22nd Annual Great Gold Rush Auction

I meant to post this earlier in the week.

Information pulled from the Official Site of Charlotte 49ers Athletics, home page:http://charlotte49ers.collegesports.com/

The Athletic Foundation is hosting The 22nd Annual Great Gold Rush Auction, Saturday, June 4, 2005 at Halton Arena within the Barnhardt Student Activity Center on-campus. The event’s Silent Auction will begin at 5:30 pm, followed by dinner (7:45) and the Live Auction. For more information on how to attend or to make a contribution, contact Kelly Weatherman at 704/687-6024.

This is the biggest fundraising event of the year. It has become a huge event. Maybe Dale will hand out some more $1,000 bonuses. :smiley:

What sorts of things are up for auction? Any new cars by chance :smiley:

It would be nice if there was some way to see the items up for auction on the web and place a bid. :frowning:

OK You people wonder why we struggle with money… this is the reason! I have been a member of the 49er club and go to the games. I read this website along with a few others and this is the FIRST time I have ever heard of this! No phone call, no mailing… nothing! That is awful! This AD does a horrible job at getting the word out. We will never be able to retain coaches (for any sport) or start a football team, or any other major athletic achievement with the leadership we have in place.

I’ll be at the auction. This is one of my favorite events of the year and an opportunity to pick up some of that hard to find 49er logo wear. Instead of begging Gray’s to bring in something nice you can wear what the teams wear. Over the years I have gotten basketball warmups, baseball jersey, dugout jacket, soccer coaches shirt, and tennis warmups. I even have the '76 NIT Finals banner that hung in Belk Gym for all those years.

Tomorrow night we will raise $200,000 and have a great time. I hate that anyone who would have gone might miss it so call now and see if you can still get in. I got a couple of 49er Club mailings that either mentioned the auction or included a seperate sheet about it. It is always the first Saturday in June (6/3/2006) so put it on your calander now.

[i]Originally posted by WBNiner[/i]@Jun 3 2005, 10:58 AM [b] I read this website along with a few others and this is the FIRST time I have ever heard of this! No phone call, no mailing... nothing! That is awful! This AD does a horrible job at getting the word out. [/b]
WB, you need to call the Athletic Department and/or Foundation and find out why you did not receive the mailing about this event. [The auction is also prominently noted on Charlotte49ers.com.]

My wife and I got our invitation some time ago (won’t make this year’s event as we’re getting ready for our daughter’s high school graduation). This event is very successful, as Nugget points out.

Maybe you need to blame the postmaster instead of the AD on this one! <_<

Yeah, I got my invitation a good while back and the same can be said for every year I’ve been in the 49er Club. Can’t make it this year but they have some really nice items.

Instead of the 22nd Annual Great Gold Rush Auction, wouldn’t we raise more money with the Annual Great Gold DUSTER Auction?

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jun 3 2005, 02:42 PM [b] Yeah, I got my invitation a good while back and the same can be said for every year I've been in the 49er Club. Can't make it this year but they have some really nice items. [/b]
Same here. Seems once I gave a little $$ I get something in the mail about once a month now! :lol:

I’m going to say something controversial. I may be unpopular, but it needs to be said.

If you want to buy Niner gear, don’t buy it at this auction!
Anyone who’s going, mention that you won’t buy from the auction until there is FOOTBALL!

1. WBNiner, the auction has been around for years. I find it hard to believe that you’ve never heard of it. You seem to be one of the ones that cares to play “bash the AD” so I would assume that you’ve read her biography in a game program, media guide or on Charlotte49ers.com. Rose was the brainchild of the auction and she deserves credit ofr it.
[b]Early in her administrative career, Rose pioneered the department's most successful fund raiser, the annual Great Gold Rush Auction. The one-night extravaganza began in 1984 and generated in excess of $1.87 million in its 17-year history, including more than $100,000 each of the last 14 years.[/b]
You have the right to bash if you want, but to say you weren't notified is wrong. Sometimes you must be your own messenger and strive to find out a thing or two for yourself instead of waiting for it to come to you.
  1. stonecold, with all respect, I’m tired of hearing the football argument. If you’re not going to contribute UNTIL there is a team, shut up until then. Otherwise, get out the checkbook, football isn’t going to ever happen until the entire program is more self-sustaining. And no, I’m not anti-football, I’m not going to see the demise of the rest of the program when some here won’t assist in fully scholarshipping the teams currently in place.

Everyone have a good time Saturday night at the auction!

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jun 3 2005, 03:21 PM [b]I'm tired of hearing the football argument. If you're not going to contribute UNTIL there is a team, shut up until then. Otherwise, get out the checkbook, football isn't going to ever happen until the entire program is more self-sustaining. And no, I'm not anti-football, I'm not going to see the demise of the rest of the program when some here won't assist in fully scholarshipping the teams currently in place. [/b]
werd

On my way to lift today, I saw some of the items. Looks pretty nice…too bad i couldn’t walk thru the court to look around. Looks like you guys will have some good things to bid on.

Lunch with Jay Bilas, dinner with John Fox…

Some pretty cool stuff.

Actually as I walked by they had both Bilas and Fox stuffed into boxes. They were only giving them scraps from RDH.

Wife and I are part of a table of 10. Have gone for a few years now and buy and enjoy the evening immensely. Cannot figure out how not supporting basketball will get you a football team.

This will be my first year attending. I dropped off an item today to be bid on (very nice Wall Safe) and took the opportunity to look around. It was amazing the variety of items that will be auctioned. I was hoping for some authentic jerseys, baseball hats from the team etc, but didn’t see much of that. Although, I won’t have any problems finding items to blow my money on.

There were alot of people in the athletic dept. pitching in. I saw and spoke briefly with Bobby Lutz. Also noticed Coach Hibbs and many others hard at it. Was most impressed by Mrs. Mike Hummer. Not sure how that happened but I am going to shake his hand next time I see him :smiley:

Also ran into a snazzy Nick McKentire. This cat dresses better than Regis hands down!!!

I would appreciate in advance no one bidding against me for the R2D2 life size drink coolers…that is going to be my sons haloween costume this year. :smiley:

Also I plan to take home the “Host Your Own Radio Sports Show” from 790 the ball. For one hour from 6-7pm houst the show with co-host Mark Amazon. I will have this on 2-11-06 so everyone will be able to hear all about the Niners on the way to the game at the Joel. Assuming the signal goes that far after 6pm.

What is the cost to attend?

[i]Originally posted by NinerAl[/i]@Jun 3 2005, 09:06 PM [b] Also I plan to take home the "Host Your Own Radio Sports Show" from 790 the ball. For one hour from 6-7pm houst the show with co-host Mark Amazon. I will have this on 2-11-06 so everyone will be able to hear all about the Niners on the way to the game at the Joel. Assuming the signal goes that far after 6pm. [/b]
You can't be intoxicated and broadcast on the radio at the same time. B) You can be certain I will phone in and discuss the game. Beware in advance, Marc is well versed in Cincy basketball history (loves to bring up the coin incident with me) and the Plavich shot against Indiana (he's a graduate).

However, Amazon could even make you sound good on the air waves. And yes, the signal should reach past K-town at that time. They are also going to begin streaming their programming over the internet within the next few weeks.

Empty the wallet Alan, the real Boston parquet floor signed by Maxwell is from my collection.

Went last year and enjoyed it. Can’t make it this year. Everyone spend a lot of money.