27 Game Schedule

Why do we only schedule 27 games when we could play 28 (29 if the Cable Car Classic counts as 1)?

I’m also wondering why we only had one exhibition game this year?

Part of the reason that we had only one exhibition is the new NCAA rules change this year that you cannot play professional teams in exhibitions. This might be why, I don’t know though.

It’s 28 when you count the opening round game in the C-USA tourney (1st or 2nd round, depending upon whether we get a bye). I don’t think the Cable Car is an exempt tourney, thus it counts as 2 games.

We played only 1 exhibition (4 if you count the Tour of Toronto) because we also played a closed-scrimmage against South Carolina.

BTW, this from Andy Katz about the 28-game schedule:

Rule may go by wayside next season

It’s 28 regular season games so the 1st CUSA tourney game doesn’t count. I just don’t understand how we can complain about not having enough home games when we don’t schedule as many games as we possibly can.

S. Carolina sitll played 2 exhibitions this year, so I don’t think that adds up.

Can anyone with an inside perspective let me know why?

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 04:02 PM [b] S. Carolina sitll played 2 exhibitions this year, so I don't think that adds up.

Can anyone with an inside perspective let me know why? [/b]

This has been said several times, but hopefully the less rgeulars see it this time: existing exhibition game contracts were grandfathered under the new rule. A few teams have/get to play theirs out still.

From the Andy Katz piece mentioned/linked above:

Currently, the NCAA allows teams to play in 28 regular-season games, which includes one game for a conference tournament and one game for an exempt event if a team is eligible. If a team goes on a foreign tour in the spring, summer or fall, then the team cannot play in an exempt event in the ensuing season.

With 27 games from Long Beach State on 11/19 through South Florida on 3/5, plus the first game we play in the C-USA tourney in Memphis, we have our 28-game regular season schedule.

South Carolina played 1 exhibition versus USC-Upstate.

Link: South Carolina 2004-05 Men’s Hoops Schedule

It was Coach Lutz’s decision to only play 1 exhibition, plus the closed-scrimmage versus the Gamecocks. We weren’t the only 2 schools to do that.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 03:12 PM [b] From the Andy Katz piece mentioned/linked above:

Currently, the NCAA allows teams to play in 28 regular-season games, which includes one game for a conference tournament and one game for an exempt event if a team is eligible. If a team goes on a foreign tour in the spring, summer or fall, then the team cannot play in an exempt event in the ensuing season.

With 27 games from Long Beach State on 11/19 through South Florida on 3/5, plus the first game we play in the C-USA tourney in Memphis, we have our 28-game regular season schedule.

South Carolina played 1 exhibition versus USC-Upstate.

Link: South Carolina 2004-05 Men’s Hoops Schedule

It was Coach Lutz’s decision to only play 1 exhibition, plus the closed-scrimmage versus the Gamecocks. We weren’t the only 2 schools to do that. [/b]

Run- I don’t think you get it. The first game of C-USA tourney is not a regular season game.

Mike, the first game the conference tournament does count as a regular season game. Again, quoting Katz:

…the NCAA allows teams to play in 28 regular-season games, which includes one game for a conference tournament

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 19 2004, 04:03 PM [b] Mike, the first game the conference tournament does count as a regular season game. Again, quoting Katz:

…the NCAA allows teams to play in 28 regular-season games, which includes one game for a conference tournament [/b]

you are correct sir and I’m humbled by your clarification…