sideline after a third down pass rush, and 3 were poorly thrown.

Our only touchdown of the game came passing.

If you can’t see the number one problem which has been the case and plagued them since the onset of last year, it’s the playcalling and being stuck in their comfort zone of “if I throw the ball 30 times there’s a problem” quote from Healy. This is a stubborn mentality and an inability to adjust.

Now go back to Duke - 3/4 touchdowns were all passing drives, and scored quick on all. The first and final two drives, when our back was against the wall. As has always been the case with this staff, they have no killer mentality and they were back in their ways the middle 80 percent of the game, where we let Duke come back and take a lead.

Now Ask yourself what the strength of this team is… It’s the receivers, and the quarterback on offense. It’s not the offensive line and it’s not the trio of running backs. Why are we playing to our weakness and not our strength? That’s flawed coaching. Furthermore, ever since Spencer left this defense has been atrocious stopping the run. I believe the talent is there, and again I blame the coaching. They have held this team back from their potential.

11 Likes

That was a long post, so it must be true, but perhaps there will be an executive summary. My attention span is closer to a 5year old

1 Like

Very solid post.

Amen!

Great analysis. Well done.

Praise Jesus

1 Like

clt would prefer a 4-3

Run defense needs an 8-4-3.

2 Likes

Is it really that hard for us to drop to 4 DBs and switch to a 4-3 or a 5-2 against particularly run heavy teams?

We need to get some more beef on that DL.

2 Likes

Hallelujah

1 Like

Hail Thor and Odin and Freyja

I’m excited that the weather is going to be perfect for this game and it’s on CBSSN and not just streaming online.

BTW what’s the uni scheme for this game?