49ers Football: The Impact on Town and Gown

Received a card in the mail from College of Liberal Arts & Sciences inviting me to this.
http://exchange.uncc.edu/49ers-football-the-impact-on-town-and-gown-to-explore-newest-sport/

would be really nice if they gave a little more information on that event, like say, a date.

LOL, yeah, that would be nice. I assumed little things like that would on that page. The card says Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Pre-reception 6 PM. Panel 7 PM. Reception Follows. At UNC Charlotte Center City.

LOL, yeah, that would be nice. I assumed little things like that would on that page. The card says Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Pre-reception 6 PM. Panel 7 PM. Reception Follows. At UNC Charlotte Center City.[/quote]

I did too. It is a shame that you have to post the date emf. Thanks for doing that though.

People should go and demand an auto mall since they are so complementary to the whole light rail, 24-7 neighborhood thing the UC has going on.

Post game test drives.

Proof football is already ruining academics.

Proof football is already ruining academics.[/quote]

Yep. We should have listened to Dick and Bill.

WTH? Our good friend MARY C. SCHULKEN was not invited to be a panelist? :o ;D

She’s too busy writing press releases for ECU. Rumor has it she has over 100 cats now living with her.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/dhs/staff.cfm

She’s too busy writing press releases for ECU. Rumor has it she has over 100 cats now living with her.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/dhs/staff.cfm[/quote]
All the more reason to invite her now that she’s an expert on university media relations. ??? :smiley:

I have a fantasy that at just before kick off we ought to chant “F*** Bill, Dick, and Mary!” It could be OUR tradition as the kick off takes place. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even with Dick in there, some might think we’ve chosen the William and Mary Tribe to be our rivals.

I’ve decided to throw a handful of fake money up in the air. #fantasydollars

I’ve decided to throw a handful of fake money up in the air. #fantasydollars[/quote]

Maybe you can leave a big pile of fantasy dollars next to the Judy Rose Field house each game.

[quote=“49er1, post:12, topic:28045”]I have a fantasy that at just before kick off we ought to chant “F*** Bill, Dick, and Mary!” It could be OUR tradition as the kick off takes place. :p[/quote]Or you could chant, “Fuck Dick, Mary. And Bill.” Could make Mary sound like a prostitute. :stuck_out_tongue:

I attended this event today. Here is a rundown.

** no mention was made of the student ticket distribution controversy. Most likely the people attending didn’t know what was going on. I just found out tonight after I got home.

I am just going to list statements that reflect things I didn’t know or I thought were interesting.

In general it was mainly a love in with some fairly reasonable questions rating to financing the program and lots of talk about maintaining academic integrity.

Dubois -

He was concerned about noise from the stadium impacting patients at the hospital. He met with the admin of the hospital and was told there is nothing he can do about the noise so don’t worry about it. Just work with them to make sure traffic does not affect patient access during the peak traffic times.

He talked about how Major has had to dismiss three of his best players since he has been there. He stated that he didn’t do that because he wanted to lose, but rather to maintain our standards.

He stated that with 18 and 19 year olds you are always going to have some issues in your program just like you have the same problems in the general student body. They try to support the students in most instances and view them as “teachable moments” but once it is clear that the person involved is not teachable then it’s time for them to leave (not a direct quote)

He was asked when UNCC would break even on football financially. He said we would never break even on football even with a 40k stadium and there are only around 25 programs in all of D1 that break even on football. He said those that do are the large schools with huge stadiums that sell out. He stated that no university in NC breaks even on football. He stated that (paraphrasing here) that you can’t look at it at a purely dollars and cents aspect. The benefits of having football are hard to quantify in that manner but the benefits ARE there overall for the school and that’s why we started a program.

He focused a lot on compliance and oversight and was obviously proud of the safeguards we have in place to keep our program clean.

2nd part of run down

Rose -

She stated that they are almost set on the female sports to meet title IX compliance and the reason it has taken longer than expected is because of the conference change that came sooner than expected.

She stated that we would be changing over to a different model for meeting title IX compliance. She mentioned the two models but I am unfamiliar with them so I’m not so sure what that means.

She stated that she was more worried in the past about not having football and getting “left out” of conference expansion and realignment.

She related an anecdote about speaking to BE commissioner Dave Tranghese (sp?) in which he asked her “what are you going to do without football” and she replied “what we have been doing all along” and he said “you know you could be left out??” She felt the same way but at the time there was no plan in place for football

Someone asked how they will keep the football coaches salary from sky rocketing. She jokingly said “well you have to have the money for that and we don’t have it” (paraphrased) which got a laugh. She stated that we will try to pay the market to keep good people but we will never payout coach what nick Sabin is making (more laughs)

She also focused a lot on maintaining standards. She said that once it was out that we were starting football lots of people in the industry told her “things are going to be different or things are going to change” but they refuse to operate like that and are adamant about maintaining a clean program (paraphrased).

She stated that Brad Lambert coming from a high end academic environment at Wake helps because he is already used to the kind of program they want to run.

The main thing that hit them that they had not fully considered was the logistics of the fact that they cannot hold other events on the days of football games. They have been spoiled with that up to this point but now they have to schedule around the football days due to overcrowding on campus.

Dr. Leak the faculty member was positive on football with a bit more reserve. He praised the football staff and said they are a “solid group of guys” and he likes where they are with the balance of academics and athletics.

He stated that there is a good tone on campus with pride but humility on the part of the football program and they are integrating well with the rest of the school.

The guy from the panthers (too late can’t remember his name right now he is the president) was complimentary of the program in general. He stated that a successful athletic program at TCU where he was AD let to huge increases in student applications and more selective mess in admissions. He talked about alumni bonds and memories that are created.

He said he hoped to get some good players for the panthers from Charlotte in the future. People laughed at that but I think he was being serious.

Good stuff, Gassman. Thanks for posting.

edit: Guy from Panthers was Danny Morrison.

One additional thing from Judy Rose.

She stated that Brad Lambert (on his own without consulting with anyone so she was pleasantly surprised) reached out to all faculty to see who would be interested in being honorary coaches (2 slots per game) and he received 300 requests from faculty members that wanted to participate. She stated that this shows the faculty are interested in the program.