3 Year Contract Extension for Alan Major

A two-year extension would have been plenty if they are set on giving Major the chance to coach the two transfers he brought in, regardless of the results this coming season. He had 2 remaining on his original contract, so there was no need to extend for more than two in order to give him a shot with his transfers and incorporate the recruiting comfort buffer required. The extra year is too much of a financial risk given what we just went through with paying Lutz not to coach.

Curious about this as well. I hope Major works out but if he doesn’t I don’t want the Lutz situation again where we are paying him for several years to coach somewhere else. And on the flip side if he succeeds here what is a potential buyout figure if he were to go after a higher profile gig.

Curious about this as well. I hope Major works out but if he doesn’t I don’t want the Lutz situation again where we are paying him for several years to coach somewhere else. And on the flip side if he succeeds here what is a potential buyout figure if he were to go after a higher profile gig.[/quote]Bingo.

I’d like to meet Major’s agent. Have to believe he/she bargained pretty hard for the extra year.

Tom Sorensen ‏[size=12px]@tomsorensen[/size][size=12px]3m[/size][/color][font=Arial][size=14px]Charlotte basketball coach Alan Major, who has 2 years remaining on contract, receives a 3-year extension from 49ers. I have no idea why.[/size][/font][color=rgb(187, 187, 187)]

And he is correct

They weren’t going to leave him as a sitting duck. I don’t see what all the heartburn is really about. I want to win more too, but the only real thing that has gotten my attention was EVic transferring.

It is, what it is…

Why is this a big deal?

So what if we fire him after 2 more years? It just means the University owes him money. Nothing more, nothing less. And in the grand scheme of things, it’s peanuts.

well now

[quote=“hootie, post:30, topic:27813”]Why is this a big deal?

So what if we fire him after 2 more years? It just means the University owes him money. Nothing more, nothing less. And in the grand scheme of things, it’s peanuts.[/quote]

It’ll be a million wasted peanuts if we were to fire him with two years left on his contract.

Good move as long as that win total keeps going up every season.

[quote=“X-49er, post:32, topic:27813”][quote=“hootie, post:30, topic:27813”]Why is this a big deal?

So what if we fire him after 2 more years? It just means the University owes him money. Nothing more, nothing less. And in the grand scheme of things, it’s peanuts.[/quote]

It’ll be a million wasted peanuts if we were to fire him with two years left on his contract.[/quote]

Are you saying peanuts are worth $1 each!?! I have a bunch of peanuts I can sell you for only $.90 each! Think of the savings!! :))

Dude, you’ve always said that if we want to be a bigtime program you have to act bigtime. Whether he is the answer or not is debatable but you can’t have the coach of your flagship program trying to recruit as a lame duck. You know that.

I would have to say that one high profile transfer may have secured this extension.

Dude, you’ve always said that if we want to be a bigtime program you have to act bigtime. Whether he is the answer or not is debatable but you can’t have the coach of your flagship program trying to recruit as a lame duck. You know that.[/quote]

The very definition of “Big Time” is being able to fire a coach with years left on his contract. We’ve proven we are willing to do so if need be.

I’m not too pleased with the decision.

Earlier today I thought Major’s original contract was three years not five. So a three year extension means five more years (two existing + three new) instead of 3 more years.

I feel in this situation a one or two year extension would have been appropriate.

I know what Judy is thinking - he has “improved” every season.

Season one: No A-10 Tournament.
Season two: Made A-10 Tournament, lost first round.
Season three: Made A-10 Tournament, barely won first round on crazy unique situation (Richmond). Made NIT, lost first round.

Technically this shows improvement three years in a row - but I personally believe Major is still behind where Lutz even was. Although, his teams are much more consistent than Lutz’s. One of the reason’s Judy liked Major was because of his previous experience at Xavier in the A-10, but now we won’t be in the A-10.

I think he deserved an extension but not three years IMHO.

:-\

(looks down, shakes head slowly, picks head up, claps 3 times)

:))