2023 49er Football Season 🏈

Of interest to me, looking at the roster posted there are 113 players and only 9 are either seniors or graduate students

And this isnt even our entire team. Recent signees havent been added yet. Thats 5 or 6 more players

1 Like
1 Like

55fan, I assumed that there was a few more coming in before fall, but wow! I also assume that there will be some departures before fall and it would appear there will be a large number put on a redshirt season. Most significantly to me, only 7-8% will be graduating giving us a huge number eligible for the '24 season.

And we will be adding more after spring practice since there will be departures

1 Like

We are not used to having deep talent. We need that to have a consistent season. We are so much deeper at offensive and defensive lines. It’s incredible. On new guys, I don’t gel anymore that might become a starter this year or next year or 3rd year will be turned away if they fit the kind of kid they want.

Army and Navy run practices with like multiple scout squads, i believe they practice with as much as 150.

They have also brought guys from the stands at halftime to play in a game, including a QB!

Pretty good list of what we lost / had to replace.

I think Elijah Spencer is the only notable name not shown above.

Spencer doesnt play for us. Plus hes still in college

Yes, somehow I edited the post and deleted the first sentence. It’s fixed now.

1 Like
4 Likes

Not the best thread to ask, but I’ve always wondered why the outer padded helmets aren’t worn during games? If they make practice safer, why are we not trying to make games safer?

3 Likes

I have pondered something to that effect. It’s kind of like the softer walls in NASCAR, only they have to be light enough to not increase other injuries like to the neck, and they have to be sized small enough for a guy running 22 mph to be able to turn his head almost 180 degrees to the direction he is running and then track and catch a pass from 45 yards away.

That is the best run on sentence I have had in a long time.

The reality is, tackle Football will never ever be safe

1 Like

Are spring practices open to the public and if so, is there a practice schedule out there?

2 Likes

Jalen Jones will be the starter next year…no reason for Biff to bring him in or for him to come to not play/star. Black redshirts and has a chance to start as redshirt freshman.

Where is the big German kid from Michigan?

Just D-line. DE and LB probably seperate article.

They seemed to leave guys out of the oline article too so i wouldnt read much into it