49 is our Magic Number

Just spent a couple minutes researching a trend I’ve noticed this season - The 49ers are undefeated when they are the first team to reach 49 points.

1st to 49 Not 1st to 49

Charleston Southern W Miami L
Georgia Southern W FSU L
Lamar W Richmond L
Texas State W George Washington L
Oral Roberts W Temple L
Northeastern W VCU L
East Carolina W Saint Louis L
Davidson W Temple L
Central Michigan W
Kennesaw State W
Radford W
UNC Asheville W
LaSalle W
Rhode Island W
Fordham W
Xavier W
UMass W
Butler W

A random stat that may not mean anything (except maybe that we are a defense first team with ZERO ability for comeback wins) but we now know that if our team can’t get to 49 points first - it will go in the loss column.

[size=12px]49 is the magic number.[/size]

Today I thought is might take magic for us to score 49 points.

Another trend, when we lose, more times than not we do it in embarrassing fashion.

To add on to this…in all the “blowout losses” we made the final scores dramatically worse in the last 4-5 minutes. In all of them, the lead expanded by 8-10 points or more over those last few minutes. No, it doesn’t change the result but it certainly does add to the negative “pub” that comes from a loss (ie; lose to Miami by 10, no big deal—by 31, big deal------lose on the road to SLU by 8-9, ok…by 18 not so much-----Temple by 8-9, not terrible…20=terrible!!!).

To add on to this…in all the “blowout losses” we made the final scores dramatically worse in the last 4-5 minutes. In all of them, the lead expanded by 8-10 points or more over those last few minutes. No, it doesn’t change the result but it certainly does add to the negative “pub” that comes from a loss (ie; lose to Miami by 10, no big deal—by 31, big deal------lose on the road to SLU by 8-9, ok…by 18 not so much-----Temple by 8-9, not terrible…20=terrible!!!).[/quote]

Agree - and I said in other threads we here might have a firm understanding of why, benches cleared, we can’t shoot 3s, etc - but the fact is when I walk into work some of the people that on Friday were asking me about the big game are now laughing at us. Public perception is getting killed, which impacts games on tv, advertising dollars, radio coverage and a ton of other related things.

Are you worried about public perception or trying to win the game?

Well ideally we do both. Obviously I want to win - just kills me the next day when what could have been a respectable loss becomes a blow out. Like I said we know what the reasons are and I am fine with it because I want to win, but the public just sees the score in the paper or online and laughs at another Niner blow out - which hurts us.

In other words how bout we just quit losing in blow outs and go win some more games? :slight_smile:

Well ideally we do both. Obviously I want to win - just kills me the next day when what could have been a respectable loss becomes a blow out. Like I said we know what the reasons are and I am fine with it because I want to win, but the public just sees the score in the paper or online and laughs at another Niner blow out - which hurts us.

In other words how bout we just quit losing in blow outs and go win some more games? :)[/quote]

This!!! Can’t understand how anyone can’t see how these KINDS of losses hurt us.

All these blowouts are definitely taking their toll on the season.

To add on to this…in all the “blowout losses” we made the final scores dramatically worse in the last 4-5 minutes. In all of them, the lead expanded by 8-10 points or more over those last few minutes. No, it doesn’t change the result but it certainly does add to the negative “pub” that comes from a loss (ie; lose to Miami by 10, no big deal—by 31, big deal------lose on the road to SLU by 8-9, ok…by 18 not so much-----Temple by 8-9, not terrible…20=terrible!!!).[/quote]

Agree - and I said in other threads we here might have a firm understanding of why, benches cleared, we can’t shoot 3s, etc - but the fact is when I walk into work some of the people that on Friday were asking me about the big game are now laughing at us. Public perception is getting killed, which impacts games on tv, advertising dollars, radio coverage and a ton of other related things.[/quote]

…and attendance.

I’m sure the million church groups there yesterday are dying to show up Wednesday night to support the niners. However, it is a church night.

I’m afraid to add up all the scores, but I wonder if we have even scored more total points than our opponents. We continue getting blowout losses while our wins are usually by a much lesser amount.

I’m afraid to add up all the scores, but I wonder if we have even scored more total points than our opponents. We continue getting blowout losses while our wins are usually by a much lesser amount.[/quote]

Offense up 2 points. Was I think 8-9 earlier this year.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/north-carolina-charlotte