2023-24 49er MBB Game #2 - Liberty vs Charlotte (@Spectrum Center) 11/10 4:30 PM ESPN+

Gotcha. Following you now.

On a positive note, graves and Berry have been a nice surprise so far this year. Hopefully we can look like a functional team that knows how to play together because those two appear to have taken a nice leap.

Need to get braswell back and we need for Jackson to hit his little jump shots around the rim. Left a lot of points on the court tonight with misses for a few feet.

We look like a sloppy team that hasn’t played together much because we haven’t.

2 Likes

Sanchez is a bitch. Never saw why Mike Hill praised him constantly even after he quit. Makes you speculate what was the deal between them.

1 Like

clt says we had a good crowd at the game, but we were spread out.

hardly any carolina fans, they had more at the baseball games in the spring

Their game is still two hours away.

I didn’t expect our inexperience to win over a team as good as Liberty but I did see some hope. The chemistry is not there yet but we finally have enough depth and talent that it could happen. We have really good pieces that just needs time to develop.

2 Likes

And Duquesne wins 90-72.

BTW, CBS Sports refers to both us and CofC as CHAR on their NCAA MBB scoreboard.

Duquesne is always good! I remember many years we had good teams and they would always seem to beat us. They were on the list of who could beat us, was it Valpo, Duquesne & St Louis the short list?:grin:

Dukes did have the better of us in the latter part of the series that we lead 6-5.

From CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/CharlotteMBB/status/1723161268570206641

Question: has there been many of these downtown invitationals lately? Tonight loss🥲….zThe big one we won, was the one at old arena in the late 80s we beat two ranked teams! The Alabama team we beat was loaded with a few nba
All stars.

The situation this season sucks. Fuck Ron for putting this program in this position.

As for this season, Fearne has been dealt a tough deck. The team obviously wants to run more, but they just haven’t come together as a team. This season is what it is, have to hope Fearne gets the team together. If not we move on. I don’t wanna say it’s a throw away year, but it kind of is. Mike didn’t have a choice except to bring Fearne in as the HC but the situation we are in is due to his commitment to Ron. Really shows you what kinda guy Ron is.

I’m not worried about Mike yet. I wanna see where Biff finishes and then see who takes Fearne spot assuming he doesn’t show it’s him.

How very Judy of him.

Half the team threatened to transfer if Fearne wasn’t retained in some capacity and I’m sure Mike wanted to keep the team together because that late building a team would have been difficult.

Mike made the right call in that situation. He didn’t make the right call extending Ron or sticking with him, but when Ron left when he did Mikes options were limited. Playing out the situation with Aaron and then having abnormal cycle was the best move for the long term.

3 Likes
5 Likes

What is it with Charlotte and these micro managing types…

We got a owner of the Panthers that can’t let the coaches do what they want and now it sounds like we got an AD that can’t let the coaches do what they want…

Of course both are laughing stocks…

Damn hire good people and let them do their own shit… it’s not that hard.

Threadgill played 31 minutes and scored 5 points and 3 of those came on his > can only hit a 3 if the clock is expiring and I am rushing it< shot he has patented. All 31 minutes and 5 points came with no defender on him above 5’7". When he was out the points came easier and the flow was better. Berry doubled his point production and 3 point % in 17 minutes. Threadgill seems like a great kid but he is a Senior and is what he is at this point. He needs only about 12 to 15 minutrs a game max. Graves, Berry, and Folkes along with Braswell coming back can handle his minutes just fine. If I am Fearne and want to keep my job I would quickly come to this conclusion.

6 Likes

No. You don’t manage coaches because of current players. JV level stuff there.

1 Like

Normally Id agree with you and after losing Williams and Aly no one on the roster was good enough to really worry about losing from a talent perspective. If this had gone down like this in March then absolutely awful way to handle it.

The concern in the AD though was being able to just field a team that late. Maybe the players were bluffing - I have no idea if it was just players talking or parents communicating, but the reality is if they weren’t bluffing, we would have had trouble having a roster. The athletic department was VERY worried about the majority of the team leaving. Mikes #1 concern is making sure we can field a team. Now it’s his fault we were in that situation though, so I’m not letting him off the hook there.

Combine the risk of losing the roster and it being difficult to impossible to back fill due to the calendar with the limited choice of coaches, kicking the can down the road was the best move. Making a rush move to hire a guy quickly with a limited pool and a potentially empty roster in June would have been a disaster.

There really wasn’t a good way forward just bad to worse choices

2 Likes