49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

#7 in RPI as of Oct 31. Stanford 5 Cheat 6 Clemson 1

App St 167
Marshall 130

Some real anchors left before our conf. tournament

If they can win out, there is a very real chance at hosting an entire region! They would need to climb 3 spots to be in top 4 RPI, and they could likely do that if they played Kentucky in the championship game of the conference tournament.

I’m assuming the team wasn’t expected to be nearly this good this year? I know we were expected to be good, but this seems like it might be our best (regular) season ever?

That might be hard due to the fact 2 ACC teams and 2 Pac-12 teams are in front of us. If they lose to each other in the championship game they won’t drop much if at all. We need UNC and Stanford to both lose early in their conference tournaments, and we need UMASS-Lowell to lose, or some upset in the bracket that puts a weak team in the final. Then we need to beat UNM or SC in the semis and then UK in the finals.

Not impossible, but seems like a lot of things need to break our way.

Not sure. Maybe, but 2012 and 1996 teams had great seasons as well (ie; not just in the post-season).

All I know is this group has a lot of lads that work hard and are very well-balanced. The other years, there was always something lacking in the group, but who knows, anything can happen in ‘Football’.

FYI, we are ranked #5 AGAIN in Coaches Poll…

Up to #5 in today’s poll: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

I really enjoy watching this team. Not a big soccer expert by any means, but I make it a point to tune in and watch. Plus my girls will watch it with me when they won’t watch football or basketball, so that’s nice. These guys are winners.

That might be hard due to the fact 2 ACC teams and 2 Pac-12 teams are in front of us. If they lose to each other in the championship game they won’t drop much if at all. We need UNC and Stanford to both lose early in their conference tournaments, and we need UMASS-Lowell to lose, or some upset in the bracket that puts a weak team in the final. Then we need to beat UNM or SC in the semis and then UK in the finals.

Not impossible, but seems like a lot of things need to break our way.[/quote] All that and we need to win these last two regular season games by 4 goals apiece at least. Not going to be easy given that weak teams tend to pack the defense in and hope for a fluke goal for them. Good news is that the team isn’t scared to play other good teams on the road.

I also like our chances if post season games go to penalty kicks to decide, unless our freshman keeper gets the yips.

Charlotte 1 - App 1

Lots of chances to score, but App packed the box.

Absolutely hate ties…no sport should end with a tie. Like he said, multiple chances but just couldn’t punch it in

How good was App supposed to be? In other words, how much will this loss hurt us in the rankings?

How do we tie Crap State. We have no business tying them!

Because we are Niner Nation…it was time for them to “Pull a Niner” to keep up with our bed sh!tting tradition.

Because we are Niner Nation…it was time for them to “Pull a Niner” to keep up with our bed sh!tting tradition.[/quote]

THIS^^^^

Just be glad we didn’t lose - that would have been typical Niner behavior.

How good was App supposed to be? In other words, how much will this loss hurt us in the rankings? Was this “lack of a win” as bad as it seems?

Niners weren’t ready to play when the game started. App looked pretty good before running out of gas late in regulation and in overtime. We had one off the post late and one that looked to be in the goal but wasn’t called. They had one goal called off by a less than clear offside call. We failed to get a penalty kick when everyone in the stadium could see our guy being held in the box. All in all, not a great game for the officials.

We wound up with more shots and corners by far.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:2897, topic:25684”]Niners weren’t ready to play when the game started. App looked pretty good before running out of gas late in regulation and in overtime. We had one off the post late and one that looked to be in the goal but wasn’t called. They had one goal called off by a less than clear offside call. We failed to get a penalty kick when everyone in the stadium could see our guy being held in the box. All in all, not a great game for the officials.

We wound up with more shots and corners by far.[/quote]

That about nailed it. We came out not ready to play. We didn’t turn it on until about 20 minutes left in the game. When we did finally start to play, couldn’t get it in the net.

Rough game to start out but Niners were definitely the better team out there tonight. Couldn’t catch a break with all the shots we had nor with the poor officiating. Thought we looked pretty good just one of those nights we couldn’t find a break to go our way. Guess a tie is better than a loss!

[quote author=jmitch83 link=topic=29519.msg675802#msg675802 date=1478066087]
Rough game to start out but Niners were definitely the better team out there tonight. Couldn’t catch a break with all the shots we had nor with the poor officiating. Thought we looked pretty good just one of those nights we couldn’t find a break to go our way. Guess a tie is better than a loss!

This team looks like it has a real chance to go to the cup. Tonight’s game hurt seeding wise but we beat them in shots 22-8 and thoroughly outplayed them.