28 Three Pointers

What the hell are we thinking? Hello Bobby!!! Discipline your team.

It would be one thing if we had 28 good looks. We did not.

I am glad someone agrees with me rgarding the discipline.

Like we always say at the end of the year - there is always next year. things will change next year.

Same story every year.

GW, with the help of Temple, gave us every opportunity to make it to the big dance.

how about free-throws?

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;160293]how about free-throws?[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about!!! They were awesome tonight. I mean come on, Nance’s second to last one was amazing, swish, all air.

Excuse me, I just threw up.

To be fair, we had a lot of wide open looks. The only ones that were questionable were the few Withers took 5 seconds into the clock. We have to let Bennett, DA and Lee shoot open 3s anytime they get them. Just weren’t falling tonight.

To me it is more baffling the “defense” we played down the stretch. Our entire defensive gameplan in the paint revolves around Chris Nance flopping for a charge or a block.

Not our night, not our season. It won’t change next year, but maybe we will hit some shots and win a few more games.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;160285]What the hell are we thinking? Hello Bobby!!! Discipline your team.[/QUOTE]

How many times do you have to watch it before you shrug? That is Lutz offense. You can’t complain, but you can call for him to be fired.

He is a bad coach.

[QUOTE=NinerUpNorth;160299]You can’t complain, but you can call for him to be fired.
He is a bad coach.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing, he will never be fired from this school. On another note, I am not sure who we could replace him with at the salary this school is willing to pay.

Why does no one understand that the only way Lutz is not the coach at Charlotte is if Lutz decides to leave?

Unless someone is going to pony up the money it would cost to let him go and get another coach that will do a better job, why bother bringing it up?

We took a bunch of ill-advised 3’s but this game was lost because of our idiotic defensive choices. We allowed them to shoot over our zone for the entire first half. Then when we switched to man-to-man midway through the 2nd half, we actually took the lead back. Then for some dumbass reason, Lutz went back to a zone and guess what: we trail again. Have no clue what he was thinking tonight but I’d love for someone to explain it.

Free throws killed us as well but our defense (or lack thereof) is why we’re one-and-done. No offense to Xavier and I hate spewing sour grapes but they are not that good of a team. We just flat out let them eat us alive on offense and we played completely timid on offense for the majority of the game. When we finally acted like we wanted to win, it was too late in the game.

Just saw nothing from our team tonight that warranted us playing in ANY postseason tournament. But because the lackluster NIT takes some of the leftovers, I guess we can all get our hopes up again, only to choke as usual.

Lutz = Dee Dee Dee

We play like we are trying to cover something up, what gives are we really that bad at a couple of positions, need to protect something ?

why were we doing zone the whole game. they were not as deep as us and couldnt take us off the dribble. we should have played man to man. when a guy like wolf has 9 points you know youre playing bad defense. a guy like that only shoots when hes open.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;160291]It would be one thing if we had 28 good looks. We did not.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is most of them were good, if not great, looks. Mitchell, or the lack of a productive PG killed this team again.

This just in:

We just shot another three pointer, missed a layup, threw a 95 mph fastball to the rim on a free throw, and Bobby just got his second techincal at the airport and now he can’t board the plane.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;160312]We took a bunch of ill-advised 3’s but this game was lost because of our idiotic defensive choices. We allowed them to shoot over our zone for the entire first half. Then when we switched to man-to-man midway through the 2nd half, we actually took the lead back. Then for some dumbass reason, Lutz went back to a zone and guess what: we trail again. Have no clue what he was thinking tonight but I’d love for someone to explain it. [/QUOTE]

The defense was awefull and what’s up with Curt playing soft in the paint in the first half…he gave up 3-4 easy layups to avoid a foul?

I think 22 of the 28 3’s were pretty good looks, particularly the passes from Curt down low…we missed half dozen 3’s where the defenders were 10+ feet away!

Sad thing is most of them were good, if not great, looks. Mitchell, or the lack of a productive PG killed this team again.

Mitch can’t put himself in the game for as long as he plays. He’s only playing as much as Lutz allows him to play. Mitch has been a terrible PG this year but if Bobby is gonna continue to play him this much then I almost can’t fault Mitch. Lutz has made really poor choices this year when it comes to Mitch and I think it has cost us several games.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;160330]We play like we are trying to cover something up, what gives are we really that bad at a couple of positions, need to protect something ?[/QUOTE]
We have no interior defense at all. Inside the paint either Nance takes a charge, we foul them (usually for a 3 point play) or we just let them score.

The zone late in the game was questionable, but how many 3’s did they hit when the game went from 54-50 Charlotte to 59-55 them? Zero by my count. They pounded it inside and exploited our biggest hole all season long. It would have been uglier(if possible) if we had stayed in the man and they went inside. We have no one-on-one defenders down low. Miller is a reasonably smart man, Lutz knew this, he knew Miller would go inside once we took that lead, so we switch to zone to try to help out our big men.

I think it was the right call though, few teams would jack up 3’s in that situation (down by 4 with about 4 minutes left). You have to expect them to go inside, and Lutz did, he tried to stop it. It didn’t work, we lose, tough luck.

Here is my frustration.

Keeping Nance in the game with 4 fouls. He played scared after that because he didn’t want to foul out.

Bring in FOUL-Truck Coleman for some serious hacking instead of letting Xavier take three foot shots.

or put someone quicker down low like Alexander.