3's......8-of-53 at home!!

Are you kidding me? Do the math people - that’s 15%. Every single one of us could go behind the 3-point line and make 15 out of 100 threes. (Minus the 7-footers in our face, of course, but you get the point.)

Serious question here: I’m out on the West Coast and haven’t got to watch any of the games so far…Is it merely the shooting issues that are making us look like the embarrassment we are right now, or is it more than that?

I know most of you will say it’s more than that, simply out of frustration. But seriously, are we moving the ball, getting good looks at it, hustling for loose balls, going hard after rebounds, running the break well (sounds like that has to be impossible), pressing at all, etc?

From what it sounds like, Mitch and Lee are outright killing us right now, and guard play wins games in college, obviously. I’m hearing that this team looks liek the worst in 15-20 years, but I just can’t imagine that with the guys we have out there. Someone who knows the game well PLEASE give me an HONEST report on this team so far, because it’s killing me not being able to watch this happen to our guys!!!
-G-

In my opinion, we just can’t make shots. We seem to be moving the ball well and most of the 3’s we’re taking are open shots. It’s one thing to take terrible shots but we’re getting the looks. They are simply just not falling down for us like they have in the past.

But I just don’t get why despite that, we continue to force the issue. After the half, we made a serious effort to pound the ball inside to Curt and he was unstoppable. Just not sure why we continue to jack up 3’s when we’re obviously shooting them so poorly. I think Bobby is the type of coach that wants his guys to play out of slumps (a reason EJ got so many minutes) but sometimes that can be a liability. Sometimes you just have to adjust to compensate for your weaknesses (slumps) and we’re not really doing that consistently.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;141649]In my opinion, we just can’t make shots. We seem to be moving the ball well and most of the 3’s we’re taking are open shots. It’s one thing to take terrible shots but we’re getting the looks. They are simply just not falling down for us like they have in the past.

But I just don’t get why despite that, we continue to force the issue. After the half, we made a serious effort to pound the ball inside to Curt and he was unstoppable. Just not sure why we continue to jack up 3’s when we’re obviously shooting them so poorly. I think Bobby is the type of coach that wants his guys to play out of slumps (a reason EJ got so many minutes) but sometimes that can be a liability. Sometimes you just have to adjust to compensate for your weaknesses (slumps) and we’re not really doing that consistently.[/QUOTE]

Once again under Lutz we are a 3 point shooting team that cannot shoot.

Leemire and EJ shoud be riding pine.

DA is no 3 point shooter.

Bennett looks like he is our only pure shooter.

I don’t know what Planet Baldwin is on but he is not giving the effort we are used to. I wonder if he has lost interest in this team.

[QUOTE=GMadness;141645]Are you kidding me? Do the math people - that’s 15%. Every single one of us could go behind the 3-point line and make 15 out of 100 threes. (Minus the 7-footers in our face, of course, but you get the point.)

Serious question here: I’m out on the West Coast and haven’t got to watch any of the games so far…Is it merely the shooting issues that are making us look like the embarrassment we are right now, or is it more than that?

I know most of you will say it’s more than that, simply out of frustration. But seriously, are we moving the ball, getting good looks at it, hustling for loose balls, going hard after rebounds, running the break well (sounds like that has to be impossible), pressing at all, etc?

From what it sounds like, Mitch and Lee are outright killing us right now, and guard play wins games in college, obviously. I’m hearing that this team looks liek the worst in 15-20 years, but I just can’t imagine that with the guys we have out there. Someone who knows the game well PLEASE give me an HONEST report on this team so far, because it’s killing me not being able to watch this happen to our guys!!!
-G-[/QUO

There have been a lot of good posts about about our play (or lack thereof). Simply put, we cannot hit a jumpshot from anywhere on the floor, the defense packs it in the paint, we force it inside or Withers try to dribble through a triple team and well - you get the point. We are forced to take outside shots and the shots we are missing are not bad shots and we should be hitting a fair percentage of them. Many on here blame the coach, I just don’t get it. Now if you want to complain about him recruiting these guys you may have a point. Chris Sager would have scored in double figures in our last two home games.

we aren’t getting our 3 shooter (marcus bennett) the ball enough. If anyone will make 3’s consistantly this year it will be him. That is my feeling. All the other clowns who are attempting 3’s need to step inside the line and drive and get a foul so we can make free throws.

the other thing with marcus is that he has a cast on still…he’ll get it off soon and start hitting it even more

bennett is also the nicest guy on the team with a lot of energy…i guess thats what 3 years of no bball willl do for ya

Hey Gmadness, You gonna be around for the Indiana game Dec 19?
-B

Short answer is… We don’t shoot very well. They are getting the ball into 3 but he turns itover a lot. 50 % of the time he does well but other times he forces moves/shots and it results in a turnover. EJ is pathetic. DA only reacts to shots - he never creates offense. This drives me crazy since he is so talented.

In past years, Jobey/Diego/Demon/Brendan shot well enough from the outside to get us over the hump… This year, I dunno. …

We’re just not a 3-point team.

I’m sure that will all change once Marcus begins starting games…crosses fingers…Son of a gun is streaky.

Well it sounds like all of our troubles come down to shooting. Our defence this year has been better than the past, and were rebounding the ball really well. I think it’s just a matter of time until Lee has a breakout game, same with EJ. Once the Juco’s get a bit more settled.

It’s not like were shooting good but were losing games on hustle and just getting outplayed. As soon as we find our shot we will be fine

I don't know what Planet Baldwin is on but he is not giving the effort we are used to. I wonder if he has lost interest in this team.

Perhaps it is a trickle down effect from when Bobby apparently lost interest in the team late in the season last year as he pursued greener pastures. If I were on the team, I’d find it a little harder to play for someone who was willing to leave the team for a better opportunity.

Check the box score again… we were 4-23 from 3… 17.4%. Not much better, but we didn’t shoot 53 3 pointers. We were 20-53 overall (2 and 3 ponters).

The only thing keeping Mitch off the bench right now, IMO, is the lack of another option. He’s been awful this year. Just horrendous. Either Lewis really is terrible or Lutz has no interest in placing the teams in the hands of a redshirt frosh or a sophomore SG in a horrible shooting funk.

We’re missing the token white guy that can hit 3’s.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;141649]In my opinion, we just can’t make shots. We seem to be moving the ball well and most of the 3’s we’re taking are open shots. It’s one thing to take terrible shots but we’re getting the looks. They are simply just not falling down for us like they have in the past.

But I just don’t get why despite that, we continue to force the issue. After the half, we made a serious effort to pound the ball inside to Curt and he was unstoppable. Just not sure why we continue to jack up 3’s when we’re obviously shooting them so poorly. I think Bobby is the type of coach that wants his guys to play out of slumps (a reason EJ got so many minutes) but sometimes that can be a liability. Sometimes you just have to adjust to compensate for your weaknesses (slumps) and we’re not really doing that consistently.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jcl and others assessment. The threes are open and we’re just missing them (partly average shooters, partly major slump).

We’re not taking as many quick shots now, something Alexander said the coaches have been preaching in practice. Make the defense work and get a good shot. Alexander did get yanked after taking a bad shot. Lutz had a good talking to with Goldwire.

Lutz does let his shooters shoot out of slumps. Goldwire and Drayton are good shooters, or at least have been in the past. We need them or someone from the perimeter. Good to see Bennett stepping up.

Check the box score again... we were 4-[B]23[/B] from 3... 17.4%. Not much better, but we didn't shoot 53 3 pointers. We were 20-53 overall (2 and 3 ponters).

4 of 30 vs. MSU (13.33%)
4 of 23 vs. Portland (17.4%).

8 of 53 for 2 homes games (15.1%)

Quoting the "O ":
“It’s tough to win on this level if you don’t hit 3s,” Lutz said. “You can’t do it with 2s, the power of the 3 is so strong.”

Apparently Lutz has decided the 3 will continue to be the core of the offense even though we’ve proven that we can’t shoot the 3 worth a $#it with this team! This doesn’t bode well for the balance of the year!
:weep:

The answer is simple…we can’t shoot!

I have sat through 3 home games just watching us jack up 3 after 3 with no change. It’s pathetic. We are getting good looks…just not hitting the shot.

(If I watch Lee put up 1 more 3 hard off the back of the rim…I’m gonna scream!)

So, apparently we’re doing most things well - aside from our inside guys getting frustrated enough that whenever they DO get to touch it, they seem to force it.

The outside shots are the shots the other team is giving us and we’re simply not making them. OK, I can live with that. If we weren’t hustling, if we were forcing up bad threes, or playing poor team defense, then I would worry.

I don’t believe for a second Lutz or Mitch has lost interest in the team. That’s ridiculous. Luts isn’t going anywhere, especially a place with a tradition as low as Tennessee or someone else on that level. Clemson may be the only logical choice since he was there before, but seriously doubt it.

I think we all know Leemire proved last year he could shoot the ball and EJ proved last year he is a solid player, too. Aside from that, what you guys are telling me is that I shouldn’t worry. And I don’t plan to - anymore at least! Cause I was worrying like hell until now. Shots will fall. Junior high teams don’t even shoot 15%. It’ll turn around.

007, doesn’t look like I’ll make it for the Indiana game, but I will be in NC from the 25th-29th. Only in Charlotte two of those days, though. No games in that time either. Bummer.
-G-