2023 49er Football Week #8 - Charlotte @ ECU 10/21 2:00 PM ESPN+

This might be my last year. Hard for me to justify the time and money. Every weekend costs me $500+ by the time I stay over night. I can catch the games on plus as a rule and just hang at home.

The only pluses are seeing old friends and my daughter lives in Southend so we can see her some when in town.

Gonna do some serious thinking on this

For those making drives of 90 mins or more - my heart goes out to yā€™all.

3 Likes

I live 9 minutes from the stadium and havenā€™t been to a game in two years. I donā€™t know how the people that have to travel in for games do it.

Still come up a lot for bball, but mostly just because itā€™s a good way to kill an evening in a shitty time of year. Even when we suck i donā€™t feel guilty or bad about having gone.

Wasting quality Saturdays with beautiful fall weather on awful Niner football is not it. Iā€™m not a big tailgating guy, so if the product on the field is trash, there is nothing in it for me.

Same. I drive a little over an hour so not terrible but I couldnā€™t imagine those driving two + hours to see us play poorly.

My wife has been in my ear a lot about still purchasing season tickets when the performance is so bad. I donā€™t make it to every home game so I am usually able to recoup some of the money I spent on tickets by selling on stubhub. If we donā€™t improve a lot next year + the predicted increase in ticket prices the following year, I am going to have a hard time justifying continuing to buy season tickets. I keep expecting things to improve and itā€™s sadly more of the same.

ECU is a bad team so weā€™ll definitely have a chance for a win Saturday.

We seem to be getting off topic but I live closer to ECU than CLT :call_me_hand: I am looking forward to the shorter drive. Letā€™s get some green in Greenville!

3 Likes

What a pity party we are having today. My wife and I travel over 2 1/2 hours both ways. My wife, who is an NCSU grad, pushes me sometimes to go to games in the worst of times. We have only missed a couple of regular season games, and been to all the spring games, since the football program started.

After every game and before making the long trip home (if we donā€™t stay overnight in a hotel), win or lose, I always look at our beautiful stadium and say to myself, ā€œIts not where we are, itā€™s where we are going to be.ā€

I realize things are tough right now. Our AD and football staff donā€™t intentionally make bad decisions. Come on folks. Get in the ballgame. Suck it up!

You all can make your own decisions about whether you want to participate. I hope that you will keep the faith and continue to support our football program through thick and thin. I know my wife and I will.

15 Likes

I agree Nirvana. I get that we are all different and enjoy different things, but while I like to tailgate on occasion, 99% of the reason I come the games is to support my alma mater and I like watching football. My wife does as well. It will certainly be WAY more enjoyable when we start winning more, but I donā€™t get the ā€œif it wasnā€™t for tailgating I wouldnā€™t be thereā€ crowdā€¦to each his own.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/1714308576951640302

You see Kurt thatā€™s the thing. You say itā€™s about where weā€™re gonna be. Iā€™ve lost faith in thinking weā€™re ever gonna be anything other than warm up games for good squads in football and hoops. I had season tix for basketball for 15 yrs and would travel to watch us play a Wed night 7:30 game then drive back to Asheville.

But thereā€™s a huge difference in driving 5 hrs round trip to see us beat number 3 Cincinnati in hoops than to make the same trip to see a sorry ass football game between two bad teams that the punters were the MVPs.

After the last 15 or so years I think I just have beaten dog syndrome and itā€™s to the point that Iā€™m not sure itā€™s worth the effort any longer.

3 Likes
This year, I would rather beatā€¦
  • ECU in football
  • Davidson in basketball
0 voters

I havent missed a game and managed to make it to both our covid limited crowd games - but I canā€™t lie the tailgate and seeing new friends and old friends is what has kept coming to games a no brainer. I absolutely love being able to sit on campus and talk to and see other Niners. I wouldnā€™t trade it for the world. Even if the game sucks - I have had a good time.

With that said if I had other family obligations or really long drives I dunno - I wouldnā€™t blame people for not making the games the priority I have. I get it.

I still have basketball tickets, but I cut back on attendance big time. To go out on a cold or rainy night, often times leaving kids or keeping them up late just to sit and watch bad basketball, get angry and go back home? Iā€™d rather not make the 30 min drive and stay in my warm house with the kids. Basketball games have gone to depressing to just a out right comedy where all i can do is shake my head and laugh.

3 Likes

https://x.com/beta_rank_fb/status/1714005035837718633?s=20

2 Likes
2 Likes

The game itself and the results are definitely the secondary attraction for me to come to games. I enjoy the 6 ā€œfamily reunionsā€ that we get each fall to see friends, family, etc, and throw a few back. Thatā€™s what I enjoy. I even get to see some of you folks.

It is getting harder to make it to every game due to kids and all of their activities, so I appreciate each one more and more.

3 Likes

ECU has a top 25 rushing defense in college football, giving up 110 yards per game. For comparison, Navy has a solid run defense and gives up almost 150 yards per game.

Like Navy, ECU can be beaten through the air. They give up about 26.5 pts per game and itā€™s largely through the passing game. The problem is, we donā€™t have a passing game.

They are struggling at QB as badly as we are, or nearly as badly.

That said, I expect a near repeat of the Navy game with a little more effective offense from ECU.

ECU QB is an AC Reynolds kid. Good athlete but I donā€™t remember him being much of a thrower.

ECU will be highly motivated to beat us during our first meeting. Mike Houston will not want the embarrassment of losing to the team he rejected. I hope we play well but I just donā€™t see a path to victory.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GunslingerBuzz/status/1714324500228039025?t=Q-8Tbsv7GyEcHnoU13Mi6w&s=19

4 Likes

I see no reason not to at this point. Nothing else is working so might as well try Bowens and see what he can do. If he looks promising he has 2 more years of eligibility.

4 Likes

Are they trying to redshirt Bowens? That the only thng that makes sense for continuing to play Ivey (and the way that statement read)