2022-23 Niner Basketball 🏀

I’m thinking 17-14 with that schedule - 6-5 in OOC (1-2 in MBI) and 11-9 in C-USA. Pretty sure I’ll revise that once preseason predictions come out. Still mulling whether to get a copy of the annual Blue Ribbon yearbook or try the inaugural The Almanac preview.

This schedule brought to you by:

1 Like

Lake Bell Rio GIF by ABC Network

11-9 in CUSA??? No way we are above .500 in conference play. Are these freshman/new guys solid instant contributor type guys that I’m not aware of?

I’ll bet you $100 we don’t win 15 games. If you thought 17 games then this should be an easy bet for you. I hold your money before season starts though.

2 Likes

I’m picking UAB, WKU, North Texas, and Middle Tennessee to be the top 4 this season. See most of our league losses coming from that quartet. The remaining “Mediocre Seven” is where we’ll pick up the majority of the Ws.

Not a betting guy. Only did it once at a greyhound race at Wimbledon many years ago!

With the trajectory of our evolving men’s basketball scheduling, I think we will start playing a couple of high school teams in a year or two

3 Likes

We are getting closer and closer to playing an out of conference schedule of upward teams

If Rich Rolf can continue hitting 3’s at a 50% clip, we will be just fine.

It’s not even worth getting upset about.

1 Like

comedy central GIF by Drunk History

2 Likes

Queens (now D1) and Winthrop are both in our backyards but why play them when you can schedule a home/home with Detroit Mercy?

Last season’s NET for reference.

9 games vs Top100
11 games vs 101-199
11 games vs 200+

2 Likes

Mr B running interference on the scheduling?

:sunglasses:

J/k

That makes the schedule look a little more balanced, though it certainly isn’t a schedule with post season aspirations.

Posted without comment. Just was curious this morning so looked it up.

OOC Schedule:

3 Games vs Top 100
3 games vs 101-199
5 games vs 200+

We could go 25-6 in regular season and still not get an at large bid with that schedule.

For us to have a good year it would require Ron to be a completely different coach than we’ve seen since he got here, and get the hell out of the way and let the guys be what they are and nit try and make this a Bennett team.

1 Like

coaching can only do so much if you don’t have the horses

Jimmy + Joe > X + O.

1 Like

We have a good enough roster to make noise. Aly, brice, braswell are a good start.

1 Like

Williams might step up. Khalifa might get healthy and be a nice tandem with Williams. Braswell was solid last year, could be even better this year? Threadgill could finally find his form (think he does have potential, but sometimes guys just never put it together at this level). Maybe one of the new guys surprises us? It’s at least conceivable they could replace and even maybe supersede what we did with Young. Young was a really talented player though, it will be tough to replace him, but one minor issue was he wasn’t always the best on-ball defender (though he certainly wasn’t the only player with that issue).

I’m pretty pessimistic, seems like all these things need to happen to compete at a higher level, and the team and coach have to put it together. Not seeing many signs of that happening. I remember reading Khalifa was injured, is he back for the season or likely out for part of it? With that schedule, pretty much need to win the conf tournament to get into NCAA’s, and we’ve yet to look like we’re capable of that. I will keep expectations low and hope to be pleasantly surprised (which rarely happens with this program anymore).