49er Football Portal

Just saw this news.

Robert Downey Jr Yes GIF

4 Likes

I still expect him to get drafted and not be here next season. Just tempering my excitement at the prospect of him being back with us.

3 Likes

He could still go to the draft butttttt how common is it to withdrawal from portal 2 weeks before draft and be ā€œbackā€ with the school? Has he signed here?

1 Like

Part of what Iā€™m wondering with is the order of things hereā€¦He withdraw from the portal which one has to do to go back to their school. So if he was just turning pro, does he still even need to withdraw from the portal? A player only has until Jan. 16 to submit for draft so why would he add step(s)- also Biff retweeted this postā€¦

1 Like

I have no idea, but also a possibility some NIL deal helped out?

3 Likes

I figure he has decided itā€™s either NFL or niners. Just covering his bases. If Iā€™m him and itā€™s projected 3rd or better I leave.

Iā€™d feel so much better about next season with him lined up.

5 Likes

Hey if he goes to the NFL thatā€™s great. More power to him. I just like the vibe even if he doesnā€™t end up playing here again cause the NFL combine ranks him so high.

Thatā€™s a lot better than him transferring to Alabama.

Then getting drafted.

He made his name at Charlotte and when heā€™s playing on Sunday I want to see Charlotte as his school!

13 Likes

We need to keep adding to the nfl list so him not transferring somewhere else is a big win. WR (along with other recruits) recruits need to see that picking Charlotte wonā€™t limit their pro potential. ā€œHey kid, you wanna go pro? Well these are our guys we put in the nfl.ā€ Sure other schools can say that too but not being able to say that has to make it harder on recruiting.

It probably helps recruiting in our backyard more than anything. let your family come watch you AND weā€™ll put you in the NFL too. Staying home doesnā€™t have to be seen as you are limiting your pro potential.

5 Likes

1 Like

Knox Boyd is following Rossomando to Lamar

Boyd who is from Denton will only be 5 hours from home too

I think Iā€™m late but Taylor Thompson to JMU

A part of me is a bit sad. These guys chose us when we were a growing program and probably feel pushed out.
Another part of me is ecstatic weā€™re going to put together a team that will be awesome. We deserve it.

3 Likes

I get that. They came to Charlotte to be part of a program that gave them a chance to play at an FBS school. In a matter of two months, their competition went from Healy recruits to bigger faster and stronger players from P5 schools. Our offensive and defense lines based across all positions gained what looks like 3 inches and 30 pounds. For a lot of reserves on this roster, their distance to the field got a little further. They have to do whatā€™s best for them. But as a fan, I want the best players who want to be here to fill the roster. Taking a player with more size and upside will take this program to levels we have not seen before. Recruits from the previous regime may be collateral damage and wish them all the best but the writing on the wall is clear. The standard got a higher, choose to raise your own standard to keep the demand or walk away.

6 Likes

I completely understand the situation but I really dont like labeling an 18 year old kid who signed with Charlotte with probably excitement and dreams of D1 FB being called collateral damage. I get it but stillā€¦

When youā€™re a borderline D1 talent it can tough.

When youā€™re 18 and donā€™t have any idea about the real world outside of your HS bubble you sometimes donā€™t make the best decisions about your future. I know guys that would have been a lot better off going to a school like Radford, UNCA, etc rather than bigger schools. I know one in particular quite wellā€¦.

If I offended you, I apologize. Iā€™ll be careful about using words that could potentially trigger you. Label it whatever you want, calling it something else doesnā€™t change what it is.

I have a friend who is a local high school coach who would tell me stories of how they would work with players and their families on where they could play college football whether D2, FCS, or FBS. Parents and kids did not want anything except FBS and then they would be mad when they had no offers.

2 Likes