2k starts the Southern Miss pregame chat page

Blue lot pass claimed.

And here we are folks. 4 and motherf+;*;+ā€™ 4.

If we donā€™t come out completely flat against Umass and play like dirt in MTSU weā€™re bowling rn.

The Big Green Machine! This defense is fierce. Heck of a job today!

Strange game today. Southern Miss replacement QB was better than their starter and is a true freshman. 3 replay reviews all went against us. IMO, 2 of them were blown by the refs and maybe the third. Itā€™ll be interesting to see how many Vol fans show up next week.

1 Like

I watched most of the game. We struggled on offense and Shirreffs didnā€™t do much and the Defense played very well but looking at the statsā€¦itā€™s amazing we won this game and never trailed.

We gave up 297 yards passing and 2 TDs and 129 yards rushing

We passed for 87 yards (Shirreffs was 8 for 14) and ran for 146.

They outgained us 426 to 224!!!

3 TOā€™s and a missed FG all combined to kill themā€¦but I doubt weā€™ll ever win another game when a team outgains us by over 200 yards!!!

We only gave up like 160 yds last week, but I am not sure how much we gained. I guess it was our turn for once

To be fair, a lot of their yards came late. Last quarter and a half the defense was gassed due to the offense. A LOT of cramping by the D. Several were even drinking what looked like pedilite.

The refs completely screwed us today. Happy we still won.

1 Like

ESPN.com: Game summary - Southern Miss @ Charlotte, 10-27-2018

Refs made some pretty bad review calls. I didnā€™t have an issue with their ā€œin gameā€ calls so much, but there was no way that was a forward pass, and we had the ball secure with two feet down in the endzone. The third call, their ā€œpoint touching the groundā€ touchdown, was as close of a tossup as they got out of those three calls.

I donā€™t have an issue with the calls except the QB fumble that was called an incompletion. It was a close one though. Kofa didnā€™t make that catch. He was still bobbling it as he went out. The one angle was a good view. However, it was equally as close as the incomplete pass call and if they keep the call on the field for one they should have done it for the other. The So. Miss. TD call had no good angles that I could see to overturn it. That was an easy call in my opinion.

Our offense struggled, but So. Miss is strong against the run. My review of ES stays the same as last game. He can make any throw out there, but his decision making and the ability to read the 2nd and 3rd option while keeping the play alive needs work. The throw into triple coverage was just a poor decision. The O Line is not going to give him 5 seconds so he has to improve his read speed.

We gave up 144 last week and gained 359 last week ourselves. It happens.

Did you happen to see the pass interference no-call on that play? Maybe he didnā€™t ā€œpossessā€ the ball, but dammit, there was defensive interference on the play that was not flagged.

Offense actually looked pretty good at times, especially first half and on a couple key second half drives. We simply tried to run almost exclusively in the 2nd half with the lead.

Yeah, like we were playing ā€œnot to loseā€. Thankfully we didnā€™t this time.

Ball was stable in his hands when his two feet came down in the endzone. What happens after that means jack.

2 Likes

But they donā€™t make that call based on a review. I was talking about whether he made the catch or not. There will always be calls that go for and against a team. We managed to not let the refs decide the game and thatā€™s what you have to do to win many times.

Their DB also blatantly pushed off on our receiver on our interception with 3 referees looking right at it and no flag was thrown.

1 Like

Give Jonathan Cruz a lot of props for yesterdayā€™s win. We made like four FGs all of last season. Cruz hit two FGs yesterday with the last one basically securing the game.

2 Likes