49 Problems - Analyzing the Charlotte Effect

http://www.yosefscabin.com/49-problems-analyzing-the-charlotte-effect/

solid article.

Very well-done article. Other than the sour grapes excuse for why CUSA chose Charlotte other than App, this article was on the money.

Didn’t hear we lost our game vs. ODU next year. That sucks.

Why do App fans call us fair weather when they can’t more than 1500 people together to watch an athletic event other than their 6 home games.

It is nice to have actual discussion with those guys instead of the constant jabs back and forth. That was the most fair and accurate thing I believe I have yet read from another fan base regarding our program. I think the best analysis is ODU is our ceiling, GA State is the floor. I think we fall somewhere in the middle, and I’m ok with that. We don’t have all the obstacles GA State did, yet we don’t have everything in our favor quite the way ODU did. Excited for the fall, and really excited for that road basketball game in boone

Yeah noone wants to talk about how solid our program is in general and how we STiLL have good attendance despite the tournament drought in bball. Nobody wants to look at the real facts.

I drove through Boone for the first time the other week to get to Lake Watauga and it seems pleasant enough but damn can you imagine teams getting up there for a game after having taken a plane trip already? They are lucky they got the SB Just based on the travel issues. Will be no problem for Charlotte since we can just bus straight up there but can you imagine flying in from Texas and then bussing your team up there in the winter? Yuck.

But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

I also don’t agree with what he said about being in our TV market (he also claimed the triad???). How the hell is that the case? If the get Charlotte TV that doesn’t mean they are in our market. They are two hours away for goodness sake.

[quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:27953”]But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

I also don’t agree with what he said about being in our TV market (he also claimed the triad???). How the hell is that the case? If the get Charlotte TV that doesn’t mean they are in our market. They are two hours away for goodness sake.[/quote]

Dude, it’s an app state article, did you expect him to write about the eminent doom in the form of the Charlotte 49ers? That would be like if somebody at green tinted glasses wrote an article saying our basketball program was dead on arrival after Davidson got an invite to the a10. It really wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

As for the TV market thing, I will never understand an App person’s perspective on what a television market is. I don’t even think they get cable up there.

that made me laugh

I’ll be interested to see App attendance in the SunBelt. Their fans continue to say it is more exposure (which is) but the exposure comes on Tuesday nights or on Thursday night (when there are 2-3 bigger games on).

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/07/sun-belt-conference-announces-2013-football-tv-schedule/

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:11, topic:27953”]I’ll be interested to see App attendance in the SunBelt. Their fans continue to say it is more exposure (which is) but the exposure comes on Tuesday nights or on Thursday night (when there are 2-3 bigger games on).

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/07/sun-belt-conference-announces-2013-football-tv-schedule/[/quote]

Yeah since so many of their fans have to travel in for the game how many are going to make it out for some of those week night games? I am sure the first few will do fine because it is something new, but that is another challenge they will have to over come.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:9, topic:27953”][quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:27953”]But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

I also don’t agree with what he said about being in our TV market (he also claimed the triad?!? ??? ). How the hell is that the case? If the get Charlotte TV that doesn’t mean they are in our market. They are two hours away for goodness sake.[/quote]

Dude, it’s an app state article, did you expect him to write about the eminent doom in the form of the Charlotte 49ers? That would be like if somebody at green tinted glasses wrote an article saying our basketball program was dead on arrival after Davidson got an invite to the a10. It really wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

As for the TV market thing, I will never understand an App person’s perspective on what a television market is. I don’t even think they get cable up there.[/quote]You want to know how you can tell if App is in the Charlotte or Triad media markets? Do their car dealers and grocery stores advertise in our newspaper and on our TV stations. If not, then they are not.

[quote=“Nugget, post:13, topic:27953”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:9, topic:27953”][quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:27953”]But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

I also don’t agree with what he said about being in our TV market (he also claimed the triad?!? ??? ). How the hell is that the case? If the get Charlotte TV that doesn’t mean they are in our market. They are two hours away for goodness sake.[/quote]

As for the TV market thing, I will never understand an App person’s perspective on what a television market is. I don’t even think they get cable up there.[/quote]You want to know how you can tell if App is in the Charlotte or Triad media markets? Do their car dealers and grocery stores advertise in our newspaper and on our TV stations. If not, then they are not.[/quote]

They get WBTV, WSOC, WCCB, WJZY and WCNC instead of what’s in Bristol, Asheville or Roanoke. SO that’s the basis of their claim to be in the Charlotte TV market.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:14, topic:27953”][quote=“Nugget, post:13, topic:27953”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:9, topic:27953”][quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:27953”]But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

As for the TV market thing, I will never understand an App person’s perspective on what a television market is. I don’t even think they get cable up there.[/quote]You want to know how you can tell if App is in the Charlotte or Triad media markets? Do their car dealers and grocery stores advertise in our newspaper and on our TV stations. If not, then they are not.[/quote]

They get WBTV, WSOC, WCCB, WJZY and WCNC instead of what’s in Bristol, Asheville or Roanoke. SO that’s the basis of their claim to be in the Charlotte TV market.[/quote]

So basically they can watch our games if/when local stations play our games, but no one in Charlotte will be able to view their games. It’s like extra exposure for us, we got to best end of that deal.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:14, topic:27953”][quote=“Nugget, post:13, topic:27953”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:9, topic:27953”][quote=“Gassman, post:8, topic:27953”]But back to the article. It was informative and fair. I thought the author could have delved into more of the reasons he thought that we would be a threat to them.

They get WBTV, WSOC, WCCB, WJZY and WCNC instead of what’s in Bristol, Asheville or Roanoke. SO that’s the basis of their claim to be in the Charlotte TV market.[/quote]Sure they watch our stations because they have none of their own. What you don’t see is any Boone business spending money to advertise on those stations because they know that there is zero return for that. Boone viewers represent a drop in the Charlotte media pool. If their local Ford dealer knows this, you can bet ESPN and FOX know this.

FTFY :stuck_out_tongue: